Old 12-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
slide in or out?

We had an after market canopy installed over the slide-out so that we could leave it extended during seasonal camping. After one season, no problems. I liked how the awning kept debris and water off the slide-out roof.

biker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
2014 tracer 2670.. This past summer I was seasonal and when i left camp on sunday i would close my slide and then when i returned on friday i would reopen it.. I did this all summer long.. I may add that i have a slide topper on the slide. All the other campers always question me on why i always shut the slide instead of leaving it open all year long. I am just afraid that if it rains it will sag and ruin the slide topper. What do most here recommend? are there positives or negatives with either? would opening and closing the slide every weekend wear out the cable slide or is opening and closing actually good for the slide? thanks
I leave mine in because one year on my previous trailer, mice got in with the slide out, it was in October when things started to cool down. Since then, I leave them in.

Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:46 AM   #13
Me, I would pull the slides in when I left for any period of time. A couple of reasons IMO is that the sun alone will shorten the life of the cover, Second adding a beach ball for draining will just stretch the material more then a little water pooling. Your slide covers should be checked for the correct tension which would help with run off. 3rd reason is the wind itself, which would cause premature wear. Slides are made to come in and go out. Most people who leave them open is because of things that they have to move to bring them in. If your pooling that much water that you have to put a device in under it your spring tension is to loose. If your there, all you have to do is bring it in a foot or so to dump any water off. I have also repositioned my slide down father about a 1/4'" or so to create a steeper angle to aid in the run off. Just enough to clear the top of the slide edge. If you look at the gap you could see how much to lower the roller end. Also closing and opening your slide is good for mech. and the seals.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

camper, slide, slide out