Old 08-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #1

Sanibel Goodyear Marathon Tires ST 235/80/R16 Load E

My Sanibel 3500 recently had a tire blowout where it appeared the failure occurred at the inner sidewall. Tires on my unit have approximately 7,000 miles on them, have a manufactured date 5111, have been maintained at proper pressure (80 psi), and inspected prior to each trip. I am concerned about the other three tires on the unit and investigating options such as changing to another brand or upgrading to a higher load range. Looking for input from other, as to their experience with these GY Marathon tires for reliability, issues, and actions taken to increase safety.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	61399  

2017 Days camping-171
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #2

This is a much debated topic on the forum. I will not run st tires. Lost several and damaged unit. Changed to American made LT tires and have not had problems since. We use our unit a lot and run at 65 where legal.
It is very much a personal choice which tires to run. I put on bf Goodrich commercial radial ta's.

Good Luck

Wayne and Donna

Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclay View Post
This is a much debated topic on the forum. I will not run st tires. Lost several and damaged unit. Changed to American made LT tires and have not had problems since. We use our unit a lot and run at 65 where legal.
It is very much a personal choice which tires to run. I put on bf Goodrich commercial radial ta's.

Good Luck

Wayne and Donna
Wayne, did you have to change out the wheel size?

2017 Days camping-171
Old 08-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

BBBlue, that looks like the sidewall was cut, not a defect of the tire.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
BBBlue, that looks like the sidewall was cut, not a defect of the tire.
Interesting statement. The trailer was being transported from Va to Indiana by a transporter. Maybe he ran into road debris? Nevertheless, I am hearing of problems with blowouts with the GY Marathons.

2017 Days camping-171
Old 08-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBlue View Post
Interesting statement. The trailer was being transported from Va to Indiana by a transporter. Maybe he ran into road debris? Nevertheless, I am hearing of problems with blowouts with the GY Marathons.
Have run GY Marathons for 37 yrs on numerous rv and race car trailers and NEVER even had a flat. Your money, spend it as you choose.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #7

As stated in previous post this a hot topic. No, I did not change wheels as the wheels on our Sanibel are rated for 110 psi.
LT tires usually haul passengers are overloaded regularly. I do not know if there are different specs or regulations for LT tires and passengers verses ST and no passengers. That MAY be the reason the are clearly marked trailer use only.
I try not to buy anything made in China as the quality control is very suspect. Many attorneys will not even try to litigate with a Chinese company for damages, too expensive and the Chinese company's can ignore US courts rulings.
Just one more reason to buy American.
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #8

Trailer tires are specifically designed to take the load and are also made with stiffer sidewalls to prevent sway and fishtailing around behind you due to lateral forces. There is a science to this. Passenger tires and LT tires are designed for other purposes that carrying a load. That is why there are so many different 15 inch tires. Very easy for a car maker to just use a tire on the market. But the engineers, for whatever reason, have the makers develop a special tire size. Pain in the butt when you are looking for alternatives.

There is nothing wrong with a trailer tire IMHO. As was stated, this is a HOTLY contested topic.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #9

I recently had a blow out on my Sanibel 3500 with the factory GY marathon tires. Another had a cut in the side wall. They had about 15,000 miles on them. I replaced them all with some "Comodore ST" tires from a Big O tire store, that's all I could find at the time.

As I understand it ST tires are speed rated at 65mph while LT tires are obviously higher, that would be a huge benefit in my eyes as my '97 Dodge 3500 Cummins/auto prefers to tow at 72mph to be happy.

ken
Old 09-29-2014, 06:42 PM   #10

15,000 miles is great for rv tires.

Tags
sanibel, tire, tires