Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #1

Satisfaction with 290RLT ?

I looked at one yesterday and was pretty impressed. Not being an impulse buyer I wanted to search the forums and in doing so it appears there are a fair amount of complaints. (slides, counter tops, blown fuses, sound bars etc..). I know it's a relatively new line and I have also always purchased used. At just under $30K it seems like a good deal but I don't want to buy new problems. I have also noticed (on other forums) that many owners praised them initially but now do not appear to own them any longer. I am sure that there will be some bias here but I would like opinions from current and past owners of the unit. Thanks.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #2

Sorry no one has responded, We have a Crusader 260rld that we purchased in October 2011 and have yet to get out in. With warm weather we have opened it up and been checking things out. I do have the RCA radio sound bar problem with it turning on by it self. I think the first year the scwintek slide on the big slides might have had problems but not sure? they have since changed that back to the old style that is standard on most campers. I do feel it is a great camper also but sorry i cant comment more because we wont get out in it until end of april. Feel free to ask any other questions and i will try to answer as best i can. Hopefully others respond

Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

I have the 320 and couldn't be happier. If had a few bugs but nothing Prime Time hasn't taken care of in 1st class fashion.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #4

Well thanks to both of you for responding. I was beginning to think no one had this unit any longer. The one I looked at is a 2012 model and it does have the schwintek slide mechanism. Are these problematic? Thanks again.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

As a suggestion, type 290RLT in the search line and that should lead you do posts on this forum relating to that model. By reviewing those posts, you'll see who owns them and you could follow up with a private message for answers to any questions you might have.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

I don't think so. There was an 290 owner here a few weeks ago having issues but I think his problem started as a adjustment issue that cascaded into his dealer screwing his whole slide and wall up. I have that slide in my bedroom and it has been flawless so far.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #7

I believe the 2011 models came with the new type on the main slides which have the aluminum grooved mesh channels on side of slide. They now use the electric gear slide on the main big slides and the aluminum mesh channels only on the smaller slides. I would have to get my manual out but i believe they are both made by lippert? I agree with M109Rider that i couldnīt be happier so far. Yes we havenīt been out in it yet but everything has been plugged in and running without problem so we feel we should be good for our first trip
Old 03-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #8

Yep,I remember him.If I am correct the 290 like the 320 only has the Schwintek slide in the bedroom. We too have had zero issues with our unit.Took her on a 1900 mile round trip to WDW last fall and it was great.Gonna take two more this year(got them there annual pass things)and headed out on a short weekend at the end of March. I guess we will see if I winterized properly.It is what it is (man I hate that expression) a good unit for the price.Not sure how long we will keep ours,but until something really dire happens to convince me that this trailer (Crusader) and the company (PrimeTime) aren't at least worth a try, I'm going to use it as much as I can and enjoy the ride!

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #9

Smile 290RLT first road-trip!

Hi!
We took possession of our 2012 'Touring Edition' 290RLT in February.
We have just returned from a "shakedown" 12-day, 3,500 mile road trip from Missouri to Yuma, AZ and return. We have been in temps from 27F to the mid 80's!
The 290RLT towed beautifully, even in 20-25mph crosswinds and the complete 3,510 mile round-trip was accomplished at 10.9 MPG. (2012 Toyota Tundra with Tow Package, Firestone Ride-Rite air bags and TRD cold-air induction system.)

We encountered steep hills in New Mexico and Arizona but climbed all at 50 MPH or better at 3400 RPM max with no movement of the engine oil/ tranny fluid temp gauges.

We found the following 'problems' in out 290RLT:
1. a small crack in the plastic outside vent cover for the kitchen rangehood.
2. the kitchen sink lacked an adequate caulking bead and I had to fix/reinforce that on the road.
3. a small hairline crack in the toilet seat.

That is it! ALL the slides worked great as did the appliances, the hot water heater, furnace and A/C.

Our next road trip is in May to western Canada via the Pacific NW, and home via Montana and Wyoming. Whoopie!

Best wishes,
Jim & Kathy
Old 03-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone. Based on what I read it seems like a good unit so I put the deposit down today. Stay tuned!

Tags
290rlt