Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #61

RV Guy posted in this thread early on 8/16.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #62
gonecampin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
RV Guy posted in this thread early on 8/16.
I sure hope that FR doesn't hang us all out to dry like a sheet in the wind.

Kalispell, MT
gonecampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #63

I've yet to bring mine into my dealer about this, I figure why bother. PT has yet to determine what they are going to do about it. I also have little doubt that if I initiate a call to PT myself and reach Roger I'll get ZERO from him.

I do have confidence they'll do something. If they don't, they will have a huge problem on their hands as about all of us are experiencing this issue. Mine gets worse every time the slide is used.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #64
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
I've yet to bring mine into my dealer about this, I figure why bother. PT has yet to determine what they are going to do about it. I also have little doubt that if I initiate a call to PT myself and reach Roger I'll get ZERO from him.

I do have confidence they'll do something. If they don't, they will have a huge problem on their hands as about all of us are experiencing this issue. Mine gets worse every time the slide is used.
every day the list grows with people with this problem. I would bet every unit with this type of bottom and ends has this problem whether they know it or not. I look in the campgrounds for these units. Have not seen a good one yet.
Half the people didnt even know it was a problem. Or there dealer gave them some BS that its okay. One guy even told me prime time told him "they didnt know of any problem like that"
Guess who told them that?? R
Im just hoping for a "real fix" that will last! tired of band-aids and half as_ remedys that dont last!
Lets see what they come up with! I think they do care but the proofs in the puddin.
Im going to give Prime Time a chance to come up with a good fix! This could be a defining moment for PT! I hope its there finest hour!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:02 AM   #65

I would have to agree Platokidd. Hopefully they do so sooner rather than later.

I to have been told by the Customer Service person (R) that "we don't know of any problems like you describe" in the past and then turns out they do and the issue has been getting attention.

Lets make sure we all keep each other up to date on what we learn in the future.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
I to have been told by the Customer Service person (R) that "we don't know of any problems like you describe" in the past and then turns out they do and the issue has been getting attention.
That is one of the most irritating components of this issue. I am also not surprised this is what you were told. They clearly know there is a problem, they have now seen it multiple times. Frustrating to say the least.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #67
Site Team

Im sure they all know about it now. I see someones doing a poll about this problem.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-47045.html

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #68
Commercial Member

I wanted to address some aspects of this situation as it certainly is generating a lot of attention.

Essentially, there are three different types of slide floors that we use at Prime Time and all of them are being lumped into the same conversation on this thread.

1) Darco wrapped - This design is primarily used on Crusader and Sanibel sofa/dinette superslides. Basically, we wrap and glue the underside of the wood floor in a breathable, durable fabric that provides protection to the underside of the floor. This material is commonly called Darco. A huge percentage of the industry uses this application. It's lightweight and durable, but does have a tendency to tear and rip. This is a one-piece type of application that will NOT have the tape edges that are fraying in some of the above posts. For our first couple of years, we used Darco wrapped slides on all of our superslide floors, but we have transitioned away from this design in our travel trailers and will eventually transition away from this design on fifth wheels, too.

We do experience warranty claims on this material, but at this point, we don't think the Darco-wrapped floors are showing excessive wear as it pertains to this thread. The claims we receive on Darco are for tears and rips.

2) Pre-Engineered Board - Most of our travel trailers use a Pre-Engineered Slide Floor for their sofa/dinette superslides. This is basically a board that we buy pre-cut that already has a sealant applied to the bottom and edges. The benefit to this application is that the applied sealant is much more durable than the Darco and eliminates warranty from tears and rips. Even though this Pre-Engineered Board does have sealant applied to the edges and is fully warranted as it comes to us, we have chosen to apply an extra measure of protection for the edges in the form of Darco tape. This is a product very similar to what is used in application 1 above, but it has an adhesive applied on one side. This tape is what is fraying in many of the pictures above.

We feel strongly that the extra layer of protection afforded by the Darco tape on the edges is beneficial. Obviously, having it fray and look like it does in some of the photos is NOT desirable. We are looking at different tapes and different methods of wrapping the tape to eliminate the fraying causing by the friction. What we are recommending at this point, is to trim the tape flush with the slide floor edge so that you will retain the extra layer of moisture protection and eliminate the excess on the bottom that is fraying. Keep in mind, the edge is sealed and warranted without the tape. It does not have to be there - we just like the added protection.

This type of Pre-Engineered board is likely being used when one of the "L" shaped pieces of plastic molding is applied on the edges of the floor. This was referenced several times in previous posts on this topic. We DO NOT recommend this molding as a cap. It has the potential to dig into your carpet and linoleum.

