Old 06-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #11

Let me give you my actual weight values from our trip to the scales.

My Sanibel weighs 13260 (it could be as high as 15440 if carrying more cargo, and that's the same value as the 3400). My pin weight is 2500 lbs (18.4%).

My Chevy 3500HD has a GVWR of 11,200. Loaded for towing (including pin) it sits at 10,260, giving me a GVWR margin of 940#.

The rear GAWR is 7050. I'm 1030 under that.
The front GAWR is 5200. I'm 960 under that.

If I added in that extra 1820# I supposedly could be carrying in the RV, and assume 20% of that becomes pin weight, then I'd be adding 365 more pounds, leaving me with 575# of additional passengers or bed cargo before I hit my limits.

If you had the same truck in a 2500HD, your CCC would be ~1000 pounds less, putting you slightly over the limits even at my "light" load of 13620.

Adding 4wd or crew-cab (mine is extended) would reduce the CCC by quite a bit so then a 2500 would really be insufficient (if you added those things).

Old 06-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

HAARubicon (and Barry) bring up a good point- a lot of guys choose to exceed some or all of their truck's ratings. These people usually fall into one of two categories:
1) those who have weighed and do it knowingly; they usually pick specific parameters that they're not willing to exceed (usually its the rear axle weight rating and the tire's load capacity rating). They'll happily exceed the GVWR (aka the maximum the truck should carry).

2) the guys who are almost positively exceeding their ratings but either don't know to weigh or specifically refuse to weigh because "it tows just fine".

The online world is stories, theories and conjecture of what will or won't happen if you're caught towing overweight (if ever) or, heaven forbid, you're in an accident while you're towing overweight.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
Fulltime family RVer

That said- I still maintain that it's important to tow within all of your ratings.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #14

The point of the post was not to run around the issue of pin weight, or any of those other issues. It was simply to point out that in some instances a DRW truck is just not a practical choice for some users and should be a consideration for the original poster to consider when making what will end up being a $55,000 plus purchase if he buys new.
Its easy in forum world just to say, sure get that dually, it will "get-r-done". But reality may be different. Do some research on other posts in the Tow Vehicle section and really look at at all options and brands. Until you sign that paper at the dealer, research is cheap.
Budget is another consideration, if the OP has to go to the used market for a TV, there are many issues with different year model trucks.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAARubicon View Post
The point of the post was not to run around the issue of pin weight, or any of those other issues. It was simply to point out that in some instances a DRW truck is just not a practical choice for some users and should be a consideration for the original poster to consider when making what will end up being a $55,000 plus purchase if he buys new.
Its easy in forum world just to say, sure get that dually, it will "get-r-done". But reality may be different. Do some research on other posts in the Tow Vehicle section and really look at at all options and brands. Until you sign that paper at the dealer, research is cheap.
Budget is another consideration, if the OP has to go to the used market for a TV, there are many issues with different year model trucks.
I agree about the DRW. My 3500HD Chevy wasn't even close to $55k, no way no how!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #16
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAARubicon View Post
I completely agree. It's a whole heck of a lot easier making and more importantly, changing decisions now when it's all theory and research than when you've plunked hard-earned cash.

If nothing else, the most important thing is to be an educated buyer. The trouble comes when someone just blindly buys a 2500 or even a SRW and it doesn't turn out to be enough truck for what they want.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I completely agree. It's a whole heck of a lot easier making and more importantly, changing decisions now when it's all theory and research than when you've plunked hard-earned cash.

If nothing else, the most important thing is to be an educated buyer. The trouble comes when someone just blindly buys a 2500 or even a SRW and it doesn't turn out to be enough truck for what they want.
And thanks to all here for their input .... Thoughts, data, ideas, warnings and some common sense. I am going to pass this thread onto my son and let him chew on it while he awaits comina home.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
RobbieT

Thanks for input...

So I'm dovetails son and can't wait to get home and start pulling the Sanibel. Thanks for all the input. Have to admit I'm still a bit confused with the math involved. Just want to make sure I get plenty of truck to pull but not over spend. Sounds like the one-ton is the best option so the choice becomes SRW or DWR. Appreciate the comments about the truck being a daily driver vehicle too. While a DRW will work fine in central Texas, who know how congested the next duty station will be.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #19
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
So I'm dovetails son and can't wait to get home and start pulling the Sanibel. Thanks for all the input. Have to admit I'm still a bit confused with the math involved. Just want to make sure I get plenty of truck to pull but not over spend. Sounds like the one-ton is the best option so the choice becomes SRW or DWR. Appreciate the comments about the truck being a daily driver vehicle too. While a DRW will work fine in central Texas, who know how congested the next duty station will be.
I can tell you, living in the Washington DC/Baltimore area that a dually can be a challenge, but doable. As I said before, I think the training wheels really help with the stability and I can't imagine towing this load without them. But, lots of folks do it without issue.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
Hey Rob, guess you found the thread!

Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote