Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #1

Tank Drains

Hi All
I've been reading the forum since we picked up our new Primetime 297RSK 5er.
We're getting getting ready to take our first trip and I'm checking all systems to assure we are ready. Every seems ok so far. The last couple of days I sanitized the fresh water system and wanted check the waste tanks. I wanted to assure they didn't leak and that the valving works correctly. (Better to check with fresh water that I can dump on the ground than waste that I can't discharge freely.)
I had thought that the 297RSK has 1 Black tank and 1 Grey tank. Today while testing the tanks discharge I found a second valve with a grey handle???
When I add water to the grey tank from the kitchen or bathroom only 1 tank gauge shows a level increase
There is a grey handle and a black handle valve in the basement area. I found a second grey handle valve by the sewer hose connection.
I'm hoping someone can lay out what the second grey valve is for.
Thanks for the help
Mrdegold

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-08 19.24.54.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	107302

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-08 19.25.45.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	107303
mrdegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #2

if you have an outdoor kitchen, that could be for the sink.....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the response. We do have an outside kitchen however it doesn't have a sink. It has a 2 burner stove and a small refrigerator.
Mrdegold
Old 05-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Yours is different than mine but have one gray for shower and bathroom sink. One for black water and one for kitchen. Try adding more water and check the monitor again. It is possible the probes for the tank level is not working or loose. I once had a monitor that would not show up and found that the nut for the probe was loose. I also once had to pull the cover off the monitor and wiggle the button under the cover to get it to light up.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:49 AM   #5

I will double check but I'm pretty sure that drain water from the kitchen sink and bathroom show tank level under the galley button. I'm planing on experimenting some more after work today. I'll post anything I figure out.
Thanks for the help
Michael
Old 05-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #6

Do you have hook ups for laundry?
OnyxSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:08 PM   #7

Looking at your floor plan ... I'd imagine since you discovered the third handle you have 3 tanks ... black for stool, grey for bathroom sink and shower, and galley for kitchen sink. This is the way about all fivers are designed now days. The kitchen sink has its own tank (galley). Tank monitors are notoriously inaccurate save the fresh water one. Leave the galley tank valve open and pour a bucket of water down the kitchen sink.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #8
Toy-aholic

Yes you have the same setup As I....the 3rd one is for the kitchen sink and may I advise do not leave it empty after you dump....I found out the hard way that tank can grow some pretty nasty stuff sitting empty that smells like a black tank on a hot day! Always keep a gallon or 2 of water in there to slosh around.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #9

Results of my experiments

I went over everything today after work and I have the tank layout figured out.
I had thought that our 5er had a single grey water tank. In none of the literature or anything I have seen did I see that the 297rsk has two grey water tanks. Everything I had seen showed 70 gallons of grey water.(which is one of the things I liked about the 297.) Today I learn yea 70 gallons 35 gallon galley tank plus a 35 gallon bathroom tank equals 70 gallons. (I'm a bit disappointed by this we tend to use the most water in the shower)
So the grey valve by the sewer pipe is for the kitchen and the grey valve in the basement is for the bathroom.
The experiments also showed that the level indicators are wired incorrectly, which I think contributed to my confusion. I found that the button and lights for the Black tank is actually indicating galley grey water, The indicators for the galley grey water actually showing the bathroom grey water, The black tank is being displayed on the grey tank indicator. Also I've had my fresh water tank low point drain open all night and day and the fresh water display shows 2/3 full.
I've left a message at my dealer for the indicators.
I would like like to thank everyone for helping out I truly appreciate your help and advise.
Thanks Again
Michael
Old 05-10-2016, 07:04 AM   #10

You can get a knife valve to put on the sewer outlet. Twist on to clamp like your sewer hose. Close new valve, open both gray water valves and you have one 70 gallon storage setup. The sewer hose than twist on this knife valve.

They cost around 20 bucks and you can get one at any Rv store. I just leave mine on all the time. Simple easy cheap solution.
rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #11

rscconrad
Thanks for the reply. Great minds must think alike. I had already ordered the valve before reading your reply. Valve should be here tomorrow.
I wanted to call my dealer back today about the indicators but got a bit side tracked. I'll call in the morning.
Again I want to thank everyone for the help.
Michael
Old 05-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #12

You'll find other than being wired opposite one another ... the stock tank indicators are more of a suggestion as to their level of liquid rather than fact. The fresh water is usually reasonably accurate, but the rest you'll learn to guestimate how long you can go before you need to dump. As for showers, unless you are at full hookups you'll need to educate your crew as to what a "Navy Shower" is or you'll use up grey tank capacity in a hurry. Turn the water on and twirl around, shut off water, soap up, turn the water back on and twirl around a few times and turn it back off.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, tank