Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 09:27 AM   #1

The time has come for the dreaded underside wear

While winterizing this weekend, we noticed our 2014 Crusader 325RES now has the shredding of the Darco underwrap on the large couch slide. We are seasonal and the slide is only extended in/out about 3 or 4 times each year since we purchased the unit new in Sept 2013 so it took awhile for it to happen but it has.

We purchased the extended 5 year warranty through CornerStone and I have sent two emails to contacts on the Prime Time website with pictures also.

Will keep all advised of the outcome....stay tuned
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:29 AM   #2

Pictures 😞

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1478528930.318683.jpg
Views: 1851
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1478528943.843325.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1478528956.627224.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  96.2 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
Old 11-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Always Learning

It was recommended to me to put strips of aluminum under the slide where the rollers are. It sounds like Lance is doing it on their campers as a warranty fix and others have done it for different brands.

I just did it on my 2 Schwintek slides. If I see any indication other places, I'll do it there too.
Old 11-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It was recommended to me to put strips of aluminum under the slide where the rollers are. It sounds like Lance is doing it on their campers as a warranty fix and others have done it for different brands.

I just did it on my 2 Schwintek slides. If I see any indication other places, I'll do it there too.

Our hopes are that PT will supply the slide strips to do that....we know they are out there and have seen posts on them with part numbers so we will see what PT says and then CornerStone as well 👍🏻

The other LR slide is showing NO wear ....probably due to excess weight of couch/fridge slight would br the obvious reason

The bed slide is Schwintek and NO issues there either

Old 11-07-2016, 01:35 PM   #5

Have you tried adjusting the slide any with the bolts. I put some of the tape on mine and adjusted the screws a little. Hasn't been long enough yet to tell any difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown View Post
Have you tried adjusting the slide any with the bolts. I put some of the tape on mine and adjusted the screws a little. Hasn't been long enough yet to tell any difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

No we have not made any adjustments to the slide...we could but have not yet

This was just found this weekend so we will see where PT and our extended warranty take it next - hopefully the slick strips and a minor slide adjustment does the trick !!

Old 11-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #7
Site Team

Get the wear strips from primetime. (If like my Lacrosse)There are no rollers for the slide.The problem is the slide drags across the wear bar threshold.
Make sure your slide is adjusted correctly and add the strips they work.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-45789.html

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:10 PM   #8

The best solution are the wear strips from PT. Had them installed over a year ago and not a single problem since.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:51 PM   #9

Do you only need wear strips for slides with Darco, or should I request for all slides?
Old 11-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
Don't expect warranty help from Prime Time. This has been a well known issue with slides.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
Don't expect warranty help from Prime Time. This has been a well known issue with slides.
This is not only an issue with PT rigs. It is happening across other brands as well.

In my case PT took care of it with ZERO cost to me. A simple phone call was all it took to get the ball rolling.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:07 PM   #12
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Rick at Prime Time took great care of my Crusader. The 2 main slides got all4 sliders replaced. The small wardrobe slide has no sign of abrasion yet, so I think we are good to go with that.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #13
Site Team

Took months before pt approved mine.
But then again they did not know they had a problem, or so I was told. Do believe I may have been the first to get them.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 11-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Took months before pt approved mine.
But then again they did not know they had a problem, or so I was told. Do believe I may have been the first to get them.

Was yours repaired within the one year warranty period or after it expired?

Old 11-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
Was yours repaired within the one year warranty period or after it expired?

During my warranty period my unit was into the dealer several times for too many things. Mostly poor repair work the 1st 2nd or 3rd time, that's another story.....
The slide wear was reported on the first or second visit (I think).
Dealer / pt tried tape, adjusting the slide, more tape, more adjustments and even the "its normal and not a problem"...really?
Think by the time the wear strips were installed it was close if not passed 1 year.
But like I said, it was in for the problem several times before and documented.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 11-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
During my warranty period my unit was into the dealer several times for too many things. Mostly poor repair work the 1st 2nd or 3rd time, that's another story.....

The slide wear was reported on the first or second visit (I think).

Dealer / pt tried tape, adjusting the slide, more tape, more adjustments and even the "its normal and not a problem"...really?

Think by the time the wear strips were installed it was close if not passed 1 year.

But like I said, it was in for the problem several times before and documented.

Thanks for the info

Unfortunately this time we have never had to have any work done to unit since day one so nothing to fall back on here.....

