Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #521
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
I heard from my dealer yesterday and the news was, well frustrating. They told me that they could not install the slide kit on the curb side slide because it differed from the road side slide. They said that since it tips when it retracts that if they installed the slide kit it would dig into my floor and damage it. They then said they re-taped the slide bottom.

Of course I explained this would not work. The tape would fray and eat itself in no time. My dealer of course agreed with me, but they said they could not damage the floor by installing the slide kit. Their hands are tied.

I then reached back out to PT and was told that there is no reason why the slide bottom should fray unless there is something rubbing, like a screw head. This just ticked me off and I made it 100% clear to them that they obviously knew this was an issue and I check each new Crusader on the lot at my dealer and every single one of them was experiencing the same wear. No answer from PT since. We will see.
HORSE HOCKEY Im no stranger to your Crusader as we have looked at your model several times.
Your Crusader is NOT much different then my Lacrosse! Except the 5th wheel vs a TT.
My slide on the curb side is the kitchen slide with lino and carpet in the rear, lets call it 50/50.
I dont need to, but I do put a small piece of a lino sample I got from Menards down over the lino flooring and use the slide slickers in the rear. My slide tips when it comes in and just kisses the lino sample from Menards. I had my strips on for a year without any damage to my unit. The carpet in pic 3 is just a thro rug, thats lino flooring under the slide.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130726_191206_804.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	74979

Name:	IMG_20130726_191157_567.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	74980

Name:	IMG_20140601_104220_805.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	74981

Look at my pics and compare it to your Crusader. Am I missing something here??

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 07:04 PM   #522

Platokidd I have sent along the pictures to my dealer, I will see what they say.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:06 AM   #523

Quote:
I heard from my dealer yesterday and the news was, well frustrating. They told me that they could not install the slide kit on the curb side slide because it differed from the road side slide. They said that since it tips when it retracts that if they installed the slide kit it would dig into my floor and damage it. They then said they re-taped the slide bottom.

Of course I explained this would not work. The tape would fray and eat itself in no time. My dealer of course agreed with me, but they said they could not damage the floor by installing the slide kit. Their hands are tied.

I then reached back out to PT and was told that there is no reason why the slide bottom should fray unless there is something rubbing, like a screw head. This just ticked me off and I made it 100% clear to them that they obviously knew this was an issue and I check each new Crusader on the lot at my dealer and every single one of them was experiencing the same wear. No answer from PT since. We will see.
I've also personally reached out to Rick @ PrimeTime and got a similar response. I was very specific about this thread and the obvious root cause of this problem -the hard rubbing on the wear strip and subsequent tearing of the darco, most typically at the high load areas on the edges of the room slides. Ricks response suspected burrs on the wear bar and insisted that a dealer do an analysis. This will not happen, I (we) all know what the issue is and the solution is in hand.
The ignorance of this apparently widespread design flaw by FR is beyond comprehension.

My fix is working well, but I'm entertaining installing the OE kit myself if I can get my hands on it. I like the 'wrap around' feature of the kit strips which also help support the floor on the ends. I would just order a couple of kits from the dealer.
Can anyone tell me what the kit p/n is for this repair? The kit for the deepest slide rooms would be most useful, like for my atrium slide. This can easily be trimmed to fit the shorter rooms.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #524
Mod free 5er

Why not just go to a sheet metal shop and have them made out of 0.075" or 0.090" alum and install them yourselves?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #525

My dealer did say that they would attempt the install today on the curb side slide. I am scheduled to pick up the rig tonight. We will see.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 04-23-2015, 10:55 AM   #526
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
I've also personally reached out to Rick @ PrimeTime and got a similar response. I was very specific about this thread and the obvious root cause of this problem -the hard rubbing on the wear strip and subsequent tearing of the darco, most typically at the high load areas on the edges of the room slides. Ricks response suspected burrs on the wear bar and insisted that a dealer do an analysis. This will not happen, I (we) all know what the issue is and the solution is in hand.
The ignorance of this apparently widespread design flaw by FR is beyond comprehension.

My fix is working well, but I'm entertaining installing the OE kit myself if I can get my hands on it. I like the 'wrap around' feature of the kit strips which also help support the floor on the ends. I would just order a couple of kits from the dealer.
Can anyone tell me what the kit p/n is for this repair? The kit for the deepest slide rooms would be most useful, like for my atrium slide. This can easily be trimmed to fit the shorter rooms.

primetime # 10f16032a
Rick has always been helpful and great to work with.
I can say my wear strips are holding up good so far and Im pleased with the fix. The double sided 3m tape on one starting giving way last fall. I just happen to have a roll of underbelly tape on hand and taped the spot up.
Operating these slide of poor design , create friction opening n closing, somethings gotta give and its the darco wrapcrap on the bottom of the slides that just cant handle the movement. The weak link to such a nice unit.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 04-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #527

Does anyone know the dimensions of these plates or are they all different?
lil2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #528

I have heard back from my dealer and they have installed the slide kit on the curb side slide and they say it is fine. Thanks for your post Platokidd, it really helped me convince the dealer to handle the work. I appreciate it.

