Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #1

Sanibel Bathroom Vent Improvement

The ceiling in the bathroom of my Sanibel 3500 is at about 7 feet tall and my vertically-challenged wife can't reach the "crank-open" knob or the switch to turn the fan on. Putting a step-stool in these small bathrooms isn't an option I'd entertain, and I was getting very tired of having to turn on the vent for her every time she wanted it on.

In this forum post I described a modification to the bathroom vent to make it like the one in the high ceiling in the kitchen. I wanted to give the Sanibel 3500 specific parts of the wiring for that job here. This may or may not apply to other Sanibel floor plans (or model years).

I found that the wires which powered the fan were routed to (or from) the bathroom light switch next to the sink. This suggested a way to pull more wires to that same location so the obvious choice was to mount the vent control switches next to that light switch. I had mounted a hand-towel rack above that though, and didn't want hand-drips falling on the switch so I decided to mount the vent controls in the panel below the sink.

I disconnected the wires at the fan and used them to pull four new wires back to that switch location. (You have to leave the original wires as well since they are joined, close to the fan, to wires which go to the bedroom light switch.) By looking down thru the bathroom light switch hole I could see a cross-piece of 1x3(?) near the sink. I simply drilled a hole upward (at an angle) from under the sink thru that cross-piece and into the cavity where the bathroom light switch is. I mounted a small piece of "backing" plywood onto the back of the thin wood where I wanted to mount the switch since I felt that what was there was too thin to handle much force.

Here is a picture showing the wires going into that hole I drilled below the sink, as well as the backing plywood piece.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0991.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	35752
And the picture of the completed switch installation. I was very pleased with how it turned out.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0994.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	35751
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #2

Nice Job Barry!!!!!
Makes me rethink a fantastic fan
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Toy-aholic

sure wouldn't take much for them to do this at the factory....my old Flagstaff was done that way.....would also like to do that for the master bdrm light.