That is an interesting post. That Solaris was a mess.
I do like the drip edge idea on the bottom of the rooms.
I don't believe the Flexmend tape is the answer either given the high friction caused at the floor when sliding. This was evidenced with my Gorilla tape test, and is what is causing the Darco to fail as well.
It's now obvious to me that adhesive is not the answer for applying my laminate strip idea as the construction adhesive test I tried failed miserably. Not much will stick to the slippery Darco.
Given that I already have worn Darco to the point of exposed flooring, I thought some type of fastener would be OK to try, but the laminate is to thin to allow for any type of screw, even if you tried to countersink them (I did, no success). Whatever slides against the mating floor guide (not sure what to call it) needs to be as sooth as possible as not to gouge the guide, so screw heads, etc. are not options.
I decided to use a staple gun to attach the strips. The staples are exposed, but doing it a certain way, and hammering them in as much as possible minimizes the risk of damaging the guide as much as possible. Hopefully you can what the orientation of the staples is, which is important. It's also important to make sure there is a angled leading edge where it meets the guide so it rides up over it easily, rather than butting into it. This is simply done by sanding or a file.
I installed one and it tested great, so I installed the other, ran the room in and out a couple of times and it worked quite well. Actually it moved very smoothly.
Here's a pic of what one side looks like.
Time will tell, but I'm encouraged by the results so far. If I change my mind, they can be removed without damage to the room floor.