I pick it up in a few hours.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 04-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #529
Site Team

Thumbs up Awsum

Quote:
I have heard back from my dealer and they have installed the slide kit on the curb side slide and they say it is fine. Thanks for your post Platokidd, it really helped me convince the dealer to handle the work. I appreciate it.

I pick it up in a few hours.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 04-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #530

Picked up my rig and I am very pleased. Both slide kits are now installed. I am going to continue to use my homemade 'slide slickers' on the curb side slide to help protect the carpet and lino. The dealer did a fine job installing the second slide kit. Personally I think a third one right in the middle of the slide at some point might be a good idea just to help the slide from wanting to bow in the center. I may look into this but for now I believe this issue is dealt with. PT should be doing this free of charge to anyone experiencing this issue IMHO, but I am guessing they are just using the scream test.

All in all the effort required to get it handled was not all that bad and I am lucky enough to live within 2 miles of my selling dealer.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 04-23-2015, 07:22 PM   #531
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil2low View Post
Does anyone know the dimensions of these plates or are they all different?
there plenty long enough and you will have to cut them to length. I think the 90 on the side is about 1 inch or so and its about 6 inches or so wide on the bottom. Sorry dont have my camper with me to look.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 04-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #532
Site Team

another_newfie, Did they install the strips under the trim piece (as in my prior pic)or over it on the side of the slide? (the way they did your road side strips)
I do think they installed your roadside strips wrong.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 AM   #533

On the curb side they are installed right up against the trim piece. I have to run a bead of chaulk along each of them to prevent any water from getting under the slide kits.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 04-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #534

I picked up my rig last week and used it over the weekend. The slide kit on the curb side slide worked perfectly. I am very happy with the install. I will have to run a bead of caulk down the top of one set of the slide kits as they were installed over top of the trim.

I still believe PT should be doing this free of charge for anyone with this issue and if they do not re-design the slide mechanism at a minimum every unit leaving the line should have these.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
Old 04-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #535

Quote:
I picked up my rig last week and used it over the weekend. The slide kit on the curb side slide worked perfectly. I am very happy with the install. I will have to run a bead of caulk down the top of one set of the slide kits as they were installed over top of the trim.

I still believe PT should be doing this free of charge for anyone with this issue and if they do not re-design the slide mechanism at a minimum every unit leaving the line should have these.

I completely agree! It's a FLAWED design and should have either been a recall or all units repaired with no charge to the owner. Why should an owner have to pay for a faulty design.

2014 Crusader 295rst
2014 F150 Fx4
Old 06-04-2015, 09:59 PM   #536
Site Team

Thought this info in another thread could help someone here.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post883233

Zelda the campin dog
Old 06-15-2015, 03:48 PM   #537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post

I posted this under slide outs without any feedback from anyone.
So I thought I would post it here.
This is the underneath side of my fridge / tv slide out on our 2014 Lacrosse 323rst.
Anybody else see a slide wear like this?
Looking for info and help with this. Dealer puts more tape on it and adjust it but that is wearing too. They have also changed the small corner wipers.
Prime time is unresponsive to the pictures I sent that they have asked for!
Under that black layer of plastic fabric is a white layer of more plastic , thin boarding looks like cardboard and then Styrofoam.
The tape they have put on is now wearing too.
Prime time needs a wear strip or use Masonite down there. My neighbor has the same unit and his underside looks like crap compared to mine.
Looking to fix this before it becomes a bigger problem.
Carl
I have a 2014 Sanibel 3551 and it's doing the same thing wearing under the fridge. i have had it back to the dealer 3 times and still having issues with it. i emailed Primetime and they told me the slide is out of adjustment. OK so why can't the dealer adjust it right the first time? so they sent me other dealers to take it. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper.
cemetery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:55 PM   #538

Hi all, Knock on wood after two years mine is still fine, but this is not a brand specific problem, A seasonal camper I know just got a new 2015 Keystone Avalanche that is doing the same thing on the slide edges(down to the wood) and I'm sure the slide hasn't been opened and closed two dozen times. I see a lot of the same crap on a lot of brands and I'm real surprised we don't hear more about this!!.
I will be adding the strips to mine in the near future just as a pro-caution and too keep the water off the bottom edge.

Keepaeyeonit
2019-41/2020-lots planned
2017-51/2018-55
2015-57/2016-52
keepaeyeonit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:59 PM   #539
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemetery View Post
I have a 2014 Sanibel 3551 and it's doing the same thing wearing under the fridge. i have had it back to the dealer 3 times and still having issues with it. i emailed Primetime and they told me the slide is out of adjustment. OK so why can't the dealer adjust it right the first time? so they sent me other dealers to take it. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper.
I lost count how many times my slide was adjusted. Here is the
wear strip info , Prime Time # 10F16032A.

Here is what they look like
Try this contact:
Lacrosse, Tracer, Crusader,
Sanibel, Avenger
Rick Koelndorfer (Svc/Warr
Asst) rkoelndorfer@forestriverinc.com (574) 862-3053

Zelda the campin dog
Old 06-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #540

Platokidd,

Sorry for being off topic but Lets Go Hawks!!!!!
rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out