Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #21

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Let me give you my actual weight values from our trip to the scales.

My Sanibel weighs 13260 (it could be as high as 15440 if carrying more cargo, and that's the same value as the 3400). My pin weight is 2500 lbs (18.4%).

My Chevy 3500HD has a GVWR of 11,200. Loaded for towing (including pin) it sits at 10,260, giving me a GVWR margin of 940#.

The rear GAWR is 7050. I'm 1030 under that.
The front GAWR is 5200. I'm 960 under that.

If I added in that extra 1820# I supposedly could be carrying in the RV, and assume 20% of that becomes pin weight, then I'd be adding 365 more pounds, leaving me with 575# of additional passengers or bed cargo before I hit my limits.

If you had the same truck in a 2500HD, your CCC would be ~1000 pounds less, putting you slightly over the limits even at my "light" load of 13620.

Adding 4wd or crew-cab (mine is extended) would reduce the CCC by quite a bit so then a 2500 would really be insufficient (if you added those things).
I agree with Barry. Get a 1 Ton and also get the long bed. It gives you a more stable tow vehicle/platform when towing, especially in cross winds or towing down hill. I also have a Sanibel 3500 and tow it with a 2011 1-ton Chev Quad Cab L/B with a Duramax Diesel with single rear axle. I used to tow a 30 tow hauler with a 07 Dodge Ram Quad Cab L/B with a Cumins Diesel with a single rear axle. Both trucks handled the trailers without any problems with the single rear axle. However, the 1-Ton and L/B are a must in my humble opinion.
usraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by usraptor View Post

I agree with Barry. Get a 1 Ton and also get the long bed. It gives you a more stable tow vehicle/platform when towing, especially in cross winds or towing down hill. I also have a Sanibel 3500 and tow it with a 2011 1-ton Chev Quad Cab L/B with a Duramax Diesel with single rear axle. I used to tow a 30 tow hauler with a 07 Dodge Ram Quad Cab L/B with a Cumins Diesel with a single rear axle. Both trucks handled the trailers without any problems with the single rear axle. However, the 1-Ton and L/B are a must in my humble opinion.
Hmmm. I'd never though about the long box making it more stable. Maybe that's why I don't understand when people talk about crosswind stability problems with SRW. (I assume that's what you mean by single axle...even though DRW is still single axle.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
RobbieT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
Hey Rob, guess you found the thread!
Sure did! It's very helpful. We cannot wait to join you and mom in 2014!

Miss you.
RobbieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #24
RobbieT

Thanks all for the input. You all are a wealth of knowledge.
RobbieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Hmmm. I'd never though about the long box making it more stable. Maybe that's why I don't understand when people talk about crosswind stability problems with SRW. (I assume that's what you mean by single axle...even though DRW is still single axle.)

Sorry Barry, yes I meant SRW when I said single axle. The L/B is much more stable than a S/B in cross winds and when going down steep down hill grades. I once lost a trailer on a steep downhill when hit by strong crosswinds when towing with a S/B truck. It was very nasty. Luckily we walked away with no injuries. Can't say the same for the truck and trailer. Both were totaled.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #26

Wow! Glad you weren't hurt. You weren't towing with a 1/2-ton were you?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #27

Nope, 1-ton S/B.