Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #21

Hockey Dad,
I have a 2008 F-250 CC pulling a 298 BHD with a B&W hitch, and haven’t hit the cab yet. That B&W set up is nice, and doesn’t make a mess of your bed with rails. The only thing you have to be careful of is when you connect to the pin. With the tail gate down, it really comes close, you have to hit the pin pretty much straight on. If not, I think you gate will hit the trailer.
Advise pulling a 5th wheels for the first time, Be aware of the tail of a trailer that long is going to swing, so give your self PLEANTY of room when taking turns, and give yourself some extra time before taking a 90 degree leaving a site. The reason why is, it not like a big rig trailer that has the axles positioned at the end of the trailer. Your trailer will have the axles mounted in the middle of the trailer, leaving tail to swing.
Just be careful, and take it slow, and you will be fine.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #22

For what its worth, we tow a Crusader 295RST hitched with a B&W 16K Patriot to our F250 CC short bed. No problems. None...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #23

I am pulling a 298BHD with a GMC 3/4 ton cc, 6'6" bed. I have the B&W with the ball centered over the rear axle. The companion for the turnover ball has 3 settings for height and 3 settings for front/rear. I have mine set at mid height and front most adjustment. I have pulled many places including forest service roads in the Bighorn mountains and the only issue i have had is the bed rails getting close to the camper. Family guy is right the tailgate comes pretty close to the camper when hitching with it down.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #24

OP here, I see my thread came back.... UPDATE: we ended up buying the Crusader 335BHS and I installed a Superglide 15k ISR w/ a custom install kit from Etrailer. Installing the rails was pretty simple - just drilling those holes in the truck was a bit . I've only pulled the Crusader once, about 10 miles from the dealer to the storage lot - but, it pulled great and knowing I didn't have to worry about taking out the back window with a tight turn was nice. In fact, the first turn getting it out of the dealer's lot was close to 90 degrees! Anyway, glad I spent the $$ on the Superglide and love the 335BHS! Now, if spring EVER gets here - looking forward to actually using it!

Thanks for all the input! Cheers!
hockey dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
For what its worth, we tow a Crusader 295RST hitched with a B&W 16K Patriot to our F250 CC short bed. No problems. None...
Hi Scratch. Mike here. You may remember we purchased a 295RST last week. I looked at an F250 8 foot bed on Monday and decided against it as it just seemed too big. Hopefully I will find the right 6 foot bed this weekend. My question is your B&W 16K. I cant tell if that is stationery or a slider?
mdalb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdalb20 View Post
Hi Scratch. Mike here. You may remember we purchased a 295RST last week. I looked at an F250 8 foot bed on Monday and decided against it as it just seemed too big. Hopefully I will find the right 6 foot bed this weekend. My question is your B&W 16K. I cant tell if that is stationery or a slider?
My B&W is stationary. No turning difficulties.

The only issues are that:

1. The truck tailgate, when down, comes within 3" or so of the unit. I pay close attention to backing in straight as I can. Doesn't really bother me any...

2. We can't raise the forward bay door all the way when hitched. (I can still use it; just can't latch it fully up). I would imagine with a slider, that might not be an issue...

Looking forward to some pictures!
'14 nights camped:
Old 04-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #27

Quote:

My B&W is stationary. No turning difficulties.

The only issues are that:

1. The truck tailgate, when down, comes within 3" or so of the unit. I pay close attention to backing in straight as I can. Doesn't really bother me any...

2. We can't raise the forward bay door all the way when hitched. (I can still use it; just can't latch it fully up). I would imagine with a slider, that might not be an issue...

Looking forward to some pictures!
This is great info. Thank. I will post pics soon!
Old 04-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #28

Just picked up our new crusader 360 and we have a pull rite superglide. It was very easy to tow. I would recommend the slider. Never even had to think about it being back there. My tow vehicle is a 2012 GMC 2500 HD crew cab w duramax and Allison transmission
cthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #29

Just purchased a new 2012 Ford F250 XLT short bed with integrated brake controller for our NEW 295RST. Now, on to deciding on a hitch. I really appreciate reading all your comments above. I installed a small hitch on a Jeep Wrangler a few years ago but not sure I want to take the chance with this. I have dealt with our RV dealer for some time now and unless he really kills me on the price I will have them install it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	250295.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	27280  
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #30

Getting excited! We pick up our 295RST Champagne a week from this Saturday. We will drop off our F250 short bed at the dealer on Tuesday to have the Pull Rite Slider installed. We will be moving it up to our seasonal site in Sussex County NJ on that Saturday and we plan a 10 day trip this summer to the Berkshires, The New Hampshire White Mountains, the Baseball Hall Of fame on the way back. Can't wait
295RST Champagne Edition
F250 4 door short bed
Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Hi ScratchHope you are enjoying your 295. I got a call from my RV dealer saying they installed the pull rite hitch but the rig is sagging when hooked up. I have the short bed. Did you have that issue? They say they can have leafs installed but I hear it can make for a rough ride when not hitched up. Air Bags seem the way to go. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:28 AM   #32

