Old 03-07-2014, 10:28 AM   #1

Cool The Spartan Toy Haulers

Thought I would go over what I have learned so far about my new Spartan Toy Hauler.

The Good Things - Great Bed - So many electronics it is almost confusing. A Stereo controller built into the outside wall. Tows Great with my 2500 Series Dodge Power Wagon, but I did add an air system to level out the ride as it is at the max weight. They Leveling systems is awesome! It is actually rock solid.

The bad things - the design is 2 inches to narrow. You cannot put two ATVs side by side in it without tearing up the vertical track for the picnic table. You need to buy ATV dollies and turn the ATVs sideways. The only other compliant is that it did not come with all of the parts for all of the things in the trailer. I had to by remote, a hose for the vacuum and of all things, a cover for the holding tanks drain. One other trail of thought - the Wardrobe is HUGE - but it needs to be reversed with more drawers and less room for close you need to hang up.

Overall - I love it. This is my second Prime Time Trailer and I would not buy a trailer from anyone else! Taking it on it first long haul from Ohio to Florida in 3 weeks. I will post back in and let everyone know if I found out any new bugs

Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

Was this trailer new? I ask because all those things you bought should have been with the trailer. You should have asked the dealer what happened to them.

Sent from my NX008HD8G using Forest River Forums mobile app

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #3

Yep

It was new. And yes it should of been there. However, I knew there would be issues as I bought the 4th one off the line. The dealer looked and could not find what was should of been shipped and should of been in the camper. They did offer me new ones from their parts department, but it was cheaper to just get them local than drive out there and pick them up
Old 03-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #4

We saw our first Spartan at the Toronto RV Show back in Jan. Up until that point we weren't even aware that PT made TH. Normally a TH would not appeal to us. This one did. In fact we were very impressed with it. Not that we'll be upgrading any time in the next few years, but it was interesting rig.

We'll be interested to watch the development as they improve over time. I'll say you are a braver man than I to buy into such a new line. Good luck with it! I am sure PT will look after you. They almost always do.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:55 PM   #5

Back from our First Trip

We got back over the weekend from our trip to Destin, Florida. It was about 1,700 miles round trip. We spent 8 nights in the camper at 4 different places. So here is our first real review of the Spartan - and I hope the guys from Prime Time read this.

The good parts - It tows like a dream using our 2500 Series Gas Powered Dodge. No Issues what so ever. The Hydraulic Leveling system does take some getting used to, to get the trailer off the hitch, but it is easy going on. The bed is supper comfortable and the back patio is awesome. The tie downs in the back are great! Overall - it is a 9 out of a 10 - and that is going to be because I nit pick next.

These areas need a design change - You need a 3 zone radio system, like in the Lacrosse so that you can hear it in the main cabins. Currently it is only outside or in the garage. Other design issues are the way that the bunk in the garage is hooked to the vertical tracks. White Zip Ties are really cheesy. In the bedroom - why the heck - and this is my larges complaint - would you put a light - with a built in night light - 15 inches from my face when I am trying to sleep?!? - with no way to turn it off except remove the bulb. Maybe on the ceiling, but not under the cabinets.... Com'on Man! Also, one of the very nice wardrobes should have shelves in it. How many people in a Toy Hauler need two wardrobes for hanging up dress cloths? One other note - the fridge would not run on propane, but that is not an issue as the dealer is fixing it and that was the only thing in the hundreds of parts that did not work - that is batting a thousand in my book

Over all - Like I said above, It is a 9 out of 10 and I would recommend it to people. On the other side - it is a real attention getter - so be prepared to talk about it with lots of other people -
Old 04-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #6

The Spartan Toy Hualers

[QUOTE=In the bedroom - why the heck - and this is my larges complaint - would you put a light - with a built in night light - 15 inches from my face when I am trying to sleep?!? - with no way to turn it off except remove the bulb. Maybe on the ceiling, but not under the cabinets.... Com'on Man! [/QUOTE]

I have prime times crusader and this drives me nutz too! Right above our head is two led reading lights that you can turn off but there is a blue nightlight shinning right in your eyes when your trying to fall asleep! Wth was someone thinking. Nice in the bedroom, but not right in your eyes????
Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #7

Pics from the Trip -

Same Darn Blue Lights!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #8

Guess we should be glad our touring edition came with a central vac instead of the LED pkg 😉- sounds annoying💡
Old 06-16-2014, 10:20 PM   #9

Mad Marine,
Thanks for the good, bad comments on the Spartan. I am considering buying one in a couple of weeks if my truck (GMC 2500 with the Duramax/Allison) can handle the weight. I was glad to hear that your 2500 handled it fine. It sounds like I will have to invest in air bags right away though. If you have any other thoughts on what I need to know before buying, I would appreciate the heads up. It is a little scary going from a 26' TT to a 36' FW & doubling the weight I am currently towing with my truck.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:23 PM   #10

I think with the Duramax you will be fine. If you have a short bed pickup make sure you sport up for a PullRite Hitch. You can check them out on line. They are not cheap, but it may save your truck. Watch the You Tub videos of people breaking their truck and you will see the value.

We did trade the 2500 Power Wagon in though. Not because it could not handle it, it was because it was a gas engine. So between the wear and tear and 4 MPG when going through the hills, I moved up to the 3500 Series with the Cummins.

One other thought, if you are doing ATVs, the camper is two narrow for 2 large framed (Like Yamaha Grizzlies or Polaris) ATVs. You have to put them in sideways. It will work, but get an ATV dolly (Goes under the wheels so you can push them around). 3000 Miles Towing it and no issues!