Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
pmf

Sanibel Furnace

Good morning,

I have read the manuals online and the ones given to me. I have read forum threads and still don't have an answer. It was 42 here this morning so I tried to turn the furnace on but it would start then stop. I tried that several more times and got the same thing so I don't know what's going on.

I have four zones but only zone 1 has a furnace mode, zone 2 has auto, cool, fan and off and the other 2 are not in use. I am not sure what the settings should be but I would think if zone being set on furnace and 72 degrees then it should run.

Anyone else had this happen?

As always thanks in advance for all of your help.
Pat

2017 Ram SRW 3500 Laramie Diesel
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #2

My first thought is do you actually have good 12V power going to the the furnace (check for low batteries)

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #3

Since Sanibel did npt make the furnace, but only installed someone elses product, how aboit some more info? Like make and model of the furnace? Do you have propane and is it turned on?
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #4

Only one zone will have furnace option on the thermostat.

My thermostat has a button for "check inside temp". If you have that, try checking the inside temp of Zone 1. Possibly the thermostat thinks, for some reason, that it's warm enough and it's kicking it off. If so, maybe another issue, but it might explain why it's going off.

Also make double triple sure that the propane tanks are open, and the lines have propane. Light the cooktop, maybe HW Heater......see if all those work. If all those works, lines should have gas in them. If not, that could be the issue.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #5
pmf

Yes, the battery is fine and the propane is turned on. All of our gas appliances are working and have been so I don't think it is the gas. I'll have to look at the paperwork for the furnace when I get home because I don't remember the mfg. I did check the indoor temperature which was 52 and I set the thermostat to 72 so it should have kicked on and stayed. I am not there between 8 and 5 or I would have called them but it is hard to troubleshoot from a distance. :-) I guess I could turn the stove on when I get back and see if it might purge some air but since we have been using it for 3 weeks I doubt that would help

Thanks again for all of the great advice! With the way, my luck is going the furnace is probably bad and I can't take it in for service until January. Might have to get a mobile repairman to come out and pay out of pocket.

We went from the high 60's at night to 40 in like one day so it gets a little chilly!

Thanks,
Pat
Old 10-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmf View Post
Good morning,

I have read the manuals online and the ones given to me. I have read forum threads and still don't have an answer. It was 42 here this morning so I tried to turn the furnace on but it would start then stop. I tried that several more times and got the same thing so I don't know what's going on.

I have four zones but only zone 1 has a furnace mode, zone 2 has auto, cool, fan and off and the other 2 are not in use. I am not sure what the settings should be but I would think if zone being set on furnace and 72 degrees then it should run.

Anyone else had this happen?

As always thanks in advance for all of your help.
Pat

You are correct - Zone 1 should be the only one with a "furnace" setting. Now; what exactly does it do/not do? Do you hear the blower start? Then, after a few seconds, do you hear a "whoosh" sound like a small torch lit up? Do you feel hot air at the exhaust outside? Or, does the blower start, then ignition (whoosh) then it shuts off after a minute or two?

If it doesn't light and shuts off or lights but shuts off after a minute or two, it could be restricted or no propane flow. Which could be bugs, spiders built a nest in the air tube (venturi). If it lights then goes off it could also be a heat build up due to lack/restricted fresh air flow to the furnace. Hence, it will shut down for safety reasons. You'll probably have to gain access to the furnace to check some of these areas.

Also, (probably not related, just FYI) your thermostat should NOT show zones 3 & 4 if there not being used. Zone 1 should be your rear area A/C & furnace. Zone 2 should be the front A/C. The thermostat should only show 2 (active) zones. If not it needs to be reset (if you need those instructions, I will try to find mine). It should then see ONLY the 2 zones that have anything connected to them & will then not show the inactive zones on the panel and will skip them when you're toggling through.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #7
pmf

It starts then the swoosh the stop after a few seconds shuts down. I do have 4 zones showing but only 2 active. They told me to buy a screen to cover the vent to prevent bugs from making nest. I just read that could cause a problem though.

Should zone 2 be off while using the furnace?

Thanks,
Pat
Old 10-17-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
clr

I have a 2015 monel 3601 Sanibel and it has a Dometic thermostat. The reset procedure is as follows:
1. Make sure the thermostat is in the OFF mode.
2. Simultaneously press the MODE and ZONE buttons. The LCD will display IniT and all available zones.
3.Release the MODE and ZONE buttons
4. Press the ON/OFF button to exit system set up.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
clr

The enclosed link is a good source for trouble shooting your furnace it may be somewhat detailed but you can only look at the simple stuff if you would like Troubleshooting RV Furnace Problems
As others have said I would look at the propane side and its regulator and the sail switch if the furnace is the sail switch is sticking and not making contact it would operate just like you stated.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
It starts then the swoosh the stop after a few seconds shuts down. I do have 4 zones showing but only 2 active. They told me to buy a screen to cover the vent to prevent bugs from making nest. I just read that could cause a problem though.

Should zone 2 be off while using the furnace?

Thanks,
Pat
It's a good idea to turn off zone 2. If not, then when the furnace heats up the unit to the temperature set on the thermostat for zone 2, the A/C will come on (if set to A/C).