Quote:
Hi ScratchHope you are enjoying your 295. I got a call from my RV dealer saying they installed the pull rite hitch but the rig is sagging when hooked up. I have the short bed. Did you have that issue? They say they can have leafs installed but I hear it can make for a rough ride when not hitched up. Air Bags seem the way to go. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
How old is your F250? There is no way the very light pin weight (1278 lbs.) of the 295 RST should cause your truck to sag to the point that it needs airbags. Either you have a very old truck with a weak or broken suspension or your dealer is trying to rip you off. My bet is the dealer is trying to rip you off. Just saying.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

How old is your F250? There is no way the very light pin weight (1278 lbs.) of the 295 RST should cause your truck to sag to the point that it needs airbags. Either you have a very old truck with a weak or broken suspension or your dealer is trying to rip you off. My bet is the dealer is trying to rip you off. Just saying.
Thanks! I just bought it. 2012. 4 wheel drive. Gasser. I thought the same thing. I really appreciate the tip. They left me the message on my answer machine at home when I specifically left my cell number. I am calling them today and will post what happened.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Howdy;
We really do enjoy the 295RST. Our current setup is very comfortable. Of four rigs we've owned, this combo tows nicer than any we've had to date.

We had Firestone airbags installed on the truck before our purchase and the truck has the camper package which includes heavier rear springs. Didn't notice much sag without air, but I usually keep about 30 lbs. in them when towing and 5 lbs. or so unhooked. Works pretty well.

Hope you're enjoying your 5er.

Best regards...
'14 nights camped:
Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #35

Quote:

Howdy;
We really do enjoy the 295RST. Our current setup is very comfortable. Of four rigs we've owned, this combo tows nicer than any we've had to date.

We had Firestone airbags installed on the truck before our purchase and the truck has the camper package which includes heavier rear springs. Didn't notice much sag without air, but I usually keep about 30 lbs. in them when towing and 5 lbs. or so unhooked. Works pretty well.

Hope you're enjoying your 5er.

Best regards...
Thanks for the info. I guess I really need to see how much it is sagging. I would really like to tow it up this weekend but I don't want to damage anything in the process. Can a Firestone dealer do that install?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #36

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I guess I really need to see how much it is sagging. I would really like to tow it up this weekend but I don't want to damage anything in the process. Can a Firestone dealer do that install?
Had the bags installed at the RV dealership after doing some research here and on some other sites. The Firestones, at least from my research, seemed to have the biggest following. They also installed an onboard compressor that I can adjust from the cab on the fly. It was more expensive than I originally intended to invest; however, I'm very glad we included it. Only took them a couple hours to complete...

How far are you towing this weekend? Doubt you'd hurt anything in the short term, but the airbags would be a real good investment IMO if you find time/reason to add to your rig.

Got any pics?
'14 nights camped:
Old 05-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #37
Steve & Phyllis

We tow a Sandpiper 315re with a new 2012 F250 diesel and it drops our truck 3" which isn't a lot and the rubber stop still has a ways to go before helper springs are being used. I am having airbags installed next week between trips so that it will ride level. Just have to believe that if I were pulling at night my headlight would not be on the road. I got them online with free shipping and no sales tax. Can let you know week after next what if any difference they made when I have 1000 miles on them.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #38

bags are great

Had firestone ride rites on 3 trucks now. Besides levelling they really help smooth jarring bumps while towing. If you look at the various hitch and pinbox options to help towing - most of the high end ones do include an air bag system. Certainly adding a leaf can help level but there is no adjustability - so a rough ride while empty is a real possibility. Look for the new bags that have a built in rubber bump stop - this prevents the bags being damaged if they go to zero psi and get pinched. I think air-lift is making those. Pacbrake also has them. All good. I will not tow without an air system. Good for semi tractors, good for me.
By the way the install on my gm trucks was a very simple bolt on - no drilling -not sure about the fords
irishrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #39
William

Quote:

Thanks! I just bought it. 2012. 4 wheel drive. Gasser. I thought the same thing. I really appreciate the tip. They left me the message on my answer machine at home when I specifically left my cell number. I am calling them today and will post what happened.
I have the same truck. You shouldn't sag that much with 1200 lbs. I've got a pin wt of 2300, which I had to add bags.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishrv View Post
Had firestone ride rites on 3 trucks now. Besides levelling they really help smooth jarring bumps while towing. If you look at the various hitch and pinbox options to help towing - most of the high end ones do include an air bag system. Certainly adding a leaf can help level but there is no adjustability - so a rough ride while empty is a real possibility. Look for the new bags that have a built in rubber bump stop - this prevents the bags being damaged if they go to zero psi and get pinched. I think air-lift is making those. Pacbrake also has them. All good. I will not tow without an air system. Good for semi tractors, good for me.
By the way the install on my gm trucks was a very simple bolt on - no drilling -not sure about the fords
Thank you all above for the comments. I spoke with the RV dealer and they told me no problem towing it up to my site. I suppose the message they left led me to believe this was a problem I had to address before pickup. I will check out airbags over the weekend. I may just install myself otherwise I will have it done by a pro.
I will post pics soon!
Thanks!
Mike

Tags
bed