Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #1

Think Twice Before Buying Anything Prime Time! SOLVED BY PT

Im sorry for having to post this after believing that Prime Time was a top notch. But boy was I wrong after months of having a leaking outside kitchen door on our 319 Lacrosse talking to Roger many times and Jeff talking to our dealer which is Northside in Lexington. Prime Time told me today that the door is fine and it is ok for the door to leak in itself... YES Roger told me that, I asked for that to be placed in writing so when the door rots off they could replace it under warranty. They told me they wouldn't do that. My dealer has told me that that's wrong and would not let it off the lot and to give them a few days to see if they could figure it out for me.. THANK YOU NORTHSIDE! its a shame that Prime Time does not care that much for their products or customers..

THINK TWICE BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING PRIME TIME!

GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE? I THINK NOT!
ky joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of your problems. Prime Time seems like a stand up company, I'm surprised they would do something like this.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #3

I was shocked when they just dropped the ball in my lap today, After saying all winter long they would make the leaking door right, Then the door maker tells them this is ok for it to leak about 1/4 of a cup of rain water, then they jump on board with them saying the door is ok. They replaced the first door for the same problem.....SAD!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

May I ask just how the rainwater is getting in the door?
Is it not sealed properly at the top?
Doesn't sound right to me.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky joe View Post
I was shocked when they just dropped the ball in my lap today, After saying all winter long they would make the leaking door right, Then the door maker tells them this is ok for it to leak about 1/4 of a cup of rain water, then they jump on board with them saying the door is ok. They replaced the first door for the same problem.....SAD!
Sorry to hear that, as you very well know a door should not leak. I would not settle for that answer. Why have a door?.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
phat phrog stunt crew

well, if its ok for the door to leak 1/4 cup of water, how much is an acceptable amount from around say a window or the roof? do any prime time factory reps come on this forum? if so, i suggest we all send him/her a freindly cajoling about customer service. i think a point can be made to whom it may concern that this kind of workmanship wont be tolerated.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #7

Sorry to hear of your problems. Prime time has been nothing but excellent in their dealings with me and nearly everyone on this forum. I think someone looking to buy a Prime Time product should look at the overall satisfaction of all owners. I also believe your dealer and Prime Time will find a solution to your satisfaction.

2008 F-250 PSD 4X4 Pullrite SuperGlide 15K
2012 Crusader 290RLT Touring Edition
Cascade Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #8

Where is the water going when it leaks in? If it just runs out a drain in the door back to the outside then that would seem ok (weird but ok). I guess you wouldn't be concerned about it if it was not coming inside the RV.

RV Guy, could you explain the rationale behind this?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #9

Thanks for your replies, the water comes into the door and then stands in the interior of the door until you open it up then out pours the water from the bottom of the door.. water is in the door itself between the outer fiberglass and the aluