Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #1

Steadyfast installation 290RLT

Just received my order from Steadyfast and uppon first glance it appears that I will have to cut a small piece off the metal floor in the front storage that laps over the frame. Before I do surgery on my new 5er I thought I would ask if anyone has made this install.
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #2

I installed on my 5th wheel and had to cut a minot piece of thin metal on my underside. That was it.

Take a picture of what you have to cut off.
Have you considered reversing the install in the front and rear to see if you still have the same issues?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

Here is a link to a photo of the frame.
The battery box in in the way so I cannot reverse sides. Looks like the rear will be no problem.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/...4/IMG_0421.jpg
Old 12-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Is there a gap between the sheet metal and the frame below? If there's no gap, install the bracket on top of the sheet metal bolting into the frame with the self tapping bolts.

I had to install one bracket on top of a wood strip that's bolted to the frame where they attach the lower fascia panel.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica
Is there a gap between the sheet metal and the frame below? If there's no gap, install the bracket on top of the sheet metal bolting into the frame with the self tapping bolts.

I had to install one bracket on top of a wood strip that's bolted to the frame where they attach the lower fascia panel.

Dave
There is no gap but it might be possible to make one. I thought about mounting on top of the sheet metal and using a metal spacer to take up the space but if I can cut cut the sheet metal it would make a cleaner install.
I will take photos as this project moves forward. Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:26 AM   #6

Well... Golly... Gee Whiz...

Um... why is trailer stability a problem??????????

If our rig is shakin'... well, there's just the two of us to blame...

I like to think it's mostly my wife's fault... God bless her!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya
Just received my order from Steadyfast and uppon first glance it appears that I will have to cut a small piece off the metal floor in the front storage that laps over the frame. Before I do surgery on my new 5er I thought I would ask if anyone has made this install.
Yes I installed something very similar on my 35' TT and they helped a lot. Basically anything you do in the way of stabilizing will help, some options more than others. If a we are going to sty for more than a day or two, I also add two tripod jacks just in front of the axles to the frame, and that helps a little more. Like someone else said, as long as you have rubber touching the ground, you will have a little movement.
Relkinsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
290rlt