Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #1

sanibel 3500 scary problem

We just bought this fifth wheel brand new and we took it for our vacation in North Carolina. this is a 800 miles trip. We choose Sanibel after looking at their website and seeing the quality of construction. On my arrival at the campground, after opening the slide-out, I saw 2 bolts that were loose under the sofa and table slide-out. The nuts are rusted and I cannot tighten them but I can rotate the whole assembly. there is a gap of 1 inch before the nuts is fully tighten. We love the trailer and the inside built quality. I'm kind of disappointed when I see this. Those 2 bolts are not hidden. They are in plain sight under the slide-out. Why did those 2 bolt not taken care at the quality control check and how many are loose somewhere else ? This is a scary situation. Is the whole fifth wheel box just lying on the frame with many of these bolts not tighten at all. The customer support at Prime Time tell me to try some wd40 and try to tighten them or go to the dealer where I bought the fifth wheel. If I were on customer support, I would have said "don't move your fifth wheel and we'll send somebody check this out" or "we'll find a way to tow your trailer to the nearest dealer safely". At the last resort, I would ask the customer if he could drive his fifth wheel at the factory for a complete check-up of the unit. But NO. They said "try some wd40 and go back home to see your dealer" Is it safe to go on the road now since I know there is loose bolts holding my fifth wheel box to the frame. Do anybody else had this problem ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0948m.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	20860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0951m.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	20861   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0956m.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	20862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0958m.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	20863  
rlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #2

I am surprised at the response from Prime Time. We have always had very postive interactions when needing assistance. Now that it is a weekend not sure if you will get to talk to anyone in person. For what it's worth I would be calling someone to check this out before I moved it. Go on line and see if there are any dealers where you are now. If not check with the campground to see who they might suggest. The cost of having someone take a look is priceless when you consider your safety and that of others on the road.
portliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #3

Another suggestion. RVGuy on this forum I believe works for Prime Time. Try to PM him. He does monitor this forum and may reply. Best of luck. Let us know how it goes. I am hopeful that Prime Time will not disappoint and step up to help.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #4

thanks Portliz. I send a mail to RV Guy. Waiting for a reply. This forum is great.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

Good news. RV guy put me in touch with somebody at Prime Time. They send a technician at my campground to take care of the loose bolts. Good service. thanks to all of you.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Looks like it was pulled clear thru' whatever it was supposed to hold.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #7

Glad to read that PP has gone into action mode.

Would like to read after it is fixed what it was supposed to hold.
Thanks
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:16 AM   #8

that RVguy sure is becoming well liked around here .....i too would like to know what the final prognosis from the tech is....this is not a common complaint around these parts, and hopefully it wont give us fodder for yet another thing our "BEWARE" list of things to look for on a trailer...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #9

Glad to hear that Prime Time continues to respond to customer concerns. Happy that things worked out. Love these forums.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Ironj - there were two loose carriage bolt nuts. There are hundreds of attachment points from a "box" to a frame and it's definitely good maintenance to inspect exposed nuts and bolts periodically.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
Ironj - there were two loose carriage bolt nuts. There are hundreds of attachment points from a "box" to a frame and it's definitely good maintenance to inspect exposed nuts and bolts periodically.

PTM
Bounce, bounce, bounce, down our nations lovely roads ……..
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy

PTM
After 3 months in our new 2012 Sanibel 3500 our mattress fails to recover fully and now it's like sleeping in the mattress and not on it. This is ruining my back. Any ideas? I weigh 230 lbs, 6'4
Topshelf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post

PTM
yeah...honestly, that was the first thing that popped into my mind, as i KNEW there were many, many, many MANY bolts holding the box on....

i actualy thought we were gonna find out a part/brace was missing or had been omitted/lost......

oh well....now how about some details on that new "lacrosse dinette table" you got going in??LOL
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Patience my friend
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, 3500, 500, bolt, sanibel