Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #1

Tear in slide out rubber roof at the corner

At the end of our first trip out in our new 267 Tracer I found two small tears in the slide out rubber roof at the front edge closest to the camper. I never would of seen these if it wasn't for it raining the morning we packed up camp. I used a step ladder and toweled off the top of the slide before retracting it in. I contacted the dealer I purchased it from, and they said to bring it in after the holiday as they were busy. I dropped it off and it has been two weeks, 4 weeks since I first contacted them. I called them today to see what the progess was. They quickly said they are waiting for an answer from Prime Time. Anyone else look at there slide out roof? I have been kicking myself for not looking at the top of the slide when I did the pre delivery walk thru. How would this be fixed? New rubber on slide roof, our would they patch it?
267TacerPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Working as an RV Tech the last few weeks, I learned to hate slides for yet another reason. We replaced the rubber, on several, as there is no patch that will hold there. It takes several hours, and you have to get factory authorization for warranty work. It can take several weeks for the authorization. By the way, that flap of rubber is not the seal that keeps rain out when open or closed. That just HELPS wipe the water off in case you close the slide when wet.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #3

Try contacting Prime Time. They may contact the dealer on your behalf to help move things along.
Here's a link to their contact page;
Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels

Hope this helps and good luck.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:20 AM   #4

I think you have two issues...one, fix the tears, two find out what caused the tears to begin with......have you watched the roof of the slide as someone opens or closes the slide? I would be curious what did it.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #5
Commercial Member

267 - Sorry to hear of your problem.

Please contact our Customer Service at this link and we will push things along with the dealer:

Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels

Again, please accept our apologies and we will work hard to get your Tracer fixed up.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #6

Not the same problem as you are having, but my LaCrosse is in the shop at the dealer as well. The old "We're waiting for authorization from the manufacturer for warranty work" excuse must be a common saying among RV dealers. I heard that one as well, so I contacted Prime Time and they were not even aware that anything was being worked on. Prime Time called the dealer and good things started happening that day. Don't let the dealer try to pass the buck and blame Prime Time.
Notuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #7

Repair fixed.

The tear was caused by a screw that was caught in the corner of the slide and the trailer. This the dealer told me. They also repaired the tear by cutting a piece of rubber and gluing it to the top of the rubber roof. I specifically asked if this repair was authorized by Prime Time and they said yes. Looks terrible and I know that it won't last. The good news they fixed the fuse for my jack.
267TacerPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 AM   #8

I would talk to Prime Time directly. I do not think this sounds like a long term solution. You might as well have taped it with Eternabond tape. Right now is camping season. I recommend that you talk to them about a long term fix after camping season is over this year if you feel that the fix is substandard. Sounds like they could pull out the slide, remove it and put a new rubber roof on it. Labor intensive but not a huge materials cost.