Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 ThunderRoad View Post
Here are the pics.
The first pic shows the wiper with small white spots on it. That is the pieces of Darco that have been torn from the slide.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #162

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
It has been several weeks since the last post. Anyone got any new info?

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #163
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
It has been several weeks since the last post. Anyone got any new info?
Mine is stored for the winter so I will have to deal with it again in the spring.
My unit is ready for a new tape job IMO or some wear strips.
I am told my wear is normal by PT. So I guess when it wears threw that will be normal too?!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:43 AM   #164

Checked mine this past weekend. The tape that was put in place after the screw head was removed is holding up well. Very little wear. The kitchen slide also sees a lot of use. We usually open it a few times per trip since our rig is in storage and we open it to pack the fridge before the trips etc.

I put a piece of darco tape along the back edge of the slide since there was some wear on it; although not too severe.

I'll keep a close eye on more wear during our Florida Christmas trip.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #165

Platokidd and all,

Regarding a reinforcement between the slide bottom and the rollers, I thought the following forum post might be of interest:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Bed slide bottom fiberglass cracks

It is about a Redwood part used as a "roller wear strip". The circumstances are different than these, but more info can't hurt.

I am shopping for a new FW and until this problem became known, the Crusader was on my short list. I am now waiting to see how Prime Time addresses what I see as unacceptable construction. I am hopeful they will conclude it is a significant unforeseen problem that needs to be fixed.

I feel for all Prime Time RV owners facing this problem and I am hoping for a good outcome.
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
I wanted to address some aspects of this situation as it certainly is generating a lot of attention.

Essentially, there are three different types of slide floors that we use at Prime Time and all of them are being lumped into the same conversation on this thread.

1) Darco wrapped - This design is primarily used on Crusader and Sanibel sofa/dinette superslides. Basically, we wrap and glue the underside of the wood floor in a breathable, durable fabric that provides protection to the underside of the floor. This material is commonly called Darco. A huge percentage of the industry uses this application. It's lightweight and durable, but does have a tendency to tear and rip. This is a one-piece type of application that will NOT have the tape edges that are fraying in some of the above posts. For our first couple of years, we used Darco wrapped slides on all of our superslide floors, but we have transitioned away from this design in our travel trailers and will eventually transition away from this design on fifth wheels, too.

We do experience warranty claims on this material, but at this point, we don't think the Darco-wrapped floors are showing excessive wear as it pertains to this thread. The claims we receive on Darco are for tears and rips.
I didn't quote the entire comment but am replying to comment #1 above. Perhaps a view of the pictures posted since this comment was made will change the opinion that the Darco-wrapped floors are not showing excessive wear at it pertains to this thread.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
Old 12-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #167

Slideout wear

We bought ours in April took it out several times over the summer Crusader 295 rst in dealer right now for repair of the entertainment/refrigerator slideout for wear on each end of the darco fabric. White strip on each end wondering if PT is going to extend the warranty time for these repairs, the price we pay for these units does not support this being expected wear in this short of time. Had my last unit 7 years with no observable wear. Still wondering about putting .060 thick strip of nylon in the wear zones naturally lubricated shouldn't damage the inside floor.
Clif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #168
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer4 View Post
Platokidd and all,

Regarding a reinforcement between the slide bottom and the rollers, I thought the following forum post might be of interest:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Bed slide bottom fiberglass cracks

It is about a Redwood part used as a "roller wear strip". The circumstances are different than these, but more info can't hurt.

I am shopping for a new FW and until this problem became known, the Crusader was on my short list. I am now waiting to see how Prime Time addresses what I see as unacceptable construction. I am hopeful they will conclude it is a significant unforeseen problem that needs to be fixed.

I feel for all Prime Time RV owners facing this problem and I am hoping for a good outcome.
Good luck shopping for a new 5er!
I stay away from the darco wrap stuff myself unless there was protective strips added. Pt makes a nice unit we love ours! But the darco alone is a cancer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #169

Five months from acknowledging this thread and 4 months without any further comments from RV Guy. If they have any news on repairs, they are not sharing.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
Old 01-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #170

Well I too have now joined the dreaded dario wrap misfortune. Looked under kitchen/ sofa slide today and saw the wearing. Will be calling PT on Monday. I sure hope get are going to help us all on this issue. Oh yea I have a 2013 crusader 325res.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 01-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #171

Please keep us posted with what they say after you contact them.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 PM   #172
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhollar View Post
Well I too have now joined the dreaded dario wrap misfortune. Looked under kitchen/ sofa slide today and saw the wearing. Will be calling PT on Monday. I sure hope get are going to help us all on this issue. Oh yea I have a 2013 crusader 325res.

as if I dont know what it looks like

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #173

Darco issue what it looks like.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1389576599331.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	44861  
Old 01-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #174

Slide wear

I have the same issue with my 2014 Avenger 28BHS, brought it to the dealer, they adjusted the slide and I believe re-taped. But it still looks like it will be a problem have not used it since the "fix". Prime Time needs a fix for this, I'm sure it wont be cheap and thats why we haven't heard anything yet. I will be back to the dealer before the warranty runs out in May.
daga13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #175

Has anyone heard from RVGUY lately? ?? Or anyone from PT??

