Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #361

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2011 View Post
Thanks , I will continue to be a member. I learned the more you read the more you will learn. Good and bad!
The GD units seem awesome and would be top of my list if currently shopping. They do seem to be a bit more $$ and a few less features but fit/finish are top notch and very nice floor plans with reported great customer service. Would be a close call for me (easy to say since my slide wear issue is fixed) between GD and PT. I've had really good response from PT on warranty so overall very happy with what I have - but always mentally shopping even if I'm not.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 08-27-2014, 02:12 PM   #362
Plain Old Member

Last time I looked, Grand Design had Darco under the slides, and no wear strips. So, unless they have changed, they also have the potential for wearing and tearing of the fabric. We're actually looking at SOB as well right now, and regardless of how they are done, I will be adding the wear strips, or glides as we call them.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:30 PM   #363

The GD reflections I've seen have a hard black plastic material on slide bottom.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #364
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrv View Post
The GD reflections I've seen have a hard black plastic material on slide bottom.

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Me too! Seen them at the rv show last Feb. in Chi town..

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #365

Quote:
The GD reflections I've seen have a hard black plastic material on slide bottom

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Yes I agree with you. That was the first thing I looked at when I went to go check out the Reflections. If it had the same slide underneath material as the Crusaders I would of walked away. If I remember right where the outside slide out wall meets the underneath Primetime uses a tape on the edge. I remember pushing in on the tape material and thought I felt plywood. Maybe that's what they call Darco tape. Following this posting over the last year I have learned a lot on the material being use on the underneath of slide-outs. Thank you to everyone who have written valuable information.
mb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Last time I looked, Grand Design had Darco under the slides, and no wear strips. So, unless they have changed, they also have the potential for wearing and tearing of the fabric. We're actually looking at SOB as well right now, and regardless of how they are done, I will be adding the wear strips, or glides as we call them.
SOB?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #367
Plain Old Member

Ah hah, then they have changed, which is a good thing. Earlier on when they first came on the market, I don't think they had it. I remember fussing a couple of years ago about that, or whenever they came out with them. Then again, I've looked at 100's of RVs this year, so I may be thinking of another one. Big thing to look at, no matter what brand. It's one of the first things I look at.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #368
Plain Old Member

Some Other Brand, as in not Forest River. Sorry about that.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #369

Quote:
Some Other Brand, as in not Forest River. Sorry about that.
Thanks I get it now!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #370

Our 2014 prime time crusader 295rst, has been at general RV since August 1st, waiting for forest river to send them the "slide out repair kit", they say. Dealer does not know what parts the kit consists of. Also, the service rep told me he'd never even heard of the slide out wear issue on crusaders?! I asked if he was new, he said he's been there 7 years. I find all of it really hard to believe.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #371
Plain Old Member

Probably / hopefully the wear strips / glides. The wear strips are pretty generic. Most of the slide floors have the same angle wedge, so it's just a matter of getting the right length, which can be trimmed anyway. Majestic Formed Plastics is what we have, which you can get directly from them, and I'm not sure what Rockwood uses, but it's similar, just doesn't extend under the slide as far. Either one would work. Might have to take matters into your own hands, or make kind suggestions on what and where to get, if the dealer keeps playing dumb.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksilvi View Post
Our 2014 prime time crusader 295rst, has been at general RV since August 1st, waiting for forest river to send them the "slide out repair kit", they say. Dealer does not know what parts the kit consists of. Also, the service rep told me he'd never even heard of the slide out wear issue on crusaders?! I asked if he was new, he said he's been there 7 years. I find all of it really hard to believe.
You are right to be skeptical. When I spoke to the tech who repaired mine (up here in bugfart nowheresville) he was VERY familiar with the issue across many brands and products. He knew exactly what to do and the parts needed. Salesmen=must feed family so say anything and move on. It really is too bad the slide bottom wear is a deal breaker for some because it really is a simple fix and the PT units are very solid otherwise.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #373
Site Team

Quote:
It really is too bad the slide bottom wear is a deal breaker for some because it really is a simple fix and the PT units are very solid otherwise.
X2! I agree 100% I cant think of a better tt myself for us.
We love our lacrosse and its made better then most units I see out there. (using rv qc curve of course)
That said, NEVER will I buy a unit again with darco wrap crap on the under-slide!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #374

For what it's worth the wear on mine has not gotten any worse in over 6 months. My 295 was sent back to Indiana for many issues, and slide wear/alignment was one of them. After having the slides properly aligned the wear seems to be all but stopped. Sure it is wearing a little, but not too much.

