Old 06-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Scared to Death

We are new owners of a 318BHS and new to this forum. Had a Coleman Pop-up for 11 years, so it is a mighty big jump for us. The funny thing is we are scared to make the first trip camping.
The dealer did an amazing job spending so much time going over every button, switch, and crank with us that I dont know if we remember a thing. We keep thinking, ok he told us to do something first but what was it!!

We have emptied the Coleman and refiiled the Lacrosse and I'm so excited about how much empty space we still have.

I need a print out list of a step by step guide of what to do once we reach the campground..that is of course after we crack open the first beer to get us started!!! (Maybe we were just supposed to do that with a pop-up!)

Any pointers would be appreciated!!

MacKenzies from
Nova Scotia

TrailerMacKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Commercial Member
You've come to the right place - you will get plenty of helpful advice.

Congratulations on your purchase and thank you.

RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Make the list as you go along and choose a campsite not too far from Wallmart, thats what we did!

We arrived from Portugal with two suitcases of clothes, we collected the RV, parked it and headed for Wallmart, we had to buy everything from scratch, from tools to bedlinen.

There are some checklists for setting up camp somewhere on this forum.

Nigel & Bev
Brit Driver & Canadian Naviguesser

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
I'm from NS as well. You needn't worry.Just pull into your campsite, let the other campers have some fun laughing at you and then go ask for assistance. You'll get plenty of help. Where will be your first adventure? We just spent the weekend at Jellystone in the Valley and may go to Graves Island Provincial park next weekend.
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Don't be scared, be prepared!

Try some of the lists here...

Fiver Checklist

Lots of great advise!

PS. to the forum!

Many happy miles to you and yours!
John & Nicole
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0L 4x4
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Congratulations on your purchase. Remember to put the chemicals in the toilet! You will remember more about it then what you think. You can always practice and camp in the driveway to make sure that everything works correctly! We aren't driveway campers but there are alot of people that do this!! This forum is a wealth of information!!!!
Enjoy your first trip!!

Brian, Kellie, Breanna & Alyssa
2011 Crusader 320RLT
BC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Originally Posted by kalik282 View Post
Try some of the lists here...

Fiver Checklist

Lots of great advise!

PS. to the forum!

Many happy miles to you and yours!

There's also lots of IPHONE apps for RVers.

ALMcKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
packing pro for the iphone is a good checklist. i use that the most.
there is also a forest river app for the iphone too...

Richie and Rose
2011 Ford Expedition Limited
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WFKSS
nights camped in 2010 - 20
nights camped in 2011 - 28
Gadget63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
that is a good check list.
what i would add is connect the water and make sure u have water in the hot water heater before plugging into shore power. open the relief valve and make sure u have water there before u apply electricity.
that would be the only change i would make to the list. after ur first trip, the list is excellent.
i usually kill the breaker to the hw heater before i leave the campground and don't turn it back on until after i am fully set up. the hw heating element was the first thing wrong with mine. the trailer had been in a show and somewhere along the line was turned on without water. they don't don't last long.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #10
Welcome to the forum from another Nova Scotian. It can be overwhelming trying to take in everything during the demo when picking up a new trailer. We did it twice last year first when we graduared from tent to tent trailer then after trading up to a hybrid a couple months later. What I did with our tent trailer was I set it up in the drive way as soon as we got home from the dealer while it was all fresh in memory and went over everything on my own time to get familiar with it. Our first trip was to a campground close to home where we could go and pick up things close by if we needed. Later when we traded up to the hybrid, we literally left the dealer and went right to a campground and set up right away. Both times we made a list as we went along of anything we wanted to add for future.

The other thing to remember is don't be afraid to ask someone at a campground for help or advice, just as people are helpful on this forum, most people are just as helpful at campgrounds. I have helped people myself and gotten some great advice from people at campgrounds.

Best of luck on your new trailer and take your time, have a couple cold ones and enjoy. Maybe we will cross paths some time.

rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote