Old 07-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #1

Super Duty w/ a 7 foot bed with a Crusader

I have A 2011 Crusader and a 2008 Super Duty with a 7 foot bed. I was wondering if someone else with a Crusader and a newer Super Duty could tell me the distance between the tail gate and trailer with the gate down when hooked up.
I installed a 5th wheel hitch ( Reese Elite 18 k) from my last pick up that had a 8 foot bed into my new pick up ( 2008 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 7 foot bed) and the Super Duty already had a B&W setup in it that was much beter than the Reese kit. The B&W only has one hole in the center of the bed, and with the Reese you have to put 4 holes that stick up a bit. So, I decided to machine a adaptor so i could us the B&W kit already in the truck with my Reese hitch ( I have been doing fabrication and machining for 20 years its plenty safe).
I have built an adjustable plate, so i can move the hitch foward and back, but i want it a far forward and over the rear axle as possable with out hitting the cab, so if someone with a Super Duty with a 7 foot bed could tell the distance hooked up it would be very helpfull.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Where is the hitch centerline now relative to the rear axle?

I know on mine, using the reese instructions and measurement, the hitch centerline is 4" ahead of the axle centerline. With our Rockwood, the tailgate is as about 3" from the front of the basement when hitching up. Pretty tight...need to be pretty close to lining up with the camper to hitch up. BTW, the box is really 6'9".

Even if a Crusader owner doesn't have an '08 - 10 F250, they could give you a measurement from the king pin centerline to the front of the basement at the height of their truck bed.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

I have a 2012 F-250 short bed with the B&W companion hitch. I will have to look and see how far it is. I just unhooked yesterday, I have never measured it but it has go to be at least a foot if not longer between the two.

2011 Cursader 298 BHD
2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Power Stroke
B&W Companion Hitch
Days Reserved for 2012: 39
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick feedback. I was looking for the dimension between the trailer and truck with the tail gate down. This would be a shortest measurement and would have least variables involved.
I have the same B&W companion kit i my truck and really like how the hitch hooks into the truck, and like how it leaves the truck bed when the hitch is no in it.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #5

I guess I am missing something. Why are you putting the reese hitch on the B&W base? do you have the whole companion hitch? If so why not just run that? It is a great hitch. You can adjust the hitch and move the fifth wheel forward and back. And up and down depending on how you set the hitch up. I have the exact trailer you do, and pretty well the same truck. I have the up/down adjustment in the middle setting and have it in the furthest back setting. I have no problem at all getting around with the B&W hitch and the trailer. You would have to get it in one hell of a bind to get into the cab. I have a tool box that sits on top of the bed rails, and never have a problem. Any way it's your rig you can do what ever you want, I was just curious why you were combining the two. I will try and messure the distance for you tomorrow when I get home. But like I said before it is at least a foot if not more between the tailgate (with it down) and the trailer.

2011 Cursader 298 BHD
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 07-25-2012, 09:11 AM   #6

I have been using the Reese Elite series hitch in my last pickup truck a 2001 Chevy 3500, and just recently replaced it with a 08 Ford Super Duty (what a great truck). The Reese hitch is a great hitch, and was pretty expensive when I bought it and want to keep it rather than buying a new hitch. However, the 08 Super Duty already had a B&W Companion kit mounted in the bed of the truck. I was going to remove it for the Reese kit, but after looking at the B&W kit I decided to keep the B&W kit in the truck and fabricate an adapter to mount the Reese hitch onto the B&W kit that was already mounted in the 08 Ford that I just purchased. I machined up the adapter and it works great. Basically, it a 2 piece of square stock machined to fit the hole in the B&W receiver, and then a plate with adjustment holes that fit the Reese hitch. I have been moving the hitch around forward and back to find the sweet spot where it wont hit the cab with a 90 degree turn, but not be too far back where Im not getting enough of the pin weight is over the rear axle. I think Im pretty close as I have a few long trips completed with it with no problem, but I thought I would ask someone with a similar setup for a dimension from truck to trailer to be sure. Sorry for the confusion, I realize it probably pretty uncommon to mix manufactures parts for something like a 5th wheel hitch, but Im glad I did as I feel I have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #7
Now a "Top Member"

Okay, only because it's driving me crazy. First, I can't help with the measurements. But I have to say, it's either 6.5' bed, or an 8' bed. There is no 7' bed. There...I feel better.

Seriously though, it is an odd situation and one that as you are finding, you are only going to get right by trial and error. Hopefully not too much on the error side. Could be an expensive error.
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #8

Ok so you have the B&W turn over ball, you don't have the actual companion hitch. That makes more sense. Would like to see some pics of what you built.

2011 Cursader 298 BHD
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #9

I just moved my hitch a few notches forward giving me 4 inches from the end of the gate (in the down position) to the front of the trailer. It seems much better towing, and I think I will leave it there. I will post some photos of the adapter later on. I have been using the hitch with the adapter all season, and really happy with it.
I am also sorry for considering my bed as a 7 foot bed. It measures 7 feet from outside of the front head board to the outside of my tailgate closed. The inside of the bed is 69 NOT 65. I think the 65 bed is on the 150 pickups, and the 250s have a slightly larger bed.

Tags
bed