Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Sheared Front Jack Bolt

My 290 has sheared the bolt on the front jacks which connects the jack to the shaft on the opposite side of the motor. This has happened about four times since new. I have only had it out twice and have only hitched it up about a half a dozen times. It happened once when I used the jack crank and the other times just unhitching. I have learned to keep several spare bolts but I know this can't be normal. Is anyone else having this issue or heard of it? Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin View Post
My 290 has sheared the bolt on the front jacks which connects the jack to the shaft on the opposite side of the motor. This has happened about four times since new. I have only had it out twice and have only hitched it up about a half a dozen times. It happened once when I used the jack crank and the other times just unhitching. I have learned to keep several spare bolts but I know this can't be normal. Is anyone else having this issue or heard of it? Thanks.
Don't know what your problem is, but I would remove the connecting tube and see how hard the jack is to operate. Mine has a slug in the end of the tube that fits the jack and also fits the inside of the tube that takes the load off the bolt. If your's is missing that slug, then I would get one from the dealer/mfg or make one and in the mean time get a gr 8 bolt (has 6 hash marks on head).
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Don't know what your problem is, but I would remove the connecting tube and see how hard the jack is to operate. Mine has a slug in the end of the tube that fits the jack and also fits the inside of the tube that takes the load off the bolt. If your's is missing that slug, then I would get one from the dealer/mfg or make one and in the mean time get a gr 8 bolt (has 6 hash marks on head).
Mine is just an open end box tube...no slug. What you say makes sense as it would eliminate play in the connection. I purposely did not use grade 8 bolts because I thought the bolt may be stronger than the tube and cause the tube to fail. Then I would have a whole new set of problems. Thanks for your help.
__________________
Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin View Post
Mine is just an open end box tube...no slug. What you say makes sense as it would eliminate play in the connection. I purposely did not use grade 8 bolts because I thought the bolt may be stronger than the tube and cause the tube to fail. Then I would have a whole new set of problems. Thanks for your help.
Would remove the tube first and see if the jack works ok first. Mine has a lid on the top that can be removed to inspect the gears. You might want to check that also to make sure nothing is amiss in the gears. Make sure they have grease on them also. If you can't find a slug for the tube and the shaft is round with a flat on it, you can cut a strip of steel that fits inside the tube and drill a hole in the strip and use that as the slug. The tube may be off center if you can't add a strip on both sides of the shaft.
__________________
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Thanks for the insight. I will give it a test run next weekend.
__________________
Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
wfmdfm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Middleboro, MA
Posts: 302
On mine I have made marks on the legs so I don't bring it all the way back in and lock up the motor. That way there will be much less stress on the motor and linkage.
Wally
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2015 Toyota Tundra
wfmdfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 580
Smokin - this definitely doesn't sound normal. Contact Customer Service on this (like you did on the shower surround) and let them help. We probably need to get our supplier involved.

PTM
__________________
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
On mine I have made marks on the legs so I don't bring it all the way back in and lock up the motor. That way there will be much less stress on the motor and linkage.
Wally
I don't think I maxed out retracting the jacks. The last time I did not know the bolt had sheared until I unhitched.
__________________
Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
Smokin - this definitely doesn't sound normal. Contact Customer Service on this (like you did on the shower surround) and let them help. We probably need to get our supplier involved.

PTM
Thanks. I will. Can you speak to the slug or lack thereof?
__________________
Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 580
I'm embarrassed to say I'm not familiar with the slug you're referring to. I'll be following up to learn more about it though.

PTM
__________________

__________________
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.