DEFINITELY a design flaw by PT, but they are not alone in this design. Wear strips I feel are the way to go to fix it long term, but for now I am leaving mine as is.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #375

After reading this thread from the start, I went and checked our 2014 Crusader 335BHS.

The front slide does not have the Draco cloth, but the main slide and BH slide do. We have had this unit since July and so far, no indications of wear.

Something I will keep an eye on for sure.
2011 F250 Lariat
NewB2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
X2! I agree 100% I cant think of a better tt myself for us.
We love our lacrosse and its made better then most units I see out there. (using rv qc curve of course)
That said, NEVER will I buy a unit again with darco wrap crap on the under-slide!
I know the reason for the Darco wrap. But with all the water proof products out there to protect any moisture why would they still use that. To me it's like a train wreck waiting to happen. Maybe they just don't want a recall. They know it, you as a owner know it, and still they refuse to deal with it. What is so surprising is the PT reputation is taking a hit. Why for such a cheap fix......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #377

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
If they would fess up and provide a repair kit I think most people would be happy and install it themselves.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #378

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Although the OP did not provide many details of what is broke I know that having a dealer not wanting to repair warranty items is pretty common. I found the following post interesting from another forum:

We purchased a sanibel 2014 fifth wheel in Dec of 2013. One of the reasons it got our attention was the 2-year warranty. But no one told us we couldn't buy it at one dealership & NOT get it repaired at another dealership! This sanibel has major issues along with small issues. We purchased the rig 300 miles away from our home as the local dealership did not have what we wanted at the time. Now we took the rig to our local dealership for warranty work......they have had the rig a total of 115 days, we have had it in our possession 138 days. It just sits at the dealership until we request it back, we get it back with damage done to it, scratched counter tops, chips, gouges in paneling, but no repairs have been done! I have called the sanibel manufacturer in indiana & talked to Roger Stickel. He said: "we don't force any dealership to work on another dealerships rigs!" Are we up a creek here.....or is it lawyer time??? I would NOT reccommend anyone buy a sanibel!! They have w-a-y to many issues!!! Or did I get a lemon??

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #379

that is a sad state of affairs right there. I would not be happy at all. Might have to get the rig back and take it back to the place you bought it from.

I dont understand not working on it..if it is covered by the manufacturer, aren't they going to get paid for working on it?
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:48 AM   #380

Quote:
Probably / hopefully the wear strips / glides. The wear strips are pretty generic. Most of the slide floors have the same angle wedge, so it's just a matter of getting the right length, which can be trimmed anyway. Majestic Formed Plastics is what we have, which you can get directly from them, and I'm not sure what Rockwood uses, but it's similar, just doesn't extend under the slide as far. Either one would work. Might have to take matters into your own hands, or make kind suggestions on what and where to get, if the dealer keeps playing dumb.
I have just ordered 2 sets of wear strips from the factory parts dept for Rockwood. Mine split again but on the other-side of the slide this time. This is the third one that broke. 2 they did in warranty. The Woman I talked to new exactly what I was talking about and said she would send them out to me. I will be using doubled sided foam tape this time. I think that the staples they used to hold them on pull through and then it cracks. I also think that the slide is to heavy with the stove, refer and couch on it. Nothing I can do about that but I hope the double stick foam tape is better. Put it on the old one that cracked and rolled it in and out a few times and it is holding well. What the surprise was that she knew exactly what I was talking about and said yes we know of the problem but still charged me $46.00 for 2 sets.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out