Old 03-16-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Switching to LT tires on Sanibel 3600

The original tires (Goodyear Marathon ST235/80R16) that came with my 2013 Sanibel 3600 lasted only 1 year - about 6,000 miles. I ALWAYS checked my cold PSI prior to leaving each morning and have a TPMs. Based on all the complaints I have read on this forum and the Internet, I am surprised that Prime Time continues to use them???
My question is for those who have swapped out their ST tires for LT tires. I am leaning to the Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 tire but it says the rim size should be 6.5 inches and the Sanibel comes with a 6.0 inch rim rated at 110 psi. Does the half an inch makes that much difference and has anyone made this swap?? Also, the new tires are about 20 pounds heavier. Any problems storing the spare under the Sanibel such as dropped down? I will not use my Sanibel until I upgrade my tires since 4 tire failures while on an interstate is no fun plus damage to the RV.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #2

Usually people complain about the china bombs on the new campers. Yours came with GY Marathon's which I thought was a good tire.

Tires are so frustrating.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Usually people complain about the china bombs on the new campers. Yours came with GY Marathon's which I thought was a good tire. Tires are so frustrating. Vin.
And who knows how old they were or if they had been curbed by the transporter or underinflated prior to the owner taking possession? All sorts of things could have happened before the owner got them.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #4

I am not expert on tire widths but my understanding is if you mount the tires on smaller rims you might have bead seating issues under full/pressure full load conditions. The tire may work fine but they might unseat under certain conditions. Your tire dealer might be best handled to provide guidance.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #5

I have a Sanibel 3400 with the same tires. In one trip from Fla. Panhandle to Red Lodge Mt and return I blew 3 out of 4 of the "new" Marathons. Getting ready to go again so now I have 4 new Maxxis 8008s. Hopefully better luck this year
Old 03-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgonzo View Post
The original tires (Goodyear Marathon ST235/80R16) that came with my 2013 Sanibel 3600 lasted only 1 year - about 6,000 miles. I ALWAYS checked my cold PSI prior to leaving each morning and have a TPMs. Based on all the complaints I have read on this forum and the Internet, I am surprised that Prime Time continues to use them???
My question is for those who have swapped out their ST tires for LT tires. I am leaning to the Goodyear G614 LT235/85R16 tire but it says the rim size should be 6.5 inches and the Sanibel comes with a 6.0 inch rim rated at 110 psi. Does the half an inch makes that much difference and has anyone made this swap?? Also, the new tires are about 20 pounds heavier. Any problems storing the spare under the Sanibel such as dropped down? I will not use my Sanibel until I upgrade my tires since 4 tire failures while on an interstate is no fun plus damage to the RV.
You didn't say what load range you are putting on. According to the web site the camper came with load range E which should carry 80 psi. The Goodyear's you are looking at could be a load range G if it is 20 lbs heaver than the Marathons. It would need 110 psi which would be over kill for a 12000 lb trailer. I would put something in the E range on it. I have run LT tires on two different fifthwheels that weigh in in the 12 to 13000 range for 15 years and have never had an issue. Like everyone else the trailer came with China blems on it and never ran them for over year before having cracking or out of round issue. It is lot of piece of mind in getting better tires for me. What ever tire you get run the max tire pressure on the sidewall and you will be ok. As far as the 1/2" rim width I would think it will matter. I wouldn't try the G range, as the E range is plenty when inflated right. I have used the Firestones Steeltex or what ever they call them now on all and never had issue.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #7

There is an inflaton chart by Goodyear for all tires. You don't need to put in 110 PSI. Just like you don't inflate your car tires to the max on the sidewall.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

I put on Michelin XPS ribs. No issue. If you look at the XPS there are two diameters of tires for the same size. The smaller one is likely the same diameter as the GY.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47chevy View Post
I have a Sanibel 3400 with the same tires. In one trip from Fla. Panhandle to Red Lodge Mt and return I blew 3 out of 4 of the "new" Marathons. Getting ready to go again so now I have 4 new Maxxis 8008s. Hopefully better luck this year

Wondering about what speed do you tow your Sanibel?
Old 03-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #9

G614 tires

On that g614 tire you have to have a heavy duty rim that will hold 110 psi if you run less pressure you are wasting your time and money had to put them on 2009 grand junction came with hd rims but Chinese tires 4 blo outs 3 within 100 miles had to buy used tires to get me home 100 miles 15 mph Thor paid most of my tire bill shipped me another hd rim for spare insurance paid damage both sides of fifth wheel
Old 03-16-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boso View Post
On that g614 tire you have to have a heavy duty rim that will hold 110 psi if you run less pressure you are wasting your time and money...
Agree 100%. Inflate to max sidewall pressure. I do it on car, truck and trailers.

Tags
sanibel, tire, tires