3) Laminated - Most of our Kitchen slides in all brands are made in-house using laminated construction due to the increased weight loads. With a laminated floor, the bottom exterior layer is a product called FloorBrace. FloorBrace is comprised of multiple layers of cross-weaved polyester fibers designed to breath yet provide moisture protection. Adding the laminated layer of FloorBrace increases the strength of the floor as well. The inner layers of FloorBrace are white. The manufacturer has applied a cosmetic layer of black material on the outside simply because leaving it white makes no sense in any applications in our industry. In order to seal the edges of these laminated floors, we apply Darco tape. Again, this is what can be seen fraying in several of the pictures.

The Darco tape can NOT be totally removed from the edge of a laminated floor (like you can on the Pre Engineered Board) as it provides the primary moisture barrier. However, it can be trimmed back to be flush with the floor edge which will eliminate the fraying aspect.

The wearing of the black top coat on the FloorBrace seems to be the biggest issue outside of the fraying tape. We don't have any conclusive answers on this yet. Samples have been sent to the manufacturer and they are actually flying in to see us this week from Seattle for more conversations. We will keep you updated on what we find.
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #69
Site Team

Thanks Rv Guy for the updated!
I really hope Prime Time comes up with a good solution that will last along time!!
The cross-weaved polyester fibers, Darco tape used in FloorBrace dont seem to like friction.
Maybe a wear strip of some kind to hold up to the friction???
Again Many many thanks Rv Guy for keeping us PT owners updated and for all your work on this matter!!!

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #70

Yes thanks so much for the detailed information and your efforts to find a solution to the wear issue.

Paul
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #71

RV Guy;
We have the tape on the kitchen slide of our Sanibel 3600 bunching and pulling off the bottom of the slide. If I trim off the bunched up tape, will this affect my warranty? We are on a seasonal site and hate to miss the rest of the season because of the time the coach will have to spend at the dealer.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #72
Commercial Member

07 - not a problem to trim off the excess ON THE BOTTOM. Just cut if off so it partially remains wrapped around the edge of the floor.

Thanks for asking.
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #73

Thanks for replying RVGuy! My unit is at the dealer now so I will ask them to provide you with info on my unit and what can be done to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thanks
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #74

Thanks to RV Guy and his team, my issue will be handled when my rig visit the dealer soon. They believe the extreme wear on the slide is likely caused by something rubbing against it, screw head etc. I had no doubt at all that Prime Time would stand up and fix the problem. Yet another reason why I am proud to own a Prime Time Product.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 09-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
07 - not a problem to trim off the excess ON THE BOTTOM. Just cut if off so it partially remains wrapped around the edge of the floor.

Thanks for asking.
The tape is not on the edge. It is 24" in from the edge near the rack gear. There is a second strip by the other rack gear. I don't know why the tape is needed at that area under the floor. Is there a roller there?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 ThunderRoad View Post
The tape is not on the edge. It is 24" in from the edge near the rack gear. There is a second strip by the other rack gear. I don't know why the tape is needed at that area under the floor. Is there a roller there?
Pull back the lower wiper and look to see if you can see a roller? Worth a try.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #77

We have an SP295 surveyor and it has developed this problem. It has been patched with duct tape. Our dealer reccommeded core-plast election signs on the wear areas, fastened with contact cement.
Hope it works.
ThePhilpsinStrathmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #78

Sorry I'm a bit late to this issue, but here's my experience:

Our Surveyor 294 had the same problem. The roller was not properly adjusted and loose causing the entire roller assembly to tilt slightly thereby exposing the assembly's sharp metal edge to the slideout floor and tearing the underside material. Fortunately it was covered under warranty. After checking the warranty work I discovered that they did not tighten the roller adjustment lock nut so I tightened it myself. They just black spray painted the underside and we have not noticed any further issues. Needless to say I check the roller adjustment lock nuts every season.

2010 Surveyor 294
2006 Ford E-350 Van 5.4
surv294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #79

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhilpsinStrathmore View Post
We have an SP295 surveyor and it has developed this problem. It has been patched with duct tape. Our dealer reccommeded core-plast election signs on the wear areas, fastened with contact cement.
Hope it works.
Please keep us posted on how that works. CorrPlast will compress because it is honeycombed and I doubt that contact cement will cause it to stick.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #80

I guess I'm wondering why this isn't an issue on non-Forest River RVs? It's nice to try new methods of construction but does the owner have to be the beta tester? Similarly when Cedar Creek tried using engineered board for the underside of slides and a few years later folks had the edges swelling and wicking water. Sorry to critique but with a manufacturing and engineering background a lot of what occurs in the RV business leaves me wondering... Why?!?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out