Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #21

Thanks dan

yeah, i always had some troubles with the slide, but this is different..it actaully jumps now when it hits that roller... Maybe its just in my head and playing tricks on me... and maybe when i redue the trim and it still jumps then i know it wasnt that.. could be my mind playing tricks... but i think i will always question that trim unless i do it myself.. knock on wood, i dont think even myself can mess it up...
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
You posted the below last year in May. Seems this may not be a new problem caused the latest repair.

Seems to me that the factory used the wrong screws to begin with.....on both sides. Since there is a roller there which I assume is SUPPOSED to guide the slide, the factory should have used flat head screws!

I would replace all the screws with flat head screws as OC suggested. Since there doesn't seem to be any leaks, I would just leave the trim stuck in place and replace each screw one at a time.....easy.....easy. And then, sit back and
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #23

Guys, if i decide to just replace one screw at a time like suggested, do i just take an old screw out, take it to hardware store and ask for a flat screw the same size, and then how do i get it back in to make sure its sealed. because now wont i mess up the screw hole where the tape was? do i put silicone on the screw and screw them in one by one? i dont mind doing it this way either, nor do i mind taking it off and using one layer of putty tape, im just afraid if i take each screw off its gonna screw up that nice seal now and im comprising it and then im better off taking and retaping the trim again..
Old 04-21-2015, 11:25 AM   #24

this is the roller im talking about..this was from last week before we took and redid the trim... (Not the white roller on bottom).. you can see a support roller behind that wiper seal... that is what is catching the screws.. and when the slide goes over this every time it hits a screw the whole slide looks to shift alittle bit the opposite way... something looks like it will end up breaking.. i dont think the slides are designed to move left and right..you can see and notice it just a tad when it hits that.. Maybe its normal and always did that from day one and im just looking for it more now..im not sure..
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0630.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	74873
Old 04-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #25

MY theory......If the problem is minor "fix it yourself and be happy with a good job"""" Forget about warranty and the dealer!!!!! J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
Guys, if i decide to just replace one screw at a time like suggested, do i just take an old screw out, take it to hardware store and ask for a flat screw the same size, and then how do i get it back in to make sure its sealed. because now wont i mess up the screw hole where the tape was? do i put silicone on the screw and screw them in one by one? i dont mind doing it this way either, nor do i mind taking it off and using one layer of putty tape, im just afraid if i take each screw off its gonna screw up that nice seal now and im comprising it and then im better off taking and retaping the trim again..

I think if you do one screw at a time, you won't break the seal.....the other screws will be keeping the trim in place. And YES, put a little sealant on the threads of the new screws. This will also help seal them in place and lock them in so they don't work themselves loose so easily.

Edit: And yes, I just checked my trailer and my trim pieces have flat head screws. The assembler at the factory definetly used the wrong screws!!
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #27

maybe i will do both... I think it is best for me to take off the whole trim and put one piece of tape in there.. i compared pictures of before and after and there is a noticeable difference in the gap..i would say more then 1/8 of inch difference..I am shocked that an extra layer of putty tape would do that and not just ooz out, not unless the screwgun wasnt as strong as the factory one... but probably take this one off, add one layer and also get flat screws...best of both worlds..then that roller wont touch the side at all..
Old 04-21-2015, 12:15 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would hand tighten the screws into the existing holes to prevent strip out. That way you are not trying to replace with larger screws and more pain.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #29

Quote:
i ran the slide in and out.. because even that little 1/8 inch difference in thickness it now rubs against the little roller that is on the side of the slide and now the slide is jerking back and forth coming in... im gonna have to just take it to my dealer and have them do it.. i think the mobile tech put too much putty tape in there and now that trim is just a tad too thick....
if YOU aren't happy with the repair take it back to the dealer and have them fix it and fix it right. no need to go camping and worry about it
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:24 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to B and B
The op called a mobile guy to repair it. I would call the mobile guy back to fix it IMHO.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #31

Just get it done and get over with it !
Sit back and relax
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #32

guys, im fixing this tonight..wish me luck...something should be easy... now, called dealer and he recommend that i use putty tape and not butyl tape..says putty tape is white and butyl is black and all they ever use under trim is putty tape..is putty tape ok to use before i go down and get it?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #33

I really could not tell that much of a difference in the two pics. One clearly had some silicone sealer applied and the other did not. I could not see any large gaps but I believe you that they are there.

I think your right about too thick under puddy. Take it off, clean it up and then use an appropriate thickness of puddy.

Good luck.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:11 PM   #34

Take screw out.......put some sealant in hole....tap a piece of doweling into hole (same size as hole) and then replace screw............J
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #35

Im leaving for dealer in one hour

they have black butyl tape and normal white putty tape... which one am i better off using?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #36

Quote:
they have black butyl tape and normal white putty tape... which one am i better off using?
Pick the one that will put your mind at ease.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #37

The Trim is done!!!!!

wahooeee... ok, I just finished the Trim that i was freaking about. Not the greatest art work in the world but i did it and i know its done..If it leaks and ruins me 10 years from now at least I know i tried.
it took me longer to get the trim off with all of the putty tape that mobile tech put on.. took me almost 1 hour to clean it up.. Dealer gave me 3/4 inch 1/8 thickness butyl tape.. Only thing was that might concern me but im not gonna think about it is that with the thin butyl tape it did not ooz out..none of it did.. but when i look at factory trim on other side i dont see any of that oozed out either. and the other issue i had just like i feared is the new screw hole that the tech drilled the screw stripped..it was the very last screw that i put in.. All i did was pushed two toothpicks right into the hole right thru the trim and hand tightned that screw..it then screwed in..
I also got a thing of Proflex...stuff is a PITA... but it looks like it will seal...i have no doubt that the proflex alone will keep water out of that trim even if the butyl tape didnt ooz like it should, i put a nice bead of proflex on top of the trim..I cant see water getting past that proflex...
I will post pics this weekend of it when im camping, it started raining as i was finishing the proflex so i put the slide in..im not touching the slide now till camp friday. And the trim is flush to the slide just like the factory one is..
Like i said it doesnt look perfect, trying to rub proflex with my finger was a real PITA and some smeared... but i dont care.. i will now keep a thing of proflex in the camper and that trim i will just keep eye on it every few months and add proflex as needed if it ever cracks... thanks for all the help.. I am feeling good.... if anyone has anything negative or concerns about the butyl or toothpics go ahead and post it..... i feel good...
Old 04-21-2015, 07:26 PM   #38
Site Team

Thumbs up now crack open a cold one

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #39

Finally!!! Now go find something other than your RV to worry about. You've been a mess with this repair. Lol
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todouble View Post
Finally!!! Now go find something other than your RV to worry about. You've been a mess with this repair. Lol
He can join us over on the thread worrying about wheel bearings.