Old 01-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #176
Site Team

Quote:
Darco issue what it looks like.

I had mine fixed a couple of times now.
Mine looks like that now after several adjustment re-taped and I would say about 30 cycles (in -out)of the slide out.
Prime Time said its normal wear...........So when it wears out that will be normal too!
The folks at PT are great.. Pt makes a real nice unit and we love ours!
BUT PT REALLY BLEW IT WITH THE FLOORBRACE /DARCO WRAP/ DARCO TAPE CRAP!

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #177

Platokidd, so yours looks like mine after they fixed it?? What tape did they use. Thinking of having my buddy who has been in rv business for 20 plus years fix. He's only like 20 minutes away where as the selling dealer is an hour plus.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:09 PM   #178
Site Team

Darco tape / Darco wrap / floorbrace

Thought I would re-post this from the rv guy. Figuring some may not have seen it.

Essentially, there are three different types of slide floors that we use at Prime Time and all of them are being lumped into the same conversation on this thread.

1) Darco wrapped - This design is primarily used on Crusader and Sanibel sofa/dinette superslides. Basically, we wrap and glue the underside of the wood floor in a breathable, durable fabric that provides protection to the underside of the floor. This material is commonly called Darco. A huge percentage of the industry uses this application. It's lightweight and durable, but does have a tendency to tear and rip. This is a one-piece type of application that will NOT have the tape edges that are fraying in some of the above posts. For our first couple of years, we used Darco wrapped slides on all of our superslide floors, but we have transitioned away from this design in our travel trailers and will eventually transition away from this design on fifth wheels, too.

We do experience warranty claims on this material, but at this point, we don't think the Darco-wrapped floors are showing excessive wear as it pertains to this thread. The claims we receive on Darco are for tears and rips.

2) Pre-Engineered Board - Most of our travel trailers use a Pre-Engineered Slide Floor for their sofa/dinette superslides. This is basically a board that we buy pre-cut that already has a sealant applied to the bottom and edges. The benefit to this application is that the applied sealant is much more durable than the Darco and eliminates warranty from tears and rips. Even though this Pre-Engineered Board does have sealant applied to the edges and is fully warranted as it comes to us, we have chosen to apply an extra measure of protection for the edges in the form of Darco tape. This is a product very similar to what is used in application 1 above, but it has an adhesive applied on one side. This tape is what is fraying in many of the pictures above.

We feel strongly that the extra layer of protection afforded by the Darco tape on the edges is beneficial. Obviously, having it fray and look like it does in some of the photos is NOT desirable. We are looking at different tapes and different methods of wrapping the tape to eliminate the fraying causing by the friction. What we are recommending at this point, is to trim the tape flush with the slide floor edge so that you will retain the extra layer of moisture protection and eliminate the excess on the bottom that is fraying. Keep in mind, the edge is sealed and warranted without the tape. It does not have to be there - we just like the added protection.

This type of Pre-Engineered board is likely being used when one of the "L" shaped pieces of plastic molding is applied on the edges of the floor. This was referenced several times in previous posts on this topic. We DO NOT recommend this molding as a cap. It has the potential to dig into your carpet and linoleum.

3) Laminated - Most of our Kitchen slides in all brands are made in-house using laminated construction due to the increased weight loads. With a laminated floor, the bottom exterior layer is a product called FloorBrace. FloorBrace is comprised of multiple layers of cross-weaved polyester fibers designed to breath yet provide moisture protection. Adding the laminated layer of FloorBrace increases the strength of the floor as well. The inner layers of FloorBrace are white. The manufacturer has applied a cosmetic layer of black material on the outside simply because leaving it white makes no sense in any applications in our industry. In order to seal the edges of these laminated floors, we apply Darco tape. Again, this is what can be seen fraying in several of the pictures.

The Darco tape can NOT be totally removed from the edge of a laminated floor (like you can on the Pre Engineered Board) as it provides the primary moisture barrier. However, it can be trimmed back to be flush with the floor edge which will eliminate the fraying aspect.

The wearing of the black top coat on the FloorBrace seems to be the biggest issue outside of the fraying tape. We don't have any conclusive answers on this yet. Samples have been sent to the manufacturer and they are actually flying in to see us this week from Seattle for more conversations. We will keep you updated on what we find.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-12-2014, 10:28 PM   #179
Site Team

Quote:
Platokidd, so yours looks like mine after they fixed it?? What tape did they use. Thinking of having my buddy who has been in rv business for 20 plus years fix. He's only like 20 minutes away where as the selling dealer is an hour plus.

There is a lot info in this thread you might want to spend some time looking it over.
Plastic type wear strips imo that wrap around the corners of the slide looks like a possible fix to me. I think its in the first 20 or so post.
Let us know what your buddy comes up with for a fix.
Carl

Zelda the campin dog
Old 01-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #180

underbelly

Plato, just got done looking at all 18 pages. I too think the black plastic strips are going to be the best "fix". To bad we need to fix a RV in this price range. Thanks for all your information. Ron

Tags
slide, slide out