Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #21
New to Forest River
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 109
interesting. I was looking at that picture earlier, focusing up in the springs between the wheels, wondering what would have made that easier. Now I know. Do you happen to have a picture or more detailed description of what you mean exactly?
__________________

__________________
Mike & Tracy Boyd
2013 LaCrosse 318BHS Touring Edition - Forest River - Prime Time
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crewcab SB DMax/Allison
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
New to Forest River
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 109
Towmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
Mike - Tire blowouts do have a procedure to follow that often will allow for a resolution IF YOU STILL HAVE THE TIRE. If you do, contact Roger in our Prime Time Customer Service at rstickel@forestriverinc.com. Let us help you go thru the process to see if we can get you some help based on what happened with the tire.

Sorry for the difficult weekend, but we will try to help.

PTM
Thank you. Not sure your dealers are aware. I did get a number for Olga at the Towmax Customer Relations office. She has me taking the tire to a local tire dealer for an inspection in the morning for possible remediation.
__________________

__________________
Mike & Tracy Boyd
2013 LaCrosse 318BHS Touring Edition - Forest River - Prime Time
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crewcab SB DMax/Allison
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
yvesm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pembroke, NH
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedboyd View Post
After having to fix a flat (blowout) on our 4 month old trailer, losing a small structural bolt on my zero grav lounger & having our dinette table top self destruct when DW put some weight on it while making it up as a bed for ghe first time, we are ready to home. The lounger is no big deal, these things happen, but to other 2 are bothersome. Turns out the opening for the dinette table isnt square and the construction of the table top is 2 thin layers of particle board. It was too near the edge on one side and just separated and a decent size chunk broke off. Sigh.

That one is easily a warranty item but what about the blowout on a basically new tire? Think that should be covered?
Chinese tires explode....plain and simple, had blowouts on my 2011 Forest River Rocwood and I replaced the tires with US made tires. We purchased a Prime Time Tracer this spring and the first thing I did is change the tires.
__________________
2013 Prime Time 230 FBS
Days camped in 2013: April to November
Days camped in 2014...about 40
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #24
New to Forest River
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 109
Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
Mike - Tire blowouts do have a procedure to follow that often will allow for a resolution IF YOU STILL HAVE THE TIRE. If you do, contact Roger in our Prime Time Customer Service at rstickel@forestriverinc.com. Let us help you go thru the process to see if we can get you some help based on what happened with the tire.

Sorry for the difficult weekend, but we will try to help.

PTM
Acknowledging my gratitude for the your attitude , I do want to mention a couple of things.
  • An anonymous source at the dealer told me that if were buying a trailer, he'd think about buying all new tires as part of the purchase, with all of the issues with cheap-seeming tires that they see.
  • The local tire dealer that Towmax referred me to said that Towmax tires were low-end entry-level tires. Since we are calling the Lacrosse trailers 'Luxury Lite', and the quality of tire doesn't affect the weight much, I'm just wondering if the tire selection criteria might need to be reviewed. Just wonderin
__________________
Mike & Tracy Boyd
2013 LaCrosse 318BHS Touring Edition - Forest River - Prime Time
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crewcab SB DMax/Allison
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #25
New to Forest River
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 109
Liberty RV to contact PrimeTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedboyd View Post
After having to fix a flat (blowout) on our 4 month old trailer, losing a small structural bolt on my zero grav lounger & having our dinette table top self destruct when DW put some weight on it while making it up as a bed for ghe first time, we are ready to home. The lounger is no big deal, these things happen, but to other 2 are bothersome. Turns out the opening for the dinette table isnt square and the construction of the table top is 2 thin layers of particle board. It was too near the edge on one side and just separated and a decent size chunk broke off. Sigh.

That one is easily a warranty item but what about the blowout on a basically new tire? Think that should be covered?
RV Guy - FYI - Kim at Liberty RV now has pictures and dimensions etc. of the dinette situation (opening bigger than the tabletop and not square) and should be contacting you all directly to consult about what might be needed to fix the situation. regards, Mike
__________________
Mike & Tracy Boyd
2013 LaCrosse 318BHS Touring Edition - Forest River - Prime Time
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crewcab SB DMax/Allison
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #26
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedboyd View Post
interesting. I was looking at that picture earlier, focusing up in the springs between the wheels, wondering what would have made that easier. Now I know. Do you happen to have a picture or more detailed description of what you mean exactly?
If you notice the tire on the ramp and the position of the walking beam, the beam in the center between the wheels that holds the rear of the front spring and the front of the rear spring, if, when the rear wheel is on the ground, if you place a steel block on the spring where it attaches to the rear of the walking beam, when the tire goes up the ramp, the beam can only tilt so much before the block will contact the frame and thus lock the suspension from going higher. Have done it numerous times over the years. Just a suggestion. A pc of heavy wall tubing will work also.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #27
New to Forest River
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 109
More Tire info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedboyd View Post
Acknowledging my gratitude for the your attitude , I do want to mention a couple of things.
  • An anonymous source at the dealer told me that if were buying a trailer, he'd think about buying all new tires as part of the purchase, with all of the issues with cheap-seeming tires that they see.
  • The local tire dealer that Towmax referred me to said that Towmax tires were low-end entry-level tires. Since we are calling the Lacrosse trailers 'Luxury Lite', and the quality of tire doesn't affect the weight much, I'm just wondering if the tire selection criteria might need to be reviewed. Just wonderin
RV Guy - I guess I need to take back the above comments. Towmax customer support had me take the blown tire to Carroll Tire in Kansas City for inspection. The tire 'guru' at Carroll Tire said that the tire had overheated and exploded. He did not find any signs of puncture or separation. While he did not find an exact cause for the failure, they did recommend that Towmax replace the tire. I now have a new tire from them, at my local Goodyear store, being mounted. Towmax is also reimbursing me $20 for the mounting service.

The tire guru at Carroll Tire also told me that his co-worker was wrong and Towmax, while being a Chinese tire, was considered to be an upper quality tire, not entry level.

So I guess I'll check all my air pressure, and keep a close eye on them. I'm having the Goodyear store balance all of them and they are putting the new one on the trailer, replacing the spare that is mounted now.

Now on to the dinette warranty claim and whatever ends up happening with that.
__________________

__________________
Mike & Tracy Boyd
2013 LaCrosse 318BHS Touring Edition - Forest River - Prime Time
2006 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crewcab SB DMax/Allison
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.