Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #1

Sanibel 3601 Huge Issues

I took possession of my Sanibel 3601 two weeks ago and christened it with a trip to Myrtle Beach with my two 6 year old. Spending this kind of money on a high quality 5th wheel I anticipated the typical small issues but nothing like I ran into over the course of the week. Below is a list of issues found in a 7 day period:
[*]Crack in the fiberglass above the main door resulting in erratic passenger slide activity and the man door not properly closing.[*]Premature slide wear to the bottom of the passenger slide and bedroom slide.[*]The hot water tank failed to work on electric.[*]The shower door track was not adequately sealed resulting in a flooded bathroom floor after every use.[*]Damaged linoleum and carpet from slide operation.[*]Floor registers not large enough for floor openings.[*]Dresser drawers not latching.[*]Poorly secured rear ladder.[*]Unwired storage area light.[*]Awning LED lights falling off of awning.[*]Front storage door will not close without excessive force due to poor alignment.[*]Signs of delamination in 3 locations on the driver's side rear slide.[*]Scuffs to leather theater seating.[*]Poorly designed residential refrigerator latch resulting in open doors during transport and spoiled food.

While I am sure I have missed a few minor things this is absolutely unacceptable for the money a unit of this supposed caliber costs. I am meeting with the service managers of my RV dealer to begin repairs, however I am seriously concerned that I have a structural issue beyond repair. To all experienced fifth wheel owners I am looking for your input.
cfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfeller View Post
I took possession of my Sanibel 3601 two weeks ago and christened it with a trip to Myrtle Beach with my two 6 year old. Spending this kind of money on a high quality 5th wheel I anticipated the typical small issues but nothing like I ran into over the course of the week. Below is a list of issues found in a 7 day period:
[*]Crack in the fiberglass above the main door resulting in irratic passenger slide activity and the man door not properly closing.[*]Premature slide wear to the bottom of the passenger slide and bedroom slide.[*]The hot water tank failed to work on electric.[*]The shower door track was not adequately sealed resulting in a flooded bathroom floor after every use.[*]Damaged linoleum and carpet from slide operation.[*]Floor registers not large enough for floor openings.[*]Dresser drawers not latching.[*]Poorly secured rear ladder.[*]Unwired storage area light.[*]Awning LED lights falling off of awning.[*]Front storage door will not close without excessive force due to poor alignment.[*]Signs of delamination in 3 locations on the driver's side rear slide.[*]Scuffs to leather theater seating.[*]Poorly designed residential refrigerator latch resulting in open doors during transport and spoiled food.

While I am sure I have missed a few minor things this is absolutely unacceptable for the money a unit of this supposed caliber costs. I am meeting with the service managers of my RV dealer to begin repairs, however I am seriously concerned that I have a structural issue beyond repair. To all experienced fifth wheel owners I am looking for your input.

Sorry to hear of all your issues. Although it appears this unit MAY have slipped through inspection at the manufacturer, the majority SHOULD have been caught and corrected by your dealer. How extensive was your dealers inspection and your PDI with them?
The erratic slide operation/alignments, water heater operation, shower door sealing, inoperative storage light, floor register fit, drawers and storage doors that don't latch securely/properly and scuffs to the furniture (depending on when & how they happened) ALL should have been documented and/or taken care of before you showed up to get it.
Mine had quite a laundry list upon arrival at the dealer that they showed me and we went over each and every item on my PDI just to make sure they were taken care of to my satisfaction.

Take pics of ALL the problems you see and froward them directly to Prime Time. I suggest sending them along with an e-mail to Roger Stickel at rstickel@forestriverinc.com. They have been having trouble with their regular link through their web-site. Some mail has been ending up in their SPAM folder, so I suggest contacting him directly.

Good luck & keep us posted.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:35 PM   #3

I sincerely hope the dealer did not charge you for a PDI. That would be robbery.

JR

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
Site Team

First off welcome to the forum.
WOW that's some laundry list you have there for a "top of the line" unit.
I have had 2 pt units and I can tell you I had my fair share of issues.

On the up side they have taken care of all my issues. Prime Time is a top notch company and stands behind there units. I would give them a call. I would also recommend talking to Shane Imus at pt.
Take a deep breath n count to 10...this is gonna take awhile. GOOD LUCK!!
Please keep us all posted

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Sorry to hear of all your issues. Although it appears this unit MAY have slipped through inspection at the manufacturer, the majority SHOULD have been caught and corrected by your dealer. How extensive was your dealers inspection and your PDI with them?
The erratic slide operation/alignments, water heater operation, shower door sealing, inoperative storage light, floor register fit, drawers and storage doors that don't latch securely/properly and scuffs to the furniture (depending on when & how they happened) ALL should have been documented and/or taken care of before you showed up to get it.
Mine had quite a laundry list upon arrival at the dealer that they showed me and we went over each and every item on my PDI just to make sure they were taken care of to my satisfaction.

