Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2014, 05:03 AM   #1

Sanibel front cap issues

We are on our third front cap. The brown cap is having issues with the gel coat cracking. Looks like spider webs running over the front cap. This being our third cap was wondering if this could be related to the frame flex issue. Our service techs, and service department has been super. Hands are tied with the slowness in which parts and decisions are being supplied. Sanibel 3050 2014. Has several smaller issues, and they are trying to resolve. Unit has been in the shop now since we have owned about 74 days. Waiting on parts and primetime to answer. Missed most of the summer. So if you own a Sanibel I suggest you check your front cap for gel coat cracks.
gonefishingla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #2

Have a 2014 I bought in October 2013. No issues with gell coat, though I do have some minor warentee items to have taken care of in September when I have a break in my camping season. But so far no issues that have stopped me from camping that could not be addressed when I have a break and if it will take time to get the part.

I would make them sign a letter stating its covered and I will bring the unit back when the parts have arrived. Unless the issue is something that would cause a problem towing or using the RV, I dont see why it has to sit waiting for parts.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishingla1 View Post
We are on our third front cap. The brown cap is having issues with the gel coat cracking. Looks like spider webs running over the front cap. This being our third cap was wondering if this could be related to the frame flex issue. Our service techs, and service department has been super. Hands are tied with the slowness in which parts and decisions are being supplied. Sanibel 3050 2014. Has several smaller issues, and they are trying to resolve. Unit has been in the shop now since we have owned about 74 days. Waiting on parts and primetime to answer. Missed most of the summer. So if you own a Sanibel I suggest you check your front cap for gel coat cracks.
First off , welcome to the forum!
Have you talk to primetime?

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

Don't have a Sanibel, BUT, have fixed ours once, replaced once, and fixing to repair again. 3 times it's been in for this issue since January. Pretty much same thing, gel coat cracking like a spiderweb. Makes me wonder if it's the same cap supplier Cedar Creek uses. I don't buy the amount of time it's taking for yours though. I pushed the right buttons I guess, and had my new cap in 1 week, installed in 1 day. Of course different dealer / different manufacturer.

I agree with jbrostek on the waiting for parts. Same thing we did. We didn't bring it in until the parts were there. The gel coat cracks don't leak, and don't affect function of the fifth wheel. No reason you should've lost your season for that.

Welcome to the forum. Where at in LA are you?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 PM   #5

sanibel cap

To be honest they have personally looked at the cap.
They were down visiting.
So they have seen the cap first hand
Just has taken to long.
Will be waiting for decals now .
That has taken up to two weeks to get.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM   #6

Shreveport , Bossier City area, My RV supplier in Bossier is the best ever. They cannot help it that Primetime takes so long to reply.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
NELA

John, his profile says Minden.

WOOHOO! Another FR owner up here in da northern part of Loozey anner.

Welcome to the forum gonefishin'! We drove through your area Friday and will be passing back through tomorrow.

We're over in the Duck Dudes' home town.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
NELA

Quote:
Shreveport , Bossier City area, My RV supplier in Bossier is the best ever. They cannot help it that Primetime takes so long to reply.

Bayou Outdoor?

That's our dealer and those folks are the finest!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #9

Welcome from down south La. I camped in that small campground just north of Minden, Beave Dam I believe it's called. It's on north Caddo Lake???

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 07-29-2014, 03:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrostek View Post
Have a 2014 I bought in October 2013. No issues with gell coat, though I do have some minor warentee items to have taken care of in September when I have a break in my camping season. But so far no issues that have stopped me from camping that could not be addressed when I have a break and if it will take time to get the part.

I would make them sign a letter stating its covered and I will bring the unit back when the parts have arrived. Unless the issue is something that would cause a problem towing or using the RV, I dont see why it has to sit waiting for parts.
Cant pull it when the front cap is off. Cap is on now, waiting for repair of the third new cap, then waiting to get back in line to do the other repairs, waiting for decals, and hoping we get to go soon.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:39 AM   #11

Forgot to say we have gotten in Three new caps. All three new caps needed repair. They all arrived with cracks, pits, little or no gel coats on the caps. Just waiting.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:01 AM   #12

That is the problem you hit it on the head, they are saving money by putting a lite coat of gel coat. A light coat will crack from stress and twisting of the frame and cause spider cracks or bulleyes. The boating industry went through the same problems in the late 70's and 80's with there decks. They repaired it by using a different resin and a heavier coat of gel coat itself. Took them about 10 years to figure that one out.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:35 AM   #13

Yes sir, I will be checking the back cap as soon as I can,,, They should solve problem now. One thing for sure,,customers do mind paying for true quality. There is a lot to be said for we will make it right. But why not do it right.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:50 AM   #14

Just want to say again,,, my rv store and service department is doing the best job possible. They keep me informed almost daily. The sales department is fantastic. I purchased a second unit just so we could go camping. Not a primetime. Sad when a family has to buy a second unit to enjoy the summer. You say that is crazy. Let me tell you, the word cancer changes the way you think concerning time with your family. If I had the time I would take the Sanibel 3050 back to primetime so that they could do a quality check on this unit ,so they could maybe see where they could improve. Wife, lung cancer, loves the way primetime has made an effort to try and produce a luxury unit. Growing pains I guess. Should not have growing pains, from some of the best people in the industry. I greatly understand bottomline, but know that people do not mind buying quality.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Just want to say again,,, my rv store and service department is doing the best job possible. They keep me informed almost daily. The sales department is fantastic. I purchased a second unit just so we could go camping. Not a primetime. Sad when a family has to buy a second unit to enjoy the summer. You say that is crazy. Let me tell you, the word cancer changes the way you think concerning time with your family. If I had the time I would take the Sanibel 3050 back to primetime so that they could do a quality check on this unit ,so they could maybe see where they could improve. Wife, lung cancer, loves the way primetime has made an effort to try and produce a luxury unit. Growing pains I guess. Should not have growing pains, from some of the best people in the industry. I greatly understand bottomline, but know that people do not mind buying quality.
So sorry to hear of your wifes cancer. I'm sure you don't need a headache like your camper to compound the issiue at hand. I wish you and your family the best......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sanibel