Old 03-28-2013, 10:33 PM   #31

Good luck finding an RV that doesn't use those frames.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I have a Surveyor 264 and the storage area doors are made of some kind of plastic core, there are holes in the top and bottom and when you open them they drip water that has not passed all the way through , I find this annoying but never considered it a huge problem as neither the core nor inner and outer skins can rot and there is never any water inside.
My doors are like this too. I wipe the bottom with a paper towel and go about my business. The water is outside of your trailer according to you and is a non issue according to PT (I agree with them).

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
... And I have to add:
Why is it no surprise the name Lippert came up again?
Ya know, the more I think about this the more I think it's very unfair.

The name comes up everywhere because they are one of a very few component makers, and they make most of what goes into most RVs.

It's very unusual to see someone post good things, like "My RV frame did a wonderful job today", or "How great that my RV door stayed closed and kept us warm and dry today".

The result: You probably have a very incorrect view of what is probably a good company. They didn't get to be in everyone's RV by being the worst at what they do. I imagine there were a lot of other competitors who made lower-quality stuff and have gone out of business.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #34

I do not have anything up my sleeve, I just want to make sure that my camper will last as long as I have to pay for it, I hope I have no problems with this camper at all!. But please dont tell me that a leaking door is normal. I do take pride in everything I own and work very hard for the money I make (FireFighter FullTime/Deputy Sheriff Part-Time) over 80 hours per week.. I do also keep my equipment up and check weekly for any leaks ect.. Thats all I have to say about Prime Time.

On the other hand my dealer has bent over backwards to make this right from day, but has to take direction from PT due to warranty issues..
Old 03-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Ya know, the more I think about this the more I think it's very unfair.

The name comes up everywhere because they are one of a very few component makers, and they make most of what goes into most RVs.

It's very unusual to see someone post good things, like "My RV frame did a wonderful job today", or "How great that my RV door stayed closed and kept us warm and dry today".

The result: You probably have a very incorrect view of what is probably a good company. They didn't get to be in everyone's RV by being the worst at what they do. I imagine there were a lot of other competitors who made lower-quality stuff and have gone out of business.
They got the job most likely because they were the low bidder.
You cannot tell me that a main frame made up of three pieces of tin welded together is as good as a hot-rolled I-beam. But it is obviously a lot cheaper to make.
I suppose it is adequate, but from the stories of frames cracking and pin boxes collapsing, the frames are obviously barely adequate.
My old fifth wheel was built like a tank, and I would gladly pay for that quality if it was available.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Here's our position:

We have specificed that our Outside Kitchen Doors be built with fiberglass, aluminum, and closed cell foam ONLY. And that's how this door in question is made. We KNOW some water will invariably get inside the door frame over time thru both the handle and flange. Wish it wasn't the case, but that will eventually happen. So when it does, we want it to drain out thru the frame.

It wouldn't surprise me if most door manufacturers would say that their doors are sealed sufficiently around the flange so water will not get inside the frame. That's their intent I'm sure. However, it doesn't always work that way in real life so they make provisions like weep holes. In our case, we make additional provisions by not including wood in the core.

In this case, it's our understanding (and confirmed by the dealer) that the water is draining out thru the holes in the door frame where the striker is located as intended. We are being told that there is no water going INTO the unit, it only leaks out from the frame when opened. This process is similar to what you have on a window or entrance door as they both have "weep holes" to allow for intrusive water to be drained back outside your unit.

We recognize that sometimes baggage doors "leak" for other reasons - defect from the supplier or bad installation by us. However, we can't confirm this is the case here. To be honest, we did a poor job of asking questions when the original claim came in or we might not have replaced a door that may have been performing normally.

If this explanation of performance is not satisfactory, our options are to try to apply additional "seal" around the flange of the door where it meets the fiberglass "face" of the door and around the handle of the door. This might stop water intrusion 100% but only temporarily. I would expect that over time the silicone would detereriorate and we are back to square one. Plus, it would look bad and be a dirt magnet.

It's our opinion that we should supply a door that is capable of accepting small amounts of water without deterioration of the door and a door which provides for an escape of the water when it happens. We think that's the case here.

Attached is a cross section of the door.

Hope this helps.

PTM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outside kitchen door 001.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	26644  
Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #37

You have one very minor issue and your title is:

Think Twice Before Buying Anything Prime Time!

This is why I think you have an alternate motive here.
You also posted the same titled thread over at RVNET.
This just seems a bit extreme to me over a minor issue.

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #38

Some people are determined not to be happy.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #39

RV GUY thanks for the post above your wording makes more logic then what Roger had told me over the phone and thank you for the pictures of the cut away door that makes mind rest. I worry alot over little things and when I was told by Roger that this was it I felt I was up a Creek by myself with no help to a MAJOR problem to me..

Thanks Again for your post.

Joe Greenwell
Old 03-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky joe View Post
RV GUY thanks for the post above your wording makes more logic then what Roger had told me over the phone and thank you for the pictures of the cut away door that makes mind rest. I worry alot over little things and when I was told by Roger that this was it I felt I was up a Creek by myself with no help to a MAJOR problem to me..

Thanks Again for your post.

Joe Greenwell
Well not to start trouble, then as you stated put in writing to ease your mind. Why wouldn't they do that? I understand what they have told you but then put it in writing for you.......

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote