Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #1

Slide out troubles

I have a 301 RLS Lacrosse and the closet slideout won't go out. I had it out yesterday and washed the trailer with a hose. I paid attention not to spray into the sides of the slideout. When I press the "out" side of the switch nothing happens, when I press the "in" side of the switch you can hear the motor power up for a second. I just pulled into the US Army Recreation Area in Destin Florida, and I'm lost at this point. Also is there a way to manually move the slideouts out?

Thanks in advance!!

Mike
shooterguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Maybe this can help.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
DS ADV Rider

I had the same issue with my 2012 Lacrosse 301RLS. I read all the online help, watched the Schwintek videos, called Prime Time and talked to Roger and an engineer, called Schwintek and talked to Support and an engineer.

None of it helped. There is no simple manual override to crank out the slide. The Motors (1 per side near the top) MUST be removed. They are held in with a security screw that's impossible to remove without damaging the coach, when the slide is IN.

I gave up trying myself and took it to a PT dealer, who also had a difficult time. They drilled 3 holes THROUGH the bodywork trying to locate the security screw. It was NOT in the location the manufacturers said it would be. The eventual labour cost was more than twice the cost of the replacement motor.

I'm using my trailer again but I decided it needs to be modified by pre-drilling a large hole for access on both sides and then fitting some sort of weatherproof cover.

BTW, the Schwintek video assumes your slide is stuck OUT, and you want to get it in. There is no way an owner can get the slide OUT if it fails while IN.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
I had the same issue with my 2012 Lacrosse 301RLS. I read all the online help, watched the Schwintek videos, called Prime Time and talked to Roger and an engineer, called Schwintek and talked to Support and an engineer.

None of it helped. There is no simple manual override to crank out the slide. The Motors (1 per side near the top) MUST be removed. They are held in with a security screw that's impossible to remove without damaging the coach, when the slide is IN.

I gave up trying myself and took it to a PT dealer, who also had a difficult time. They drilled 3 holes THROUGH the bodywork trying to locate the security screw. It was NOT in the location the manufacturers said it would be. The eventual labour cost was more than twice the cost of the replacement motor.

I'm using my trailer again but I decided it needs to be modified by pre-drilling a large hole for access on both sides and then fitting some sort of weatherproof cover.

BTW, the Schwintek video assumes your slide is stuck OUT, and you want to get it in. There is no way an owner can get the slide OUT if it fails while IN.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Bob
You are saying that according to the video you could not remove the motor and push the closet slide out as opposed to pushing it in??? Looks to me like slide could be pushed in or out also if motor is removed as shown in the video?? Just want to make sure for future reference if same were to happen to me...
Old 08-03-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
Site Team

Sorry, I forgot about this thread. Please keep us posted on your slideout issue.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...e-59379-4.html

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
You are saying that according to the video you could not remove the motor and push the closet slide out as opposed to pushing it in??? Looks to me like slide could be pushed in or out also if motor is removed as shown in the video?? Just want to make sure for future reference if same were to happen to me...
That's exactly what I'm saying. The video clearly shows the security screw is on the OUTSIDE wall and is COVERED by the slideout trim when it's closed. There is no access to the retaining security screw from inside the trailer. I'm guessing Schwintek decided the REAL problem is a slide motor failing in the OUT position and you need to close it to drive home. There's no safety issue with the slide stuck IN.

It's really poorly documented. If you don't know your slideout is a Schwintek (I didn't, I had to phone PT to find out), and if you don't have Internet access to view the videos, and if you don't notice that the videos DON'T point out this only works for a slide that's stuck OUT, then what do you do? The OP's problem occurred on site and may ruin his trip because the bedroom isn't easy to use with the slideout IN, especially if your bedding is in the inaccessible linen closet.

I took some photos of my unit a few days ago and will be adding more info to the thread I started on this topic a short while back.

Bob
Old 08-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #7

Ok i see don't know why that did not register in my mind when I looked at the video. Their has to be a way to get the slide out if motor fails. I guess i just need to look at the manual.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:30 PM   #8
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Paul View Post
..... Their has to be a way to get the slide out if motor fails. I guess i just need to look at the manual.
This is a way the get the slide out if it fails IN. Prime Time will tell you to drill a hole in the slideout trim (but not where exactly), remove the security screw, remove the motor, fit a new motor and replace the now damaged slideout trim.

And that's NOT in any Manual

Bob
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
This is a way the get the slide out if it fails IN. Prime Time will tell you to drill a hole in the slideout trim (but not where exactly), remove the security screw, remove the motor, fit a new motor and replace the now damaged slideout trim.

And that's NOT in any Manual

Bob
This is more than stupid if this is the way it is to be fixed. If I understand the video correctly that also means you would have to drill through rubber seal so that would then need replacing. I guess this is how they keep the dealers work when a slide fails and can not be opened. The more i read and see on this forum the more I wish I kept my old TT with no slides and every thing simple to fix.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #10

I got my slide out to go "out" yesterday. All I did was bang my fist against the wall near the motor. I'm not sure if I have a short or something going on in the motor. I will need to get it checked out when I get back to Georgia.

Thanks for all the comments and assistance.
shooterguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
DS ADV Rider

Really glad to hear your slideout working again. There is a plug-in electrical connector right beside the motor that may be loose but doubt if a bang on the wall would fix it - more likely the opposite, it would fall out. Perhaps the gearbox was "jammed" (mine was seized, I think, from water ingress during winter storage when Ontario had the worst winter in recent history) and the thump freed it. Have the dealer check for signs of rusting around the motor gearbox.

I should clarify, I really like my Lacrosse and have had new trailers before and none are trouble-free - it's just the nature of the industry. They are very light on manufacturing documentation and it seems too much is left up to the individual building the trailer. However, once the initial bugs are out, I've usually had a good experience.

Bob
Old 08-19-2014, 04:26 AM   #12

Thanks to all who posted info in this thread. I've got a Tracer with a kitchen slide that's not retracting snugly. The lower edge is staying out about an inch. I've got service scheduled and even the tech said over the phone the motor likely at the end of its life and needs replaced. That said I'm braving a trip before the service call. Maybe not the smartest move but with this info I feel I can make a valiant effort at making it home should the worst occur.

2008 F150 FX4 5.4L & 3.73s
2014 PTM Tracer 3200BHT
Yes...I've finally made it to Prime Time!
Mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:41 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooterguy71 View Post
I got my slide out to go "out" yesterday. All I did was bang my fist against the wall near the motor. I'm not sure if I have a short or something going on in the motor. I will need to get it checked out when I get back to Georgia.

Thanks for all the comments and assistance.
Sound like the moulded barnes is bad, had this happen twice. The femalconenctor has rubber flashing from the moulding process inside. Cleaned the rubber out with a drill bit used as a scrapper. Worked fine after. I did this after the harness was replaced, new one was still bad. Also treated the connector to de-oxit also known as Cramaleon. A contact cleaner that stays put.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out