Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #1

Sanibel tank drain connections

When I need to use a dump station, I want to know if its better to elevate one side of the RV, or keep it level. Are the drains plumbed into the side of the tanks, or bottom but near one edge, or in the bottom more near the center?

Also, even after draining the tanks there is some water left. I find that even though all of the cable pulls are seated well into the closed position, I still get some of that water seeping into the pipe down-stream of the valves (so it pours out when I remove the drain connection cover). Is this normal/expected?

Thanks!
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
When I need to use a dump station, I want to know if its better to elevate one side of the RV, or keep it level. Are the drains plumbed into the side of the tanks, or bottom but near one edge, or in the bottom more near the center?

Also, even after draining the tanks there is some water left. I find that even though all of the cable pulls are seated well into the closed position, I still get some of that water seeping into the pipe down-stream of the valves (so it pours out when I remove the drain connection cover). Is this normal/expected?

Thanks!
You may have to look in the skirting to see which side the drain is on.
It maybe even in the middle.

As far as the black tank goes you never want to leave it empty after dumping.

Do a search on here for "geo-method"

Sounds like u may have a leaky shut off valve as well.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You may have to look in the skirting to see which side the drain is on.
It maybe even in the middle.

As far as the black tank goes you never want to leave it empty after dumping.

Do a search on here for "geo-method"

Sounds like u may have a leaky shut off valve as well.

Turbs
X-2 I'm with turbs !!
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If your 5W is like ours the black and gray tanks are oriented north/south and the galley and FW tanks are oriented east/west.

I'd be very difficult to get the camper set for that so level's best. I don't worry about getting every last drop out. I mentioned already, I use the GEO method on the black tank.

When winterizing, I always pour enough antifreeze down the P traps and toilet to treat any residuals left in the tanks.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #5

This quote is from Camco one of the largest producers of "RV" antifreeze.
Q. How much water should I add to your -50 RV Antifreeze to achieve a -25 burst protection?

A. Camco -50 RV Antifreeze should not be diluted. It is a pre-diluted solution that is designed to be used full strength. Additional water dramatically alters the expansion properties of the solution, making an adequate burst protection difficult to achieve.
You can probably replace the water in the traps, but I doubt that you really pouring in enough antifreeze so that it's not diluted to any real extent by what's left in the tanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

I see that RV Guy is back! I hope you can answer my original question if you get a chance. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Probably more info than you wanted . . .

Most all RV tanks have the drain at the end of the tank in the "deep" end. Some are side discharge and some are end discharge - we use both - and I'm not aware that either style will drain better or worse.

Most RV tanks are 24" - 28" across and relatively flat. It would not be surprising if you had some slow leakage out of any tank after emptying. It might be because there is little to no slope of the tank and drain lines depending on the "level" of your RV. Also, we are dealing with cross members, slide tubes, etc inside the chassis which can make the drain slope very tempermental depending on the "level" of your unit when emptying.

As far as a small leak when the gate valve is closed, this does happen sometimes. Usually, you've got some small debris - maybe even toilet paper - in the valve that often can be flushed out. It's possible you could have a defective valve, too.

Personally, I wouldn't mess around with "tilting" my RV to get it all out but I suppose you could if you wanted.

Hope this helps.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #8

With ours I get maybe a quart of clear water that settles at the outlet. I think it is what left in the pipe after draining and moving. It has been that way since new. It bothered me at first, but it has not increased so I dont worry about it anymore. If you change elevation (up) there is pressure in the drain, so the valves are sealing
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #9

Wayne,
thanks. In my case, I'll continue to get a quart or two every time I open it (even though its been parked the whole time). It has slowed a lot now (since whatever tank(s) are leaking are now emptied). We are out enjoying Tyler State Park now so hopefully the next drain will have better results.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #10

Barry, one item I have added to my drain kit it a clear connecter that has a water hose hook-up on it. I place the clear coupling on the RV then the drain, line. My unit has internal flush or scrubbers as your does. Open the drain at the dump station and when the flow decreases to a trickle close the valve, Turn on your scrubbers and let it flow for a few mins. then re-open. Repeat the process until you see clear water flowing from the dump tanks. Now you can hook up a hose to the clear coupling and flush back up the drain line. This cleans the pipe and around the connection very well. Another tip on keeping your dump tank clean, is to add a five pound bag of ice in your toilet and flush it into the holding tank prior to leaving home on your next trip. The ice will bang around inside the tank while it melts and will remove any harden material. Prior to going to the campsite to set-up stop at the dump station. You will be surprised how much material will come out of the tank. After camping and dumping the tanks, I add approx a gallon or two of water back into my tanks and a package of tank soap or cleaner that is approved for RV or boat use. As to removing all of the water at the dump station...its unlikely this will happen. I have rarely found a dump station that is designed by RVers. Most are not level and often slope the opposite way of the drain.
brw549 is offline   Reply With Quote