PT says we are SOL of course I knew that

Extended warranty we purchased will not cover either....technically it is not exactly listed in their exclusion section but it is not listed in the covered section either so guess who wins there?? Yep not us

I got the part numbers from our dealer to order the strips and after a very lengthy phone call with a local RV mobile tech it will be repaired in the spring when temps are warmer for proper adhesion.

We will be doing both of the large living room slides at that time.

In addition, the tech recommends removing all of the useless Darco wrap on the underside and sealcoat the wood subfloor with a garage floor or rubberized truck bed coating after installing the slide strips. Seems to be the most productive fix...tech said wrap is the worst design ever. He kept calling it a "bag" which is pretty accurate actually in the design process and will hold water if there is any void for water intrusion. This will be fixed at our expense and will result in NO MORE recommendations to buy a PT unit from us - we were 100% satisfied up to this ongoing issue that PT refuses to acknowledge

The Sanibel we were looking at for an upgrade next year is OFF the list so it looks like a new Silverback will be our new digs! After a thorough inspection of the bottom slide construction of course 😊

PS - going to cancel the balance of approx two years left on extended warranty as well after more investigation of the exclusion section...very misleading info from dealer - live and learn that lesson

Hopefully that $$ will help offset cost of repairs 👍🏻

Extended warranties always favor the seller/dealer not the customer

BYE BYE PRIME TIME - it's been real enlightening - buyer beware !!

Old 11-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
Thanks for the info

Unfortunately this time we have never had to have any work done to unit since day one so nothing to fall back on here.....

PT says we are SOL of course I knew that

Extended warranty we purchased will not cover either....technically it is not exactly listed in their exclusion section but it is not listed in the covered section either so guess who wins there?? Yep not us

I got the part numbers from our dealer to order the strips and after a very lengthy phone call with a local RV mobile tech it will be repaired in the spring when temps are warmer for proper adhesion.

We will be doing both of the large living room slides at that time.

In addition, the tech recommends removing all of the useless Darco wrap on the underside and sealcoat the wood subfloor with a garage floor or rubberized truck bed coating after installing the slide strips. Seems to be the most productive fix...tech said wrap is the worst design ever. He kept calling it a "bag" which is pretty accurate actually in the design process and will hold water if there is any void for water intrusion.

Guess Im trying to wrap my head around the rubberized truck bed coating.
Im not so sure that's the way to go here.

You might want to read this post from the rvguy, it explains the different type of slide materials. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post457231

There is also several different type of wear strips. Some are flimsy pos so beware.
This is the part number that I used on my slide and its still holding up fine.(PT part #10F16032A) Do note; Im on seasonal site for the last 2.5 seasons and my slides dont get used much. Im sure the slide with the strips have cycled 100 times or so in the past tho without issues. We also use slideslickers on the floor inside. I treat the darco wrap with 303 aerospace to help reduce friction.

Not so sure the truck bed coating is going to hold on to the underside of the slide. Has this tech done this type of job before?

Im with you, never again for the darcrowrapcrap. Ya know when we're out looking at campers it's one of the first things I look for. "Whats under your slide"

Good luck and do keep us posted!

Zelda the campin dog
Old 11-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #18

Yes the tech has done this - he said the wrap acts like a bag holding in moisture

Once the wrap is compromised it will not be the same....as it will not seal since the wrap is no longer fully adhered to the subfloor

The undercoating would seal the OSB material on the slide floor

Footnote - i got a late evening phone call from service mgr at dealer tonite - he is very interested in my issue as my emails were forwarded to all of their managers today by someone ! He asked for some pictures sent to his email....evidently he didnt get them in all my emails today 😊

No promises of course but we are not done yet - fingers crossed and i will keep everyone posted

Old 11-10-2016, 09:04 PM   #19

We are seasonal as well which is why it took so long to appear

They gave me different part numbers than the 10A ....one for left edge and one for right - cost of 37.95 for the set

Old 11-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #20

The time has come for the dreaded underside wear

I have read every word on this forum about this issue and have relayed all i could to PT and the dealer also about how widespread this problem is

PT flat out refused to acknowledge the problem has existed since they started building and are still using the same junk process

The removal of that darco wrap will require something to seal the wood - we are investigating having LineX applied - lifetime warranty and extremely durable - the slide strips will be installed then we will seal the wood

Unless the dealer and Cornerstone decide to come through with some help