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
I have a 2015 monel 3601 Sanibel and it has a Dometic thermostat. The reset procedure is as follows:
1. Make sure the thermostat is in the OFF mode.
2. Simultaneously press the MODE and ZONE buttons. The LCD will display IniT and all available zones.
3.Release the MODE and ZONE buttons
4. Press the ON/OFF button to exit system set up.
X2 That's the sequence to re-initialize the thermostat.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
pmf

Chuck...thanks for the information. I am pretty sure mine is a Dometic thermostat as well. I think the furnace might be also but I am not sure. I do know I have a bunch of Dometic manuals and like most of them they are pretty useless.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #12
pmf

Hello,

I took the screen of the vent and itís working fine. So the dealers sell you things that break things. I guess youíre only supposed to use them during summer.

The reset on the thermostat worked like a carm as well.

Thanks again,
Pat

This forum is awesome!
Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #13
pmf

Good morning,

Iím sitting here in 57 degrees inside so I was wrong. The furnace isnít lighting but itís trying too.

Back to the drawing board.

Pat
Old 10-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Good morning,

Iím sitting here in 57 degrees inside so I was wrong. The furnace isnít lighting but itís trying too.

Back to the drawing board.

Pat

I know, it's frustrating!! You say it worked last night? Did it turn itself on & off properly according to your thermostat set temp? Then this morning NOT working? Sounds like you have an intermittant propane flow issue or a stuck sail switch? Others should be able to give you more info on the principles of sail switch operation/function.

In the mean time, we very rarely use our furnace. Unless you're paying for electric where you are, use the fireplace and the ceiling fan on medium speed to circulate the air. We also use one other 1500 watt electric heater near the entry door when it gets down below 50. We also keep one more electric heater in the bedroom just in case but, almost never use it, DW likes it cool for sleeping. We full time so, we sometimes find ourselves in a cold region and this combination keeps us very comfortable well down into the high 20's degree area.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
pmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
I know, it's frustrating!! You say it worked last night? Did it turn itself on & off properly according to your thermostat set temp? Then this morning NOT working? Sounds like you have an intermittant propane flow issue or a stuck sail switch? Others should be able to give you more info on the principles of sail switch operation/function.

In the mean time, we very rarely use our furnace. Unless you're paying for electric where you are, use the fireplace and the ceiling fan on medium speed to circulate the air. We also use one other 1500 watt electric heater near the entry door when it gets down below 50. We also keep one more electric heater in the bedroom just in case but, almost never use it, DW likes it cool for sleeping. We full time so, we sometimes find ourselves in a cold region and this combination keeps us very comfortable well down into the high 20's degree area.
I thought about running the fireplace all night but didn't know how safe it was. I'll try that tonight and I did buy a little electric heater for the bathroom. We're full timers but we're just starting out. I don't retire until the end of this month so I still have to get up early to get ready to come in and take a shower in 50 degrees is not pleasant. maybe but not inside.

Another thing is I can't even find the furnace. The only door on the outside is to the water heater but I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 10-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #16
Just as confused as you

The sail switch works by the air flow from the fan pushing against the sail causing it to close a micro-switch. If your fan is not blowing enough air across the sail or the sail is stuck it will cause the furnace to shut down in about a minute to prevent the furnace from burning up.
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
The Faster I Go, The Behinder I Get.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #17

Quote:
I thought about running the fireplace all night but didn't know how safe it was. I'll try that tonight and I did buy a little electric heater for the bathroom. We're full timers but we're just starting out. I don't retire until the end of this month so I still have to get up early to get ready to come in and take a shower in 50 degrees is not pleasant. maybe but not inside.

Another thing is I can't even find the furnace. The only door on the outside is to the water heater but I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
Pat
The electric fireplace is fine. It is simply an electric heater with a fan blowing the heat out of the top. We use ours, along with the a/c fan to circulate the heat, in the Fall and Spring to keep the camper warm. However, in our 5er, it is only good for about 15-20 degrees of heating. After that, we use the furnace.

The furnace usually doesn't usually have a "door" to the outside. Walk around the outside and look for a square vent with the "hot" markings on it. Since you said you already know what the water heater looks like, you can discount that one. That should be the exhaust for your furnace and then you just go inside opposite this location and find which louvered panel it is located behind.

When we first bought our previous trailer, it would not stay lit past about 30 seconds. The dealer had to replace the controller board. It wasn't registering that the flame was lit, so it assumed raw propane was flowing and would shut down.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #18
pmf

Thanks... I'll look around some more and see what I find. For now, I just bought a small ceramic heater for the bathroom and will run the fireplace. I'll probably have to take it to the dealer but that won't be until next year.

Thanks again,
Pat
Old 10-18-2017, 09:24 PM   #19

Quote:

Thanks,
Pat

As Ben31 already said, it won't be a door, just an exhaust port on the outside. On the inside, close to where you found the exhaust port, there should be a louvered panel (for fresh air intake to the furnace). In most 5th wheels, you'll find the furnace either under the stairs/landing or under the closet at the front door. Both would be accessible by removing the wall panel in the basement storage area. It's possible you may find kinked heater ducting which can also cause poor air flow causing the sail to not contact the switch.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #20

Quote:

Thanks,
Pat
Look for something that looks like this on the outside of your rig.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, sanibel