Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 AM   #11

Just something else to consider...
We run a 16K slider, and I am glad we went with the slider option. While it's true that I have made many tight turns with the Crusader 290 in tow position, I like to switch to maneuvering position not only for really tight turns, but also to get into some State Parks that have deep and/or high "bumps" and "dips" in the road.
When the slide is back, I have about an estimated extra 1.5" clearance from the back corners of my truck box to the underside of the 5th wheel overhang...
In other words, pulling into some spots is not just a matter of turning radius...
Here at the farm, the entrance to our drive involves about a 3 foot hump above the roadway with a 90 degree turn. My rig clears this hurdle with about an inch to spare between the bed corners and the overhang in maneuvering position. I wouldn't want to try it in tow position!
Just my $0.02 Turning radius isn't all you have to consider.

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 18,950 Nights camped 192
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
William

I have a Crusader 320RLT and a F250 short bed with no slider. No issues turning. Like Ragin Cajun stated, just need to pay attention turning tight turns with on an uneven surface. To date, I haven't had any issues.

2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #13

Thanks for all the info! Sounds like a slider isn't really necessary for turns on relatively flat ground, but on tight turns with uneven terrain the front cap can get pretty close to the rear of cab - am I understanding this correctly?

Another related question - my wife has 'talked' me into either a Crusader 355BHQ, Crusader 360BHS, or Sandpiper 365SAQ - these are all right around 40 feet. Having never towed a 5er, I'm trying to imagine towing one of these monsters into my subdivision and attempting a couple of 90 degree turns to get to the house. Does towing a longer camper factor into the decision of needing a slider?

Cheers!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #14

Crusader
I have a 2011 f 250 diesel short bed. I tow a 2013 365 saq. I loaded up my truck with wood and then hooked up my 5er. I brought it home and made a 90 degree down hill backi g turn into my driveway. I do it all the time. There was no problem and plenty of room. I have the Reese 16k slider and never use it. This truck and trailer comb is awesome you forget it's behind you. If you are concerned about it just pay the extra for the slider. You wi want to put some Firestone 5 k airbags on the truck. They make a huge difference.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
Crusader
I have a 2011 f 250 diesel short bed. I tow a 2013 365 saq. I loaded up my truck with wood and then hooked up my 5er. I brought it home and made a 90 degree down hill backi g turn into my driveway. I do it all the time. There was no problem and plenty of room. I have the Reese 16k slider and never use it. This truck and trailer comb is awesome you forget it's behind you. If you are concerned about it just pay the extra for the slider. You wi want to put some Firestone 5 k airbags on the truck. They make a huge difference.
X2 on the air bags! (The install is reasonably easy!)

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 18,950 Nights camped 192
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #16

Tiggerdad, I was wondering how your Chevy handles pulling the 330 mks? I just bought one and haven't purchase a pickup yet. Thanks for any helpful information you may provide me.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
Crusader
Chiro, The time has come. I turned in my leased f150 super crew ( 5.5 bed ) for a f150 FX4 super cab ( 6.6 bed ). Looking at a Reese 15k stationary Pro hitch. My Pullrite superglide 12k hitch will not work in the new truck.( I hated the hitch anyway ). I talked to a small RV dealer. He said that Iíll have no problems with the Reese stationary. He has been Rving with the same truck bed ( 6.6 ) and has had no problems
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #18

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhntr4evr View Post
Tiggerdad, I was wondering how your Chevy handles pulling the 330 mks? I just bought one and haven't purchase a pickup yet. Thanks for any helpful information you may provide me.
Tows the 330MKS just fine. I am my GCVR 9200# but well under my axle rating. I get an additional .5-.6 mpg over my previous rig. Just the wife and I and we do not run with anything in the bed of the truck. I am very careful about carrying excess weight. Maximum of one nights waste in the tanks and just enough fresh water to flush toilets.

The axle weight of the rig is 8640 and a pin weight of about 2400 #. We put a lot of miles on our rig, did over 10,000 miles last year. In Sept./Oct. we did a 5 weeks 3600 mile trip without any issues except one. Guy cut me off in Tennessee and I locked up the trailer brakes to avoid him. He was so close that I could read the time on his dash. I run my trailer brakes very tight and that is probably what prevented a wreck.

I wouldn't tow any heavier than I am now and when I get another truck, I believe it will be a 1 Ton SRW. Be sure to get the second AC.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
Steve & Phyllis

We pull a 315re with a shortbed 2012 F250 and have made many tight turns at a parking lot to see how far we can go. I don't think we will ever need to use our Reese 16k slide for turns but when making my decision I remember my wife asking how much would I pay for one when we are stuck somewhere and do need it. The peace of mind was worth the extra grand. And I never thought about humps and bumps when backing in till I read these threads. Thanks for letting me know to watch for them.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #20

what do the Firestone airbags do for you?

Tags
bed