Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 02:59 AM   #381

I have a similar problem with my Flagstaff slideouts, Australian roads are very rough and the slideouts plastic protectors crack and wear quickly, i replaces the plastic cover strips with Aluminum it worked but it dented with movement and left dark marks on the carpets inside, I have now replaced them with stainless steel professionally bent and holes bored these are holding up well and are wearing with no marks on carpets.Hopefully that is the answer
Trevor Williamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:49 AM   #382
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have just ordered 2 sets of wear strips from the factory parts dept for Rockwood. Mine split again but on the other-side of the slide this time. This is the third one that broke. 2 they did in warranty. The Woman I talked to new exactly what I was talking about and said she would send them out to me. I will be using doubled sided foam tape this time. I think that the staples they used to hold them on pull through and then it cracks. I also think that the slide is to heavy with the stove, refer and couch on it. Nothing I can do about that but I hope the double stick foam tape is better. Put it on the old one that cracked and rolled it in and out a few times and it is holding well. What the surprise was that she knew exactly what I was talking about and said yes we know of the problem but still charged me $46.00 for 2 sets.
How long do you get out of a set before they split? Look into getting a tougher set of strips. I know from looking at the show's, rockwood uses cheap thin flimsy plastic strips. My strips are pretty beefy.
As far as the double sided tape goes, one of mine lost its grip on half of the strip. I used the underbelly tape that the dealer gave me to tape the darco wrap to hold the wear strip on for now.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:42 AM   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
How long do you get out of a set before they split? Look into getting a tougher set of strips. I know from looking at the show's, rockwood uses cheap thin flimsy plastic strips. My strips are pretty beefy.
As far as the double sided tape goes, one of mine lost its grip on half of the strip. I used the underbelly tape that the dealer gave me to tape the darco wrap to hold the wear strip on for now.
I noticed mine soon after a 3000 mile trip just after we bought it probably 6 months, i think that the product is to light for the weight that the slide outs hold, if you hit a large hole in the road the suspension bottoms out and the slideout bounces on the strip and squashes it i imagine the excessive cold in your country would also harden the plastic and it will break easier. i have a small slide out as well and it has rollers no plastic wear strips maybe that is an option
Old 09-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #384

Quote:
Come to think about it, I find it about this time of year, like when the weather starts to change. This last one cracked at the 90 degree first then a center section about 3" was just missing. I checked all over to find those strips you are talking about, couldn't find them checked eplastics but maybe I didn 't know what to look for. For sure they are garbage. Can you give me some info on them or your post # if you posted it? Did they come with the 45 degree at the end? I think the staples didn't help either. But it always seems that the 90 degree edge rips first. It is such a clean cut you would think it was done with a box cutter. Any info would be helpful...Thanks

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Williamson View Post
I have a similar problem with my Flagstaff slideouts, Australian roads are very rough and the slideouts plastic protectors crack and wear quickly, i replaces the plastic cover strips with Aluminum it worked but it dented with movement and left dark marks on the carpets inside, I have now replaced them with stainless steel professionally bent and holes bored these are holding up well and are wearing with no marks on carpets.Hopefully that is the answer
When I get the plastic ones from FR. I have found a fabricator today, that can make them in stainless steel for me. I figure I will take it down and get a price, I'm tired of this problem. What is the thickness that you had them made? I figure if they bore some wholes with a bored whole to keep screw flat, I may never have to replace them again. On mine you can see the neoprene bar showing flakes that something is catching it and it's probably the staples. I could see Aluminum would discolor your rug. Stainless would work for that. I still think that one slide is just to heavy.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #386

Yes i had holes drilled in the underside and used flat screws to secure, i had the fabricator tig weld the stainless to keep the end at 45 degrees to allow the slide to move up over the carpet inside. The thickness i used was 3/64 inch ( or 1.2 millimeters).
The modification certainly has worked for me, good luck mate

got pics??
Old 09-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #387
Site Team

