Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
New to Forest River

Suggestions

RV Guy - Thanks for listening, and responding to all of us. We are picking up our new LaCrosse 318BHS on Saturday (Liberty RV in Liberty, MO). We would have picked it up sooner, but have had them do some custom mods that I wanted to share, for consideration.

I'm real conerned about storage and while I think the LaCrosse line is very good on internal storage, my prior trailer had better outside storage (my real concern), so I asked for a couple of mods. Not a lot that I could do, but I did have them add outside baggage doors to the under-dinette storage areas. That storage area, particularly under the back bench is fairly painful to get to. There are so many things like leveling blocks, water accessories (outside), sewer handling gloves, tool box, etc. that are really nice to have access to from outside. That is something that I think every trailer should have more of.

Lighting - our old trailer had a nice big white light out front. The new one does now also, with a switch on the side of the cabinet over the sink, up high, right inside the front door. I also had them add a white light on the back side, right behind the wall mounted light by the sofa, to aid in using those new baggage doors they added.

Regards,

Mike
Graduated from 1999 Dodge Ram Extended 2wd 5.9L &
2005 Prowler Lynx Ultralite 29BHS
Mikedboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Great mods - I'm glad our friends at Liberty could tweak your LaCrosse for your needs - thanks for the feedback - we are always looking for ways to make our products have greater value to our customers.

Thanks for your purchase and happy camping!

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #3

Please upload pics when you pick it up. I would love to see the baggage door on the dinette slide.
bardeenm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

With the outside kitchen and the pass through storage in the front, what in the world would you need more outside storage for???? I have camped for 3 seasons in my 318 and do not know why you would want more outside storage? ...I just put a box inside the bathroom door if I need more space.....I keep my turkey fryer there...
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
New to Forest River

hot dog sticks, 2x5 lb propane bottles, small charcoal grill, grill to put over a campfire, hatchet, camp shovel, picnic table top camp stove (bigger than the outdoor kitchen one, may not need), bicycle, carrier to pull behind bicycle, dish pans, collapsible trash cans, 2x6 gallon water jugs to keep outside, several lawn chairs, water hose or 2, tool box, egg cartons full of lint and wax for fire starters, bungee cords, propane lantern, picnic tablecloth and clips, sewer gloves, slideout lubricant, wasp spray, stackable blocks for leveling, few pieces of wood for putting under stabalizer jacks or one end of a picnic table, sign with our name on it, white plastic foldup table, golf ball game, etc.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
New to Forest River

hmmmm - turkey fryer .............
Old 03-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #7

I am not sure if I need more outdoor storage, but I think adding it to access the back part of the dinette is brilliant, because it would be so much more useful to access it from there. I hope PT is paying attention.
Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Is the bed of your truck off limits? If not, consider some totes and put those items in the tote. When done your trip, put into the RV until next trip. Just a thought.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
New to Forest River

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
Is the bed of your truck off limits? If not, consider some totes and put those items in the tote. When done your trip, put into the RV until next trip. Just a thought.
I do use the truck bed for firewood & stuff for this trip only, but if it's stuff I always take, I will always try to find a place in the trailer, not places where I have to shuffle stuff around, if I can.

Thanks for the thought.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #10

You have a HD truck, did you consider a 5th wheel? Most travel trailers maximize inside living versus outside storage. A 5th wheel typically has many times the outside storage in the front drop frame. 5th wheels typically have a higher margin of CCC for that space. My Crossroads Cruiser I previously had could store a Toyota Yaris in the front pass thru.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
New to Forest River

Yeah - of course we talked about it, but extra $$, giving up the truck bed, all that. Many threads on these forums about that whlole conversation. Just about done packing the new trailer with all of the old stuff (reduced actually) and it's all good now, except for the bicycle and the wheeled carrier (for dogs and grand kids). Pictures will be coming.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedboyd View Post
hot dog sticks, 2x5 lb propane bottles, small charcoal grill, grill to put over a campfire, hatchet, camp shovel, picnic table top camp stove (bigger than the outdoor kitchen one, may not need), bicycle, carrier to pull behind bicycle, dish pans, collapsible trash cans, 2x6 gallon water jugs to keep outside, several lawn chairs, water hose or 2, tool box, egg cartons full of lint and wax for fire starters, bungee cords, propane lantern, picnic tablecloth and clips, sewer gloves, slideout lubricant, wasp spray, stackable blocks for leveling, few pieces of wood for putting under stabalizer jacks or one end of a picnic table, sign with our name on it, white plastic foldup table, golf ball game, etc.
I keep most of what you have listed either inside my camper or in an existing compartment. Although the outside access to underneath the Udinette would save alot of work walking in and lifting the cushions. I keep an extra table in the bunk above the outside kitchen and an EZup along the master bed. Bicycles go in the truck bed. I would like to have a rear rack but do not want to void my suspension warranty.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikedboyd View Post
hmmmm - turkey fryer .............
A turkey fryer is great. I use it to make a big batch of corn on the cob, crabs, french fries, spagetti for the masses, 10 pound of shrimp, the list goes on and on....
Old 03-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
New to Forest River

I'm thinking I'll get some big plastic bins to put on the bunk over the kitchen. If I put that bunk mattress over on top of the other bunk, up against the wall, I'll have a ledge to keep the bins in place. Target has some that should fit perfect, 3 across.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #15

I think your mods were a great idea. The bright lights would be awesome for so many things, did you use LED?

Cheese
Mistacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #16
New to Forest River

Just normal lights