Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #1

The trim is done!!!

I am the one that was going nuts last week..this is the finished product from the mobile repair guy.. If you look at first pick it is from the trim from the other side.. from factory its nice and flush with the slide.. i know there is one layer of putty tape in there.. the repaired side that he fixed the other day he put two layers of putty tape and a bead of silicon or caulking... the factory side is nice and flush against the siding and the fix that he did you can see is not flush because of all the putty... is this a reason for concern..im starting to really ocd and freak out again about this...Should I leave this alone or should i have dealer redo all this? I just dont want this to leak.
Also, will that added thickness now cause issues with the slide going in and out in the future? im so sorry..supposed to leave friday for my seasonal site..Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0649.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	74838

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0650.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	74839
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #2

Relax... Take it easy and breathe.

It's fine. Go have a beer and enjoy the seasonal.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #3

thanks

Just one beer? After this week I need a case. That solves my OCD. Haha.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #4

There is an issue with this now

i ran the slide in and out.. because even that little 1/8 inch difference in thickness it now rubs against the little roller that is on the side of the slide and now the slide is jerking back and forth coming in... im gonna have to just take it to my dealer and have them do it.. i think the mobile tech put too much putty tape in there and now that trim is just a tad too thick....
Old 04-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #5

this summer when it is hot the putty will compress. Give the screws a turn then and leave it alone. We told you to just shoot a stainless steel self tapping screw in it last week. This is the one side that will probably not leak.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #6

Looks pretty good to me. Sure won't leak. Isn't that roller there for that reason? I'm not really familiar with your set up.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:02 PM   #7

Not sure stormrider

I have the cable slide. there are four rollers, one on each side underneath that the slide rolls over and then i have one on each side that those screws roll over..problem is now that this trim is not totally flush against the slide like the other side that extra 1/8 inch puts the screws past that roller and now when i bring the slide in the slide jerks everytime that roller hits a screw..it never did that before. I should have just listened and done it myself.. I have a bad habit of messing things up when i do things myself, but after watching that mobile guy do it it looked very easy. If i were to do it myself i would get a roll of Butyl tape and not putty tape and only use one layer and then get some proflex and not use silicone like he did... I am gonna wait for dealer to call me tommorrow.. i sent him pictures today... see what he thinks.. I just dont want to ruin those rollers or the cables over something so stupid.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
Site Team

Agree with all the above. As silver said give the screws a few turns on hot day. I asked the other day about the roller on the side of the slide. I dont recall seeing one on my 2670bhs. But would think it may be a guide roller and by design to make contact with the side of the slide.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #9

Plato, it is a guide roller per accuslide company.. Its located between the rubber wipers on each side.. Before the screws were not touching the roller, now screws are touching the roller and its putting enough force to bounce the slide around every screw it hits.. im not sure i like that...seems like something will break with the force i would think. No??
Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
Plato, it is a guide roller per accuslide company.. Its located between the rubber wipers on each side.. Before the screws were not touching the roller, now screws are touching the roller and its putting enough force to bounce the slide around every screw it hits.. im not sure i like that...seems like something will break with the force i would think. No??
Hmm, can you tighten on the screws just a little? You could try warming the area with a blow drier first.
Or just redo it yourself to your liking The more you can do yourself the happier your gonna be, less headaches and that beer will taste better. This should be a can of corn (easy)to do.
My 2670 slide jerked a fair amount of the time

Zelda the campin dog
Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 PM   #11

You could try replacing the screws with truss head screws. Just might give you enough clearance.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:36 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
You could try replacing the screws with truss head screws. Just might give you enough clearance.
Truss head flat and countersink a little deeper to get the screw head flush or slightly below the trim surface. Easy fix.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #13

good idea guys..if my dealer doesnt want or cant do this week, then im gonna wait till friday or saturday and do it up to camp... gonna be cold but what the heck.. If i do myself i have two options, either replace all the screws or i can take the whole trim off again, and this time just use one layer of actual butyl tape and not putty tape, im sure one layer of tape will get it a bit more flush.. i will then use proflex on top instead of silicone.
I watched the mobile guy do this and it seemed pretty easy...will i have issues with screws stripping now since they have been removed a few times?
Old 04-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
I watched the mobile guy do this and it seemed pretty easy...will i have issues with screws stripping now since they have been removed a few times?
If ya do just put some tooth picks in the hole or some silicone.

Zelda the campin dog
Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
If ya do just put some tooth picks in the hole or some silicone.
Toothpicks or wooden matches and glue, let it set for a couple of hours and install the new flat truss head stainless steel screws in the deeper countersunk holes.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:37 AM   #16

The more you play with it the more you are asking for trouble! I see the rabbit hole and I think you have been playing very close to it given your own stated skill level. Wait for outside temp to warm up and tighten screws a turn or two.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #17

Didn't your original post start with a missing screw that had been yanked out? Now you mention the screws bounce the slide when going in/out. It sounds like the bouncing may have existed before and that is why you were missing a screw.

Maybe it is easiest to start with just swapping the screws to a flush/flat head screw so there's nothing for the rollers to bump on. You don't have to undo what the mobile tech guy did. See what that does and go from there.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #18

Kohai, yeah, started with missing screw.. but what happens now is befoer there was only one layer of putty tape in there and now there are two layers and its caused the trim to sit out a tad and now it slams into that roller.
Shop manager from dealer called me.. Told me that he didnt want me to waste the $60-$80 that he would charge me to fix this when i can remove and redo myself..He was very nice.. told me he can do it thursday but im wasting money.. told me to come down to the shop, he will give me a roll of butyl tape and proflex for free and to redo it myself... He told me if those screws are slamming into the roller then the two layers of putty tape are probably too much and to just add one layer and get that trim flush with the slide... he told me would take me 20 min max and that even myself cant mess it up.LOL... if i do, he said they will look at it this october when i bring it in...
I am kind of looking forward to this. im not a handy person but if i can fix this myself i think it will give me some confidence if i ever need to do anymore work, plus i will have some butyl tape and proflex on hand... hopefully its easy getting that silicone off there that tech put on.. i hear thats a pain on its own getting that off... wish me luck..hehe.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:18 AM   #19

Gonna do it myself damn it..and then i will be proud and then maybe next time something so small wont seem so large.. I just need to build confidence... I am only OCD over this camper... im not like this with anything else.. i have 12 more years to pay on this and i can not trade it in until that point..so i have to keep it... and every board im on has me so god darn scared that if water gets anywhere then my camper is shot..thats the only reason i freak out about this.
Oh and besides..if i screw this simple thing up, there are plenty of maintence men at the campground who im sure can do this in there sleep..
Old 04-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #20

Quote:
i ran the slide in and out.. because even that little 1/8 inch difference in thickness it now rubs against the little roller that is on the side of the slide and now the slide is jerking back and forth coming in... im gonna have to just take it to my dealer and have them do it.. i think the mobile tech put too much putty tape in there and now that trim is just a tad too thick....
You posted the below last year in May. Seems this may not be a new problem caused the latest repair.

Quote:
my slide still shakes and vibrates when i open and close it..it rocks the camper.. i lubricated everything. dealer said this is all normal..maybe it is...