Old 04-21-2015, 01:26 PM   #31

Just get it done and get over with it !
Sit back and relax

***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:35 PM   #32

guys, im fixing this tonight..wish me luck...something should be easy... now, called dealer and he recommend that i use putty tape and not butyl tape..says putty tape is white and butyl is black and all they ever use under trim is putty tape..is putty tape ok to use before i go down and get it?

Old 04-21-2015, 01:47 PM   #33

I really could not tell that much of a difference in the two pics. One clearly had some silicone sealer applied and the other did not. I could not see any large gaps but I believe you that they are there.

I think your right about too thick under puddy. Take it off, clean it up and then use an appropriate thickness of puddy.

Good luck.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #34

Take screw out.......put some sealant in hole....tap a piece of doweling into hole (same size as hole) and then replace screw............J
Old 04-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #35

Im leaving for dealer in one hour

they have black butyl tape and normal white putty tape... which one am i better off using?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
they have black butyl tape and normal white putty tape... which one am i better off using?
Pick the one that will put your mind at ease.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #37

The Trim is done!!!!!

wahooeee... ok, I just finished the Trim that i was freaking about. Not the greatest art work in the world but i did it and i know its done..If it leaks and ruins me 10 years from now at least I know i tried.
it took me longer to get the trim off with all of the putty tape that mobile tech put on.. took me almost 1 hour to clean it up.. Dealer gave me 3/4 inch 1/8 thickness butyl tape.. Only thing was that might concern me but im not gonna think about it is that with the thin butyl tape it did not ooz out..none of it did.. but when i look at factory trim on other side i dont see any of that oozed out either. and the other issue i had just like i feared is the new screw hole that the tech drilled the screw stripped..it was the very last screw that i put in.. All i did was pushed two toothpicks right into the hole right thru the trim and hand tightned that screw..it then screwed in..
I also got a thing of Proflex...stuff is a PITA... but it looks like it will seal...i have no doubt that the proflex alone will keep water out of that trim even if the butyl tape didnt ooz like it should, i put a nice bead of proflex on top of the trim..I cant see water getting past that proflex...
I will post pics this weekend of it when im camping, it started raining as i was finishing the proflex so i put the slide in..im not touching the slide now till camp friday. And the trim is flush to the slide just like the factory one is..
Like i said it doesnt look perfect, trying to rub proflex with my finger was a real PITA and some smeared... but i dont care.. i will now keep a thing of proflex in the camper and that trim i will just keep eye on it every few months and add proflex as needed if it ever cracks... thanks for all the help.. I am feeling good.... if anyone has anything negative or concerns about the butyl or toothpics go ahead and post it..... i feel good...
Old 04-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #38
Site Team

Thumbs up now crack open a cold one

2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #39

Finally!!! Now go find something other than your RV to worry about. You've been a mess with this repair. Lol
Old 04-21-2015, 10:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Finally!!! Now go find something other than your RV to worry about. You've been a mess with this repair. Lol
He can join us over on the thread worrying about wheel bearings.