Old 03-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #11
We had a blow-out after around 5,000 miles with the GY Marathons, on '12 3500 Sanibel, LR E, one was two too many, with the damage to the 5er (which GY paid for, and one tire). I replaced all 5 of the Marathons with Sailun G rated tires. Recommended by RV dealer to Tire Roundup in Leesburg FL. They are more of a commercial grade tire, the side walls are not as soft as SR and ST tires. The 5er pulls easier with the stiffer sidewalls.

EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #12
A long while back, I had a new truck delivered with 6” rims on the rear instead of 6.5” rims. The tires wobbled and the bead was uneven on the rim. Another problem was the rims weren’t rated to handle the higher load of a load range E tire. This could have created a big problem had it not been corrected.

I read at that Marathon ST235/80R16 tires can accept rim widths from 6.0-7.5” but, as you say, G614 RST LT235/85R16 tires work with only 6.5” rims. Perhaps your tire dealer can advise you on this, as I wonder if the G614 tires would wobble like my truck tires did on the smaller rim.

I took the factory upgraded to Maxxis ST235/80R16/E 8008 tires on my Wildcat 5th wheel. Maxxis says they too only fit 6.5” rims so they aren’t a good choice for you. I have about 9,500 miles on my Maxxis tires and they have performed well so far. I’ll likely replace my tires with either Maxxis or Marathon tires as they are both highly recommended by most owners. The G614 tires are just too expensive and I could only inflate them to 80 psi because of my rims.

2015 Wildcat 282 RKX
2011 F350 Lariat, 6.7 L. Diesel, 8 ft., SRW, Reese R20
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #13

The g614 will work on 7" rims go to Goodyear web page get phone number call rep I did and talked about that and was told it would create no problem I can't remember all specifics it was in 2009 also the guy gave me a direct number if I ever had a problem with the tire also the speed rating is higher on that tire you probably can contact thru email also
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:41 AM   #14
Thanks for the comments. Just to answer a few questions: I keep my speed at 65 mph. I lost 2 tires on my last trip with the temperature around 40 - 45 degrees. The other tires failed in the summer. I was looking at a load range G knowing it was overkill. It seems like all the tires I was interested in require a 6.5 inch rim so I will have to replace those. The current rims are rated 110 psi. Thanks again for the feedback. Hoping to hear from someone who switched to the GY G614s.
Dgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #15
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by TGR View Post
[FONT=Calibri]A long while back, I had a new truck delivered with 6 rims on the rear instead of 6.5 rims. The tires wobbled and the bead was uneven on the rim...
Sounds like your major problem with the wobble was the tires weren't mounted correctly, not referring to the load problem at all.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:49 AM   #16
I installed the G614 tires on our Sanibel 3601, Our wheels were rated for 110 psi. The width of the wheel was also compatible. I know that their is a huge difference in LT and Trailer tires. If you read several post on this site, you will get a understanding of the difference. Also handling difference. I feel for you with the Marathon tires, I feel that they are over rated. I don't have many miles on our new tires to give you a lot of input. But Goodyear is making the 2550.00 repairs to the body damage. I also have installed fenders to limit the next tire failure. Which I hope that never happens again. Plus I now carry two spare tires.
jimmyt11664 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #17
Standard responses you'll get to tire questions

If you search the forums, you will generally see these answers:

16" or bigger, go to LT tires:
- Goodyear G614 - expensive but have guarantee to fix your RV if a blown tire damages it (keep the blown out tire)

- Michelin RIBS

- Sailun S637 - less expensive but people are having good luck with them

- Bridgestone Duravis R250

15" or smaller, stay with ST tires (limited max speed to 65 mph):
- Maxis M8008 - reliable, good track record on the forums

- Carlisle Radial Trail RH - the new design seems to have solved the problems you see on the forums from several years ago
2014 Crusader 296BHS
2015 GMC 2500HD Denali
kohai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #18
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Agree 100%. Inflate to max sidewall pressure. I do it on car, truck and trailers.
Isn't uneconomical to even buy the tires rated for 110 psi in the first place, if 80 psi is all that's required to bear the load according to the manufacturer's inflation guide? Wouldn't the OP be better off buying 80 psi tires if appropriate?
Chris Cowles, Gainesville, FL
- 2014 Shamrock 21DK
- 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi Limited 4x2
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:21 PM   #19
Trailer tires are inflated to maximum tire pressure cold. With automobile and truck tires, they are suggest tire pressure on the door placard, this is to promote tire wear and handling aspects. For a loaded truck rear tires with single rear tires are at maximum tire pressure to handle load. Same with trailer tires. Maximum tire pressure for load and handling. I would be over rated on my tires. Than under rated with tire failures. Remember that a trailer tire has a different side wall construction than a truck /car tire. It will not have good handling of the tow vehicle. Due to side wall flex. More info at
jimmyt11664 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #20
We have a 2013 3500, we have had nothing but tire trouble until we switched to LT tires. Over a year now 25,000 miles and no problems. Tow at 65 where we can, 60 otherwise. Handling is better, even gained 1/2 mpg in the deal. ST tires are in my humble opinion are junk. Put a tire that is rated to haul passengers, LT tire are rated lower for weight but have a 20% reserve and rated for a higher speed. This is a hot topic on this forum, with people who have strong opinions on both sides. Mfg's put on ST tires because of costs, like everything else it is trade of. We installed BF Goodrich commercial Tas. Made in USA by Michelin.

Good Luck

Wayne and Donna

Wayne, Donna and Moab
2016 Ford S/D Platinum
2013 Sanibel 3500
Honda 3000 si
4 6 volt batterys
wmcclay is offline   Reply With Quote

sanibel, tire, tires