Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #481
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Those look real good, but you need to protect the edge from seeping water with something. by the picture it still looks like material there, am I wrong?.....
The black material was still in great shape, some on the bottom and up the sides to the molding, so I left it as it was. The white runners do have sealant on top, around the edges and around the screw holes, then it was positioned and screwed down. Kind of a "gasket" between the two... Also the "squeeze out" was cleaned up around the edges and screw holes... I am hoping this works in the long term, but time will tell.. Really slides a lot easier by what I can tell..

Thanks and Happy Camping!!
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #482
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 830hvacman View Post
The black material was still in great shape, some on the bottom and up the sides to the molding, so I left it as it was. The white runners do have sealant on top, around the edges and around the screw holes, then it was positioned and screwed down. Kind of a "gasket" between the two... Also the "squeeze out" was cleaned up around the edges and screw holes... I am hoping this works in the long term, but time will tell.. Really slides a lot easier by what I can tell..

Thanks and Happy Camping!!
Think you have a crusader 295? isnt that a laminated slide bottom? If so, Im a little concerned about the screws pulling out and becoming a bigger problem.

It was important to me to wrap the sides as there is no other protection there but fabric.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #483
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun225 View Post
Well after 3 months of being at the dealer to fix under slide and other issues we got our 351 REQ back. The under slide issue was repaired with tape. Not happy but that's all I can get out of the dealer and Prime Time. They must be screening calls and emails because they will still not answer emails and call or respond to us. This is my very first camper and Prime Time. We love the floor plan of our camper but do not think we will ever buy another FR/PT unit.
What?? prime time has always responded to me , if not the first time maybe on the 2nd or 3rd time.
Are you relying on your dealer to get a hold of them?

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #484

Still waiting

I am having the same communication problems with PT. I have called and left my number and have e-mailed over two weeks ago without any returns. PT sent my dealer one plastic panel to repair my slide wear area and they taped the area that was ripping at the center of the driver's side slide. I requested that they contact PT about adding the plastic panel to the other slide since it is also showing wear. My 295 has been in the shop since Jan 15 waiting on PT to approve action on repairs. I am wearing thin on patience, but I am at PT's mercy and my warranty will run out in May, and I was told that the extended warranty probably not cover any future problems . :0(
Fufys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #485
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fufys View Post
I am having the same communication problems with PT. I have called and left my number and have e-mailed over two weeks ago without any returns. PT sent my dealer one plastic panel to repair my slide wear area and they taped the area that was ripping at the center of the driver's side slide. I requested that they contact PT about adding the plastic panel to the other slide since it is also showing wear. My 295 has been in the shop since Jan 15 waiting on PT to approve action on repairs. I am wearing thin on patience, but I am at PT's mercy and my warranty will run out in May, and I was told that the extended warranty probably not cover any future problems . :0(
Save all your documentation , emails and anything else. You reported this while under warranty.
I just cant understand whats going on with all the lack of response from prime time. They have always been so good returning calls and email from me.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-02-2015, 09:51 AM   #486

Quote:
Originally Posted by 830hvacman View Post
I purchased a 24"x48" 1/4 sheet of UHMW (white) for about $55 on Ebay. Cut 2 - 6" wide x 48" strips, crosscut to 27" for my 24" deep kitchen slide, rounded over the edges, drilled and counter sunk for screws. Attached w/ #10 x1" flat head screws, also added some caulking on the top side around the edge and around each screw holes before attaching to the slide-out. I did have to jack up the slide to make room for the new runners. I did adjust the slide up 1/4" as well to compensate for the new 1/4" runners, lower rubber wiper is still in contact w/ bottom of the slide and there is still plenty of room up at the roof gasket.

So after a day's work this is what I have.. a 6" wide runner on each end plus my cutoffs were ripped down the middle to make 2 - 3" wide runners, staggered for the required length of 27" in the middle under the frig.

I still have enough material left over from the 2x4 sheet to make runners for the living room slide if I see wear starting to happen..

Hope this help, and I'll keep you posted of how things look going forward.

Note: UHMW was easy to cut and shape w/ regular wood working tools, table saw, router table, etc.
Very similar to what I did with countertop laminate. I did notice that my slides run more smoothly and with less effort for the linear actuators after the mod. I also sprayed the laminate surface with silicone for a very slick surface.
Just an observation - regarding your use of the .25" material, I would be concerned about the rest of the floor on your slide that is now effectively not supported by the plastic runner that the floor slides on, and is supposed to be supported along its length when the slide is deployed. This is the reason I used the thinnest material I could think of.

We are mostly seeing wear at the edges of our slides because this is where the load is highest due to the load bearing walls, so addressing the problem here is a good start.
I should have looked at some of the new models at the RV show in January to see if anything had been done to address this obvious problem.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #487
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
Very similar to what I did with countertop laminate. I did notice that my slides run more smoothly and with less effort for the linear actuators after the mod. I also sprayed the laminate surface with silicone for a very slick surface.
Just an observation - regarding your use of the .25" material, I would be concerned about the rest of the floor on your slide that is now effectively not supported by the plastic runner that the floor slides on, and is supposed to be supported along its length when the slide is deployed. This is the reason I used the thinnest material I could think of.

We are mostly seeing wear at the edges of our slides because this is where the load is highest due to the load bearing walls, so addressing the problem here is a good start.
I should have looked at some of the new models at the RV show in January to see if anything had been done to address this obvious problem.
I was thinking the same thing, about some of the un-supported flooring between the runners, and since I have lots and material left over - about going back under w/ a least 2 more 6" wide runners between the existing 3 runners now. But since we really do no walk on this floor area, I will see how it works out during our 1st trip w/ the new (only 3) runners. Thanks!!!
830hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:44 PM   #488

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425490904.965678.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1425490932.079173.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  70.3 KB
. Pics showing tearing and wearing of under slide material. #1 also shows an apparent patch that was.made before we bought it. This is a Crusader 295.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #489

Quote:
Attachment 70676Attachment 70677. Pics showing tearing and wearing of under slide material. #1 also shows an apparent patch that was.made before we bought it. This is a Crusader 295.
If you want to try what Rockwood uses on the edge. I have 4 new That if you pay shipping you can have them and try it. PM me if you want them
It will atleast stop water from seeping in the edge. Just cut the 45 degree off. they are about 41/2' x 23/4" wide and go's up about 2" under the third picture. Or if any others want to try them, first come gets them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide edges strip 001.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	70682   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide edges strip 002.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	70683   Click image for larger version

Name:	slide edges strip 003.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	70684  

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #490

I received a call from my dealer, they tried to install the 'slide kit' and in their own words after running the slide in and out the kit 'shattered'. Not sure what they meant by that, but it was clear they felt the solution would not work.

They have reached back out to PT and we will see what happens next.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:34 PM   #491
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
I received a call from my dealer, they tried to install the 'slide kit' and in their own words after running the slide in and out the kit 'shattered'. Not sure what they meant by that, but it was clear they felt the solution would not work.

They have reached back out to PT and we will see what happens next.
Wow, too cold, incorrectly installed, do tell?

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-06-2015, 09:02 AM   #492

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Those look real good, but you need to protect the edge from seeping water with something. by the picture it still looks like material there, am I wrong?.....

You went thicker than mine but same idea. I ran a bead of Rv pro flex caulk along the Darco on the edge.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 03-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Wow, too cold, incorrectly installed, do tell?
Not sure, I have been out of town and quite busy lately. I did email PT to ask them about it, I've yet to hear back. Hopefully in the next few weeks something will happen.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 03-10-2015, 06:50 PM   #494

I am seriously considering selling my 295 and take the hit financially and move on. I had a Keystone Laredo that I traded in on this Crusader due to a mechanical design problem with a slide and they said that it was operating the way it was designed, indicating that they designed a slide that would not open fully and the pantry doors would not open all the way. BUT at least they showed me the courtesy to reply to my e-mails. I have yet to hear anything from PT and my dealer doesn't know as much as I know due to this forum. They have repaired the tearing of the material, but can't tell me what caused the problem in the first place and thus can't fix the problem. I am just fed up with the mfgs shotty workmanship and lack of concern for the consumers that pay good money for their products. Thanks for letting me vent! Think I'll go look at summer camping pictures and mellow out!
Old 03-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #495
Site Team

Quote:
I am seriously considering selling my 295 and take the hit financially and move on. I had a Keystone Laredo that I traded in on this Crusader due to a mechanical design problem with a slide and they said that it was operating the way it was designed, indicating that they designed a slide that would not open fully and the pantry doors would not open all the way. BUT at least they showed me the courtesy to reply to my e-mails. I have yet to hear anything from PT and my dealer doesn't know as much as I know due to this forum. They have repaired the tearing of the material, but can't tell me what caused the problem in the first place and thus can't fix the problem. I am just fed up with the mfgs shotty workmanship and lack of concern for the consumers that pay good money for their products. Thanks for letting me vent! Think I'll go look at summer camping pictures and mellow out!
Prime time contacts are on page 11.

Forest River Forums - Downloads - forest river contacts

Both of these contacts have been good to work with. 2nd # is fax
Lacrosse, Tracer, Crusader,
Sanibel, Avenger
Rick Koelndorfer (Svc/Warr
Asst) rkoelndorfer@forestriverinc.com (574) 862-3053 (574) 970-6886

Lacrosse, Tracer, Crusader,
Sanibel, Avenger
Shane Imus (Director of
Svc/Warr/Parts) simus@forestriverinc.com (574) 862-3033 (574) 970-7983

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #496

Will someone make a closeup picture of damaged area and point out where you are installing slide material. Think I see some fraying on one of the pics but it is pretty dark. Think I have noticed the same thing on my '14 295 that's only been operated a few times.
rrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 PM   #497
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrickett View Post
Will someone make a closeup picture of damaged area and point out where you are installing slide material. Think I see some fraying on one of the pics but it is pretty dark. Think I have noticed the same thing on my '14 295 that's only been operated a few times.
Forest River Forums - Platokidd's Album: slide-out wear

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #498

I have heard back from my dealer, they contacted PT to discuss and they determined that they installed the kit incorrectly. They did not raise the slide. I am not sure how they could have overlooked something so obvious. In either case since PT sent 2 sets they were able to install the slide kit on the road side slide. It has not been showing much, if any signs of wearing.

PT are going to now ship a second set to replace the first set that my dealer messed up. In speaking with the service manager (he was not around during the first attempted install), he does feel that this solution will do the job. He mentioned they were using both adhesive and small screws. The kit does also wrap up around the edge of the slide.

Once I get back in town in a few weeks I will pick up the rig and see what I think. If the fix does not stop the wear you can bet your bottom dollar that PT will be hearing from me.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 03-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #499
Site Team

another_newfie, My dear did not raise my slide either like I asked(not surprised). So Im always watching it.
See if you can get the part number and post it. Curious if its the same as mine.
Post pics when you can too would be great.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #500

Once I pick the rig up, I will get some pictures. I will ask my dealer parts person for the part number as well.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD

Tags
slide, slide out