Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #1

Surge Protectors...

Sinple Questions...yes or no..Portable or hard wired. What kind?? I hear lots of info, i never used one in my fifth wheel, dosent mean that I shouldnt have, and camping world has them all on sale right now.
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
Site Team

There's good reason for either kind but I opted for a portable unit mostly due to cost. At frist I was afraid about theft but now I just use a lock at the box for peace of mind.

If my unit get stolen then I might pay the extra cost of having one hard wired but for now I rather not have someone playing around with my trailer's wiring. Maybe I would feel differently if my budget wasn't on a diet.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #3

Portable, Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C (EMS-PT30C).
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:04 AM   #4

YES on surge protecter. We use a portable one, and I make a metal tab that's screwd to the bottom ot the protector. Then I use a cable bike lock to lock it to the post. When you figure out the cost to replacein every elect component in the trl vs a surge protector the surge protector is a lot less cost, to say nothing of the time lost getting the trl repaired for a voltage surge. Just buy a good one that also has a low voltage shut off capability too. Low voltage can hurt as much as voltage spike

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Your decision may be determined by the ease of access to the power supply wiring to be able to install a 'hard-wired' surge protector.

I installed a HW30 C on our camper as it was easy to access the power supply into the camper behind a removable panel in the bottom pantry cabinet. It can also be easily removed should I sell the camper.

The price between the between the portable and hard-wired versions aren't that different.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:49 PM   #6

HI!

Yes for sure use a surge protector. If you are using 30 amp models the cost is not as high as the 50 amp models. I install it at the camper end of the cord and not at the post as they suggest. It makes no difference to suppressing the surges. I hid mine under the spare tire which also kept it dry.

Since I have moved to a 5th wheel I had the dealer install the 50 amp unit in the vehicle as the cost was almost double the 30 amp unit and it was a real chunk to hide. The downside of this is that I cannot see the unit and if something goes wrong then it's back to the dealer. I hope this helps. BTW I had my 30 amp Surge suppressor over 5 years.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
Your decision may be determined by the ease of access to the power supply wiring to be able to install a 'hard-wired' surge protector.

I installed a HW30 C on our camper as it was easy to access the power supply into the camper behind a removable panel in the bottom pantry cabinet. It can also be easily removed should I sell the camper.

The price between the between the portable and hard-wired versions aren't that different.

Dave
True but in my case I had to include the cost factor of having it installed. While many members here are able to install it easily this is not the case with me.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #8

Thanks for the input, now I just have to decide on hard wired or portable. Im pretty cionfident I can install it ok, but I want to make sure I can access it easily if I have to..
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote