Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #1

Sheared Front Jack Bolt

My 290 has sheared the bolt on the front jacks which connects the jack to the shaft on the opposite side of the motor. This has happened about four times since new. I have only had it out twice and have only hitched it up about a half a dozen times. It happened once when I used the jack crank and the other times just unhitching. I have learned to keep several spare bolts but I know this can't be normal. Is anyone else having this issue or heard of it? Thanks.
Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin View Post
My 290 has sheared the bolt on the front jacks which connects the jack to the shaft on the opposite side of the motor. This has happened about four times since new. I have only had it out twice and have only hitched it up about a half a dozen times. It happened once when I used the jack crank and the other times just unhitching. I have learned to keep several spare bolts but I know this can't be normal. Is anyone else having this issue or heard of it? Thanks.
Don't know what your problem is, but I would remove the connecting tube and see how hard the jack is to operate. Mine has a slug in the end of the tube that fits the jack and also fits the inside of the tube that takes the load off the bolt. If your's is missing that slug, then I would get one from the dealer/mfg or make one and in the mean time get a gr 8 bolt (has 6 hash marks on head).
Old 09-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Don't know what your problem is, but I would remove the connecting tube and see how hard the jack is to operate. Mine has a slug in the end of the tube that fits the jack and also fits the inside of the tube that takes the load off the bolt. If your's is missing that slug, then I would get one from the dealer/mfg or make one and in the mean time get a gr 8 bolt (has 6 hash marks on head).
Mine is just an open end box tube...no slug. What you say makes sense as it would eliminate play in the connection. I purposely did not use grade 8 bolts because I thought the bolt may be stronger than the tube and cause the tube to fail. Then I would have a whole new set of problems. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Mine is just an open end box tube...no slug. What you say makes sense as it would eliminate play in the connection. I purposely did not use grade 8 bolts because I thought the bolt may be stronger than the tube and cause the tube to fail. Then I would have a whole new set of problems. Thanks for your help.
Would remove the tube first and see if the jack works ok first. Mine has a lid on the top that can be removed to inspect the gears. You might want to check that also to make sure nothing is amiss in the gears. Make sure they have grease on them also. If you can't find a slug for the tube and the shaft is round with a flat on it, you can cut a strip of steel that fits inside the tube and drill a hole in the strip and use that as the slug. The tube may be off center if you can't add a strip on both sides of the shaft.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #5

Thanks for the insight. I will give it a test run next weekend.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:09 AM   #6

On mine I have made marks on the legs so I don't bring it all the way back in and lock up the motor. That way there will be much less stress on the motor and linkage.
Wally
Old 10-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Smokin - this definitely doesn't sound normal. Contact Customer Service on this (like you did on the shower surround) and let them help. We probably need to get our supplier involved.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
On mine I have made marks on the legs so I don't bring it all the way back in and lock up the motor. That way there will be much less stress on the motor and linkage.
Wally
I don't think I maxed out retracting the jacks. The last time I did not know the bolt had sheared until I unhitched.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
Smokin - this definitely doesn't sound normal. Contact Customer Service on this (like you did on the shower surround) and let them help. We probably need to get our supplier involved.

PTM
Thanks. I will. Can you speak to the slug or lack thereof?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
Commercial Member

I'm embarrassed to say I'm not familiar with the slug you're referring to. I'll be following up to learn more about it though.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Thanks. I will. Can you speak to the slug or lack thereof?
Mine has a slug in both ends of the square tube. Forgot to mention, they are both molded plastic of some sort. Only reason I know is the driver side jack gears went out the 3rd time we used it. Rather than replacing the gears, they replaced the jack and really messed up the install. I had to take the entire jack out again including the square tube. They spent 3 hrs on it and I did the same thing in 1 hr. Tech had never done one before.