Take pics of ALL the problems you see and froward them directly to Prime Time. I suggest sending them along with an e-mail to Roger Stickel at rstickel@forestriverinc.com. They have been having trouble with their regular link through their web-site. Some mail has been ending up in their SPAM folder, so I suggest contacting him directly.

Good luck & keep us posted.
I have been successful in getting issues with my 2013 Sanibel 3500 addressed by contacting Prime Time directly. In some cases the dealership assisted, but with my latest major deficiency I went directly to Prime Time. My unit will be going to Indiana next week for upper frame flex repair and a list of other items that need addressing. I was told that my list of items will be addressed. Prime Time has not turned a blind eye to issues related to my unit up to this point and I feel confident that they will take care of yours.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:38 PM   #6

First Welcome
We had some issues with our Sanibel. It was taken to the factory for the upper frame flex issue. Our laundry list was taken care of while it was there. Some items that we did not find were also repaired. Other than the wait for the return of our unit it was painless. And yes most out the items mentioned should have been caught and repaired before you ever saw you unit by your dealer.
Prime Time has been responsive to our emails and phone calls. Junior is GREAT!!.

Good luck with yours

Wayne and Donna
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #7

Very interesting. I've had many similar issues but more. I realize there are going to be some issues. Just hope they get resolved. I judge a brand in how they fix what's wrong.

1. Slam latch would not shut. Had to be adjusted.
2. Light under storage does not work.
3. Faulty battery disconnect will not allow batter to properly charge. Recently had to jump from my truck.
4. Seat bottom at kitchen dining table caved in under my 180 lbs
5. Finish on dining table fading
6. At a recent stop the trailer shook the truck violently with a huge boom as if it been dropped on the trailer. It was so bad a motorist behind us asked if we were ok. A walk around on 3 different stops on my way home didn't show anything. Very concerned over this one.
TMMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #8

TMMason, what type and brand is your RV?

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #9

2014 sanibel 6301
Old 09-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #10

I have a 3600 sanibel and the bottom of my 2 big slides is ripping they used a material that is not holding up.
Ductwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #11

I'm confident they will make things right.
Old 09-07-2014, 03:57 PM   #12

Wow. Sorry your unit has all those problems. Good luck working with your dealer to get it fixed.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductwerks View Post
I have a 3600 sanibel and the bottom of my 2 big slides is ripping they used a material that is not holding up.
Here is a link for ya.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-45789.html

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #14

The fridge doors do open when traveling down the road. I installed children latches at the top of the doors at the opening end of the doors. We have not a problem with this since I have done this. I got the latches at Walmart. The slides are out of adjustment. We had our delivery dealership adjust them and made them worse. They adjusted them in the wrong direction. I know that you are frustrated. But we all to get the bugs worked out. You will love your coach. Primetime really stands behind their products. Also Rodger is good people to. Good luck.
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:53 AM   #15

I hope you get all your issues sorted out.
Unfortunately mine and others experience with Primetime and Roger Stickel has been that if they can find a way to get out of their warranty obligations, they will take it.
Or at least they will use stall tactics.
Hopefully your dealer makes them fix their poor workmanship in a timely manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Samaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #16

I have a 2014 3600 and have no had any major issues not even evidence of frame issues. Most of the items I did have to where taken care of during PDI and accepting the unit. Not sure how detailed of a walk through your dealer did, but it sounds like not much of one before you took posession.

But if you just got the unit 2 weeks ago, how did you miss some of this before you drove off the lot? I know its winter and cold, but I would not have take delivery without going over the entire unit.

That being said, my experience with the warentee work has been great. Nothing has been rejected on me, and I have not had to spend any of my own money on repairs. After a season of use I started to have some of the bottom slide wrapping show wear and the dealer did a great job adressing it for the long term.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #17

It is also important to have the unit level before opening the big slides
Old 03-15-2015, 09:12 AM   #18

Sanibels

Man after reading some of these post, I'm having second thoughts on buying a Sanibel now. I thought Sanibel's were built to a better level than I'm hearing. Better start researching other manufacture now.
Piperflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:56 AM   #19

It disturbs me how on this forum, some people blame the OP for problems existing on his unit. Whether he missed them on PDI, or they weren't readily apparent, is immaterial. The guy wanted insight and help, not comments like "how did you miss this?" I know I won't change things or people, but this should be a helpful forum. Good luck on getting your problems fixed!
stallsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #20

It's a great unit once you go over eveything, so far nothing major. I meet someone in the wisconsin dells and suggested removing the wall in the basement by the stairs to access your water heater and pump. When I did the construction debris I found was shocking.

Tags
sanibel