Quote:
Come to think about it, I find it about this time of year, like when the weather starts to change. This last one cracked at the 90 degree first then a center section about 3" was just missing. I checked all over to find those strips you are talking about, couldn't find them checked eplastics but maybe I didn 't know what to look for. For sure they are garbage. Can you give me some info on them or your post # if you posted it? Did they come with the 45 degree at the end? I think the staples didn't help either. But it always seems that the 90 degree edge rips first. It is such a clean cut you would think it was done with a box cutter. Any info would be helpful...Thanks
Im gonna have to look thru my info. I did share it here at one time.
Not sure what your talking about with a 45 deg ends. (mine don't have them).
Not sure I go with aluminum or stainless on mine.
Mine are holding up good so far other then the doublesided tape on one giving way (3" section)
I do like this idea posted before:
Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) Polyethylene
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post626416

Zelda the campin dog
Old 09-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #388
Site Team

Quote:
Post 328 has the numbers from my strips. Note 2 different numbers but the strips look exactly the same.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post628556

Zelda the campin dog
Old 10-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #389

Is this happening mostly on Prime Time units or on all FR products?
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #390

Anything using Darco and many do or used to

2014 295rst champ te
2009 2500hd GMC d/a
Old 10-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #391
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacin View Post
Is this happening mostly on Prime Time units or on all FR products?
I understand it's happening on other brands as well.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #392

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Anyone have any new information from Forest River?

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Anyone have any new information from Forest River?
Yes I ordered 4 new strips from FR for my unit. The only difference is that they came with a piece of double sided tape. Now they will not staple through the plastic that is causing them to break including the weight. I came to that by only my one slide breaking every year or less. You can see where the staples are being dragged across the neoprene bar. I have now had 4 new stainless steel strips fabricated. They do not not need screws or anything on the bottom. The sides and rear hold them solid. I will pick the unit up Friday they are done with both slides. This will end my problem. But being out of warranty, the cost to install them is like 180.00 a side for the plastic everytime. I have replaced 5 strips in 3 years. They crack at the 90 degree first then they start to tear your strip up which in turn will tear your seals up. BIG MONEY THEN. The biggest problem then is that water will penetrate that edge without you knowing it then your replacing the slide floor. I will post pictures after I get it back of them installed on the slide. I will also have two sets of the new plastic ones for sale that I got (bought) from FR and made the pattern.... The cut on the side is so clean it looks like someone cut it with a box cutter. The only way to tell is to check each with your hand.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:58 PM   #394
Plain Old Member

Can you post some pictures of the stainless ones? I had one crack and replaced as well before we put it up for sale. Looks like the stainless is the best option.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:06 AM   #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Can you post some pictures of the stainless ones? I had one crack and replaced as well before we put it up for sale. Looks like the stainless is the best option.
Yes no problem, they said it will be done today. Service Manager told me they work well. We will see. You know I remember that I didn't almost buy that unit once I seen the weight on that slide. But was assured by the salesman that there was no problem. I guess live and learn, but it's been a thorn in my side since day one. Other then that and the tires the unit has been great.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:34 PM   #396

Here are some pictures if I can load them. They work great with no screws or staples holding them on the bottom only the side. If I would have to due it over I think I would have went with 18ga and 16 ga. But both slides are now done and the problem is over.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stainless Steel Side guides 002.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	64878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stainless Steel Side guides 001.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	64879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stainless Steel Side guides 003.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	64880  

Old 10-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #397
Site Team

Looks good! Do keep us posted as how it holds up or of any issues :-D

Zelda the campin dog
Old 10-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #398

Quote:
Looks good! Do keep us posted as how it holds up or of any issues :-D
Yes I will if anyone needs the Majestic Plastic I have 4 for sale I got them from FR cost 46.00 plus shipping. 2 left and 2 right. Might help someone out.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #399
Plain Old Member

What gauge stainless are they? Too bad somebody doesn't start manufacturing those. OC?
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #400

Hey Guys i like the idea of no screws on the bottom i have one side to replace ill try that, i used 1.5 mil which i believe is between 16 and 20 gauge, the first ones i used are functioning well, maybe a thin film of silicone along the bottom leading edge would stop moisture getting behind the bottom strip, although i figured that the slide outs are in during travel so no water can get in.
Thanks for the different ideas good luck and safe travels.

Tags
slide, slide out