Old 09-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #91
Site Team

Im not sure the slide bottom can handle rollers on the fridge slide.
im going to look at this part in next few days.
part number 10F009458 slide out repair panels attachet with gorrila tape and then usE slide slickers on the carpet and Masonite on the flooring. . Although Pt has shot it down. Its the best answer so far. Still waiting for a pt cure.......
Mine goes in next week for several repairs, hope pt comes through with a GOOD FIX.
A wear strip / rollers?? or both ?? is the only fix thats gonna last. Band-aids and duck tape wont last.

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #92

Agreed - Gorilla tape is not the answer - I tried it already and it just bunches up the first time the slide is retracted.

The thin wear strip idea makes the most sense to me, but attaching it needs to be correct.
I'm working an idea in my head which involves 6" wide strips of counter laminate (Formica). It is very hard, smooth, slippery and very thin. Sanding the leading edge (toward the trailer) to a knife edge so the transition is smooth would be necessary.
I have some extra at home that I'm thinking about using on my dinette slide, where it is only an issue so far.
As for attaching it, I'm not sure what would work best to adhere to the Darco wrap, but I'm thinking about cutting out some small areas of it to get the adhesive to stick to the wood bottom and the laminate strips. Maybe some good construction adhesive?

I have to do something as my rig goes into storage in two weeks, and my warranty is up in early spring, plus I do not want any reason to bring my 5er to my dealer. I don't trust them. I've taken care of everything needed myself so far, probably better too.

If I do this, I'll be sure to share it here.

2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2006 Silverado 2500HD LT SW ECSB, 6L LQ4/4L80E 4.10s w/16K Curt slider (not necessary), Air Lift bags & Black Bear Performance tune & CAI

Norm & Karen Zondervan
zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #93
Site Team

Gorilla tape bunches when to attach the wear strip??,
Seasonal
Old 09-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Gorilla tape bunches when to attach the wear strip??,
Gorilla tape bunches when it is taped directly to the Darco wrap. Something hard and smooth/slick (sorry, the best way to describe it) needs to slide against what appears to be some type of black plastic guide. That is where I got the laminate idea.

I tried contact cement, but it will not adhere to the Darco. I'm testing some LocTite all purpose construction adhesive right now in a test area. If this works, I plan to cut some laminate strips and glue one in on one side to do a test.
For my dinette slide, the wear is on both ends, probably because this is where the slide room load is transferred to the floor assy by the front and back walls.

2006 Silverado 2500HD LT SW ECSB, 6L LQ4/4L80E 4.10s w/16K Curt slider (not necessary), Air Lift bags & Black Bear Performance tune & CAI

Norm & Karen Zondervan
Old 09-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
Gorilla tape bunches when it is taped directly to the Darco wrap. Something hard and smooth/slick (sorry, the best way to describe it) needs to slide against what appears to be some type of black plastic guide. That is where I got the laminate idea.

I tried contact cement, but it will not adhere to the Darco. I'm testing some LocTite all purpose construction adhesive right now in a test area. If this works, I plan to cut some laminate strips and glue one in on one side to do a test.
For my dinette slide, the wear is on both ends, probably because this is where the slide room load is transferred to the floor assy by the front and back walls.
You could try some 3M 4000 or 5200 adhesive- sealant but rough up the Darco first. You could get something thicker drill and counter sink the holes and use small screws to hold it up, the adhesive will take the sheer load plus make the strips longer so they stay between the slide and that black plastic strip.
2017 3 so far
2015 57/2016 52
2014 40/2013 38
keepaeyeonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #96

Please don't use 5200. It is extremely permanent (as in can never be removed).
Old 09-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #97

This link has a good write-up & pictures on the repair plus links to materials:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Slide Floor Water Damage (Long with lots of pics)
-
This looks to be the tape used: Flexmend Belly Tape | Mobile Home Repair
Old 09-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #98
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
This link has a good write-up & pictures on the repair plus links to materials:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Slide Floor Water Damage (Long with lots of pics)
-
This looks to be the tape used: Flexmend Belly Tape | Mobile Home Repair
Great post!!!!!!!
nice nice links! and his dont even look worn except for the holes.
.Not gonna let that happen to mine. You have to read thru that whole thread to really see the damage.
Seasonal
Old 09-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #99

That is an interesting post. That Solaris was a mess.
I do like the drip edge idea on the bottom of the rooms.

I don't believe the Flexmend tape is the answer either given the high friction caused at the floor when sliding. This was evidenced with my Gorilla tape test, and is what is causing the Darco to fail as well.

It's now obvious to me that adhesive is not the answer for applying my laminate strip idea as the construction adhesive test I tried failed miserably. Not much will stick to the slippery Darco.

Given that I already have worn Darco to the point of exposed flooring, I thought some type of fastener would be OK to try, but the laminate is to thin to allow for any type of screw, even if you tried to countersink them (I did, no success). Whatever slides against the mating floor guide (not sure what to call it) needs to be as sooth as possible as not to gouge the guide, so screw heads, etc. are not options.

Success!
I decided to use a staple gun to attach the strips. The staples are exposed, but doing it a certain way, and hammering them in as much as possible minimizes the risk of damaging the guide as much as possible. Hopefully you can what the orientation of the staples is, which is important. It's also important to make sure there is a angled leading edge where it meets the guide so it rides up over it easily, rather than butting into it. This is simply done by sanding or a file.
I installed one and it tested great, so I installed the other, ran the room in and out a couple of times and it worked quite well. Actually it moved very smoothly.

Here's a pic of what one side looks like.

Time will tell, but I'm encouraged by the results so far. If I change my mind, they can be removed without damage to the room floor.

Norm & Karen Zondervan
Old 09-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #100

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
ZS-Please keep us posted as to how well your mod. holds up.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out