Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #1
Don't call me Junior!!!

Run the A/C while in storage........thoughts?

We live in West Texas and have incredibly hot summers here. We have access to electric at our storage facility and were thinking about leaving A/C on say 80 while not in use. Any thoughts?
Old 05-28-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaTex View Post
We live in West Texas and have incredibly hot summers here. We have access to electric at our storage facility and were thinking about leaving A/C on say 80 while not in use. Any thoughts?
Bubba - we are in Fort Worth and store our FW at a facility that has 110VAC outlets. I have noticed that some of the MH's around us have been running what I assume is their A/C now that the weather is getting hotter. I cannot think of anything that it would harm providing everything with the A/C, inckuding the drains, are in good work condition.

I don't know if it is srill true (or if it ever was), but several years ago, some people would run their auto/truck A/C for short periods during the cooler Texas months for the supposed purpose of keeping the A/C seals lubed.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #3

i don't run mine. haven't seen any problems. i don't have the temp swings that either of u have there...nights stay warmer and days don't get as hot.

i believe that running the a/c was to lubricate the seals on an automotive type of a/c. ur rv is a sealed system.

strictly an opinion; don't see the harm either way.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #4

I have a couple of concerns:

- Make sure your insurance covers you in case of an issue. Although a slim chance; if your A/C starts an electrical fire, does your insurance cover damage to adjacent units?

- Does the storage place allow you to use electricity for A/C? They may have power available with the intention that it is used to maintain batteries or allow people to do some basic maintenance to their units. For example, if your A/C uses 1500 watts and runs for 8 hours a day, that works out to 360 kw/h of power in a month. If you are paying $50 per month for storage, that may not even cover the power useage. And while you may only have it set to 80, others may see that and set theirs to 70.

You could also find that unlike a campground, they might have a 20 or amp circuit feeding several trailers. (Once again, if the power is there with the intention that you would only use an amp or two.)

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

- Make sure your insurance covers you in case of an issue. Although a slim chance; if your A/C starts an electrical fire, does your insurance cover damage to adjacent units?

- Does the storage place allow you to use electricity for A/C? They may have power available with the intention that it is used to maintain batteries or allow people to do some basic maintenance to their units. For example, if your A/C uses 1500 watts and runs for 8 hours a day, that works out to 360 kw/h of power in a month. If you are paying $50 per month for storage, that may not even cover the power useage. And while you may only have it set to 80, others may see that and set theirs to 70.

You could also find that unlike a campground, they might have a 20 or amp circuit feeding several trailers. (Once again, if the power is there with the intention that you would only use an amp or two.)
Ken - good points. There is nothing in our storage lease agreement regarding the use or amount of electrity you may use.

As far as paying $50 a month storage - I wish! We pay $161.00 a month for a 40 foot long back in and enclosed on 3 sides plus roof covered space.

But we like it - it has compressed air, dumping, potable water, free ice and a pull thru wash bay with walk ways on both sides so you can wash the top of your RV.. It also has plentry of space to maneuever and has 24 hour surveillance.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
Don't call me Junior!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042

Ken, great points. I read the lease agreement and it says nothing regarding the use of electricity and or the a/c unit. I think the unit will run more than 8 hours a day. I have it set at 85 degrees, from now until September outside temps be in the upper 90' - 110' range. I only pay 45 a month for a covered stall with electricity. I don't want to take advantage of the property owner so I think I will talk to him directly. I'm afraid a constant interior temp hovering around 100' all day every day will be pretty hard on everything in the unit.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #7

After reading B47's post I was begining to think I was a cheap SOB; because when we bought our trailer one of the factors was the size. A small trailer fits beside our garage, and I didn't want to spend the $30-50 on a storage unit.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
After reading B47's post I was begining to think I was a cheap SOB; because when we bought our trailer one of the factors was the size. A small trailer fits beside our garage, and I didn't want to spend the $30-50 on a storage unit.
Ken - glad I made you feel better.