Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
I, like previously mentioned on here am one of those people who look under every slideout at the shows and dealer lots. I think the darco is the dumbest design I've ever seen, but most of us have it. Mine only had a very small amount of wear on one of the edges on one slide, but, this was brand new on the lot. Having researched this issue for years, and knowing what was going to happen in time, I wouldn't take the unit without the plastic glides installed first. This is the first unit I've had with the darco. Unfortunately nobody that had the solid surface under the slides had a floorplan that would work for our family, so, didn't have much choice.

I'll be home from work in a little over 2 weeks, but will be happy to take some pictures of ours. It would be quite the job, but I have toyed with the idea of removing the darco and putting my own laminate / fiberglass sheeting under the slides. Probably more trouble than it's worth though. Heartland uses a product I like, which is a 1" plywood with a solid surface laminated to the bottom. I can't remember the name of it, but don't know why more manf. haven't used it. It just makes sense.

Thanks John. I haven't read through all the posts in the thread... did you have the dealer install the strips or was it ordered from the factory with the strips installed?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #222
Plain Old Member

Dealer installed after initial PDI. I didn't pick up or pay for the unit until this and a few other things were done. Good dealer though, and no questions asked. Both CC and SB have the same issues as mentioned on this thread.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 PM   #223

So after many months what is Primetime going to do? Has anyone heard anything yet? Doesn't sound like it. I still would like to buy a Crusader once Primetime solves this problem! It still seams to me RV GUY has disappeared lately! Come on solve this problem. Myself and many other future Crusader owners would like a solution to this slide-out wear problem before we order our Crusader!
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #224
William

MB2011, I have a 2012 Crusader that has the darco wrap, but I'm not having any wear issues with it. I've logged over 60 nights with this camper. I wouldn't let this issue dissuade you from purchasing a PT product. We are very satisfied with our unit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
MB2011, I have a 2012 Crusader that has the darco wrap, but I'm not having any wear issues with it. I've logged over 60 nights with this camper. I wouldn't let this issue dissuade you from purchasing a PT product. We are very satisfied with our unit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app

I would have to agree. None on mine either. Don't let it stop you. They make a fantastic rig for the money!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #226

It's just like anything it will not happen to all units depending on how the slide is adjusted. The plastic strips are the answer. All they are tiring to do is stop the edge from weeping water into the floor of the slide. Still nobody has explained to me why they use fabric that will tear to begin with? That would not stop me from buying a PT unit, There has to be a hundred sealers on the market. I have been through 2 plastic strips in 2 years, and it is always the same one. That should tell my dealer something but they just replace it and say it's fine. But at least it's not fabric.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:54 AM   #227
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
It's just like anything it will not happen to all units depending on how the slide is adjusted. The plastic strips are the answer. All they are tiring to do is stop the edge from weeping water into the floor of the slide. Still nobody has explained to me why they use fabric that will tear to begin with? That would not stop me from buying a PT unit, There has to be a hundred sealers on the market. I have been through 2 plastic strips in 2 years, and it is always the same one. That should tell my dealer something but they just replace it and say it's fine. But at least it's not fabric.
Whats happening to your strips? I have to agree your better off not having fabric.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Whats happening to your strips? I have to agree your better off not having fabric.
Well the first one from the factory, they had a bolt head sticking up to high and split it in half and put a 1/4" gouge in the floor on the bottom exposed. The second one they put in they didn't staple or seal the 45 degree edge that turns up at the end of the inside slide floor where the slide drops down to the main floor and seals. The third one now is working fine I made them seal it to the edge. My underside is just painted 3/4" plywood. The real reason for the stip is to protect the outside edge from water seeping into the wood. It would slide perfect in and out without it. That is what puzzles me about the PT units. I'm out of warranty now so if it happens again I will just seal that edge with epoxy to stop any water penetration to the the floors edge. They slide over a 6" piece of neo prime bar that fits in the metal slot across the whole slide so when you bring it in it drops down into it and makes the floor even and stops it from leaking. They never even painted or repaired the gouge because the strips cover them. But it is the only one side of the 2 slides that are in the main area. I have given up on it with them. I will find out in Goshen what is the cause. I guess it protects the edge from water and makes it slide easier when it drops down before you here the clicking and know to stop. Like I said it is worth a try they are cheap. They just used a hand staple gun to install it on the bottom and reinstalled the metal stip sealing the outside wall. It's about only a 1/8" thick. with a 1" going up on the outside edge under the metal stip on the outside. I grew up living the Blackhawks, Stanley cup here we come !!!!! hope this helps, I wouldn't wait they are not going to have a recall that is why they are dragging there feet IMO.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #229

I have a 2012 LaCrosse 318BHS. Is anyone able to post pictures of the area in question? I'm unsure of exactly which area we're talking about, but would like to do a visual inspection to make sure we're GTG. Thanks in advance.
phrogdriver93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #230
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogdriver93 View Post
I have a 2012 LaCrosse 318BHS. Is anyone able to post pictures of the area in question? I'm unsure of exactly which area we're talking about, but would like to do a visual inspection to make sure we're GTG. Thanks in advance.
Look closely at underneath your slide outs with more of a focus on the ends. If you have a plastic weave wrap bottom or darco I would advise you keep a close eye on it.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 03-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #231

So today I took a ride over to the Crusader dealer. I looked under the slide-outs. From what I could see it looked like a black tape on the end edges. It felt like plywood under the tape. I could see it tearing after many opening and closings! Other than that having the Touring Edition package for free it was a nice trailer. I also was informed in my area of the country the free Touring Edition package ended March 1st. I could still order one but I would have to pay for the Touring Package {$5000}. They offered me peanuts on my 2 year old TT. So I'll enjoy my nice TT for another season and if the package comes back next winter like it has for the past 2-3 years I might look into the Crusader again and keep a eye on the slide-out edge situation!.
By the way I looked at a 294RLT and a 295RST. Both of these where delivered to the dealer recently.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #232
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

MB2011, you might want to check with other Prime Time dealers. I think you'll find some Crusaders with the touring package in their inventory's as the terrible winter weather made for very slow sales.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:28 PM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
MB2011, you might want to check with other Prime Time dealers. I think you'll find some Crusaders with the touring package in their inventory's as the terrible winter weather made for very slow sales.
Primetime has always brought back the Touring Package. I like to order
mine from the factory with the options I want. As I looked today I say people and employees walk into the Crusaders with shoes on and walk on the carpets looking into the living room and bedrooms. Its still winter here and the parking lot was not dry! I wonder how many other times people have walked in and out.
This dealer was 20-25 minutes from my house so if I have to bring it back for service I am pretty close! Next closest dealer is 2 hours away.
Like I said maybe they will work on a solution for the slide-outs underneath material. There's just to many people having problems. I will say for the price with the Touring Edition Package it's a nice 5th wheel.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #234

General RV has several Crusader models on their website with the Touring Edition...probably more WITH than without it actually - too bad they deleted the central vac system from it
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
General RV has several Crusader models on their website with the Touring Edition...probably more WITH than without it actually - too bad they deleted the central vac system from it

They had to give up the vac system to pay for the led lights and some other things.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
They had to give up the vac system to pay for the led lights and some other things.

Sad but true....guess I will replace my own light bulbs for LED and will be able to save power while using my central vac since ours had it in the package !!
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post

Thank you for the info heavynlori!
Yes they have lots of the 295RST. I'm in New Hampshire just a little to far for me to travel. And if I paid for delivery I would like to see it before I buy it. Yes I remember when they were putting the central vac in the Touring package!
Old 03-27-2014, 08:54 PM   #238

Currently we have a TT that we love. I have upgraded my truck so I thought I would start looking at 5th wheels. Being retired I have plenty of time to check these rigs out. If I was 30 years younger I would have bought one yesterday. Impulsive buyer back then! Now I go with the flow and when it happens I will grab one. This site has taught me about the many plus's about Crusader's and the very few negative's about the Crusader!
Old 03-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #239

Has anyone had any water issues so far with this?

I have a 2014 Tracer 2670bh.. when I closed it up in October I didn't notice any fraying(yet). but now im worried that this issue is inevitable. my warranty runs out this June and so far its not fraying so really nothing to show my dealer.. According though to RVGUY this was only an extra layer of protection and the wood is waterproof?
how do I know what kind of tape or floor I have on my 2670? he said there is three different kind of floors, what kind does my tracer have? Im just worried now about the longtivity of this camper. I don't want leaking issues down the road and my dealer im sure wont fix this issue if there is no issue to begin with.... but my luck would have it that it starts fraying this summer right after the warranty runs out
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #240
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
I have a 2014 Tracer 2670bh.. when I closed it up in October I didn't notice any fraying(yet). but now im worried that this issue is inevitable. my warranty runs out this June and so far its not fraying so really nothing to show my dealer.. According though to RVGUY this was only an extra layer of protection and the wood is waterproof?
how do I know what kind of tape or floor I have on my 2670? he said there is three different kind of floors, what kind does my tracer have? Im just worried now about the longtivity of this camper. I don't want leaking issues down the road and my dealer im sure wont fix this issue if there is no issue to begin with.... but my luck would have it that it starts fraying this summer right after the warranty runs out
I thinking you will be fine! I had a 2013 2670bhs and it showed no signs of wear in the 8 months I had it. My tracer did not have the darco wrap crap on it. Mine had a wood floor with tape / sealant on the ends if I remember right.
Like anything else keep a eye on it.

Zelda the campin dog

Tags
slide, slide out