Old 10-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #1

Roof Balloon

Roof Fabric Damage 340
We purchased our 2017 Crusader 5th wheel in April 2017. Took it out west for a month that June. Then, in October, as part of my husband's winter prep, he discovered several dime sized punctures in the roof fabric. We filed an insurance claim, as this was not a warranty issue. It was determined that, due the newness of our unit, it would be best to replace the entire roof fabric as opposed to just trying to patch the holes. We took our unit to a place in a repair service nearby town who does warranty work for Prime Time. (Side note: we reside only 6 miles from the place where our unit was built and have a son who works in R & D there, of course this influenced our choice &#128522

To continue, the work was completed in November to the tune of $5,500 and our unit was returned to us. This last April, we took another 5 week, about 3,000 mile trip with no roof problems. Then, on September 8th, we left home for another trip which took us to Colorado, Arizona, and now New Mexico, so far over 3,500 miles. Last week as we traveled into New Mexico, on a beautiful, sunny day, my husband just happened to look in the outside mirror of the truck and noticed that the shadow of the unit on the pavement showed something flapping in the wind on the roof. As soon as possible, he pulled off to the side of the road and climbed up to inspect the roof. To his utter amazement, the fabric had come loose from the front of the unit and billowed up causing a very large tear, about 10' long. Luckily, I keep a roll of duct tape in my kitchen and he was able to tack it down. We considered ending our trip, but after $70 worth of Flextape we decided to continue on and deal with the problem when we get home at the end of the month.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

kooldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:37 AM   #2

I’m often amazed by how many roof balloons I see on the highway when we travel it’s quite notable. It always seems to the be at the very front near the cap.

Personally, I really dislike this roofing system there are so many variables during installation and if one step is missed your roof will not last. Basically, these roofs are only as good as the glue & prep work that hold it down. We all know the RV industry is not the best nor the most consistent so that would explain why some have more issues than others. Glue on top of glue wonder if that’s the cause of it lifting up a second time.

Hopefully, your are able to warranty the roof if it’s under a year old. Open Range by Highland Ridge RV use a PVC roofing wonder if that sticks down any better that TPO?
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof