Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #1

Sanibel paint fade.

I have one of those Sanibels 2015 model with the defective paint. Anybody know how to clean it up short of repainting. The fade is on the front cap and back cap. The sides are nasty also but from a bad paint application.
kayakerfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:23 AM   #2
Site Team

Many post on the forum about cap fade. Suggest using the frf google search at the top right of this website.

I also would be interested in other options then repainting the cap.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakerfc View Post
I have one of those Sanibels 2015 model with the defective paint. Anybody know how to clean it up short of repainting. The fade is on the front cap and back cap. The sides are nasty also but from a bad paint application.

Sanibels are NOT full body paint. They are a "High Gloss Gel Coat" (much like a boat) and as such, a good marine grade fiberglass restorer/polish may bring the lustre back to the sides. Then, keep it waxed often. The front & rear caps are a different issue. The whole RV industry suffered a few years of inadequate dye process/gel coat application on fiberglass caps. Forest River (PT) has an agreement with the cap manufacturer to extend the warranty on the front caps for 30 months from date of manufacture (not the date you purchased it) so, depending on when your unit was manufactured, you may still be covered. But, don't hesitate! Start documenting/pics with an email to Prime Times warranty division through their "contact" page on their web site. Prime Time Manufacturing - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #4

You might consider Meguiar's 50 Marine/RV One Step Cleaner Wax - Liquid - 32 oz. I have been using this product annually on my 2014 Sanibel to remove early evidence of oxidation and to restore shine. On areas of heavier oxidation usually on the front & rear caps, I carefully use Meguiar's 49 followed by an application of Meguiar's 50. While the result is not 100%, I have been more than satisfied with its glossy finish!
dreamer5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #5

Thank you for your response.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Sanibels are NOT full body paint. They are a "High Gloss Gel Coat" (much like a boat) and as such, a good marine grade fiberglass restorer/polish may bring the lustre back to the sides. Then, keep it waxed often. The front & rear caps are a different issue. The whole RV industry suffered a few years of inadequate dye process/gel coat application on fiberglass caps. Forest River (PT) has an agreement with the cap manufacturer to extend the warranty on the front caps for 30 months from date of manufacture (not the date you purchased it) so, depending on when your unit was manufactured, you may still be covered. But, don't hesitate! Start documenting/pics with an email to Prime Times warranty division through their "contact" page on their web site. Prime Time Manufacturing - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels

I spoke with them and they insisted I was one week over the warranty period. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #7

3M Marine Restorer and Wax is the best I have found by far.
https://smile.amazon.com/3M-09005-Ma...storer+and+Wax
Old 12-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #8

We paid 1000 plus for the special coating. Front cap still faded. It's at the dealer now.
All my slide floors are rotted along with other issues, to many to name. Looking to get a new trailer out of this. All manufactures defects.
Crew Cab 8 ft. bed
Sanibel 38ft QB
Dogbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sanibel