Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
dretired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
I think so.
I have a 4x2 now..it does the job for me.. I know a 4x4 is a good resale point (especially where i live)..But over $3000 more in cost ..and a little less payload capacity and towing capability...
__________________

__________________
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Also 4x2 with Posi rear.
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
dretired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Also 4x2 with Posi rear.
YES !! for some reason Ford calls it a limited slip axel...a 3.73..limited slip ..in a Crew CAB..ECO BOOST 3.5 liter..MAX TOWING PACKAGE and HEAVY DUTY PAYLOAD PKG.. 6 1/2 foot box.. 4x2... would be a 2,600lb payload and a 11,300 lb max towing/pulling ..in a 2012 F150
__________________
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 325
Posi was a GM term...Ford just wanted to be different.........I hope all goes well.
__________________
2011 Lacrosse 318BHS Touring Edition
2012 Ford F150 SupCrew 4x4 XLT 6.5' Max Tow
padave65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern Ontario Canada
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
YES !! for some reason Ford calls it a limited slip axel...a 3.73..limited slip ..in a Crew CAB..ECO BOOST 3.5 liter..MAX TOWING PACKAGE and HEAVY DUTY PAYLOAD PKG.. 6 1/2 foot box.. 4x2... would be a 2,600lb payload and a 11,300 lb max towing/pulling ..in a 2012 F150
This is the first year that Ford permitted the HD payload and Max tow package in a Supercrew 4x2! The dealer did not think it was possible as they entered the different codes. Had I not done my homework and built the vehicle on-line, it would have been a no go.

One final question for now, as we are very close to signing. The truck will come with 18" rims. Should be thinking about 20" rims? With an extremely fully loaded trailer we will only be at about 65-75% of max payload.
Won't make any appreciable difference in towing stability?
__________________
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
jd-ford-hd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
.......[/SIZE]One final question for now, as we are very close to signing. The truck will come with 18" rims. Should be thinking about 20" rims?..............
NO..! Spec it to where Ford says it will do the job and then leave it alone..!
__________________
"IF IT AINT GOT A MOTOR, I AINT INTERESTED"
jd-ford-hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
The truck will come with 18" rims. Should be thinking about 20" rims? With an extremely fully loaded trailer we will only be at about 65-75% of max payload.
Won't make any appreciable difference in towing stability?
I agree with jd-ford-hd. I would stick to the 18s.

Other than looks, I don't see any advantage to bigger wheels and low profile tires.....and I see a lot of disadvantages.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Southwest Wyoming
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I agree with jd-ford-hd. I would stick to the 18s.

Other than looks, I don't see any advantage to bigger wheels and low profile tires.....and I see a lot of disadvantages.
Besides the fact that 20" tires are terribly expensive! I guess I'm old school because I don't care for the look of the 20's.
__________________
2012 Grey Wolf 19RR
2008 Dodge 2500 CTD

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
dretired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
This is the first year that Ford permitted the HD payload and Max tow package in a Supercrew 4x2! The dealer did not think it was possible as they entered the different codes. Had I not done my homework and built the vehicle on-line, it would have been a no go.

One final question for now, as we are very close to signing. The truck will come with 18" rims. Should be thinking about 20" rims? With an extremely fully loaded trailer we will only be at about 65-75% of max payload.
Won't make any appreciable difference in towing stability?
Be Careful !!!
A "HEAVY DUTY PAYLOAD PACKAGE " should have a 7 lug 17" aluminum or steel wheel an XLT should be Aluminum an XL model steel
__________________
2014 Crusader 325 TE....2012.. F 250.. Supercab XLT, 4x2 , diesel....days camped 2011 ... 28.... days camped 2012...115 ... days camped 2013...155...2014...171 and counting
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
dretired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,037
OH....And if i am NOT mistaken.. You should get a "E " rated tire with the " HEAVY DUTY PAYLOAD PACKAGE" with those 7 lug 17" rims..
__________________

__________________
2014 Crusader 325 TE....2012.. F 250.. Supercab XLT, 4x2 , diesel....days camped 2011 ... 28.... days camped 2012...115 ... days camped 2013...155...2014...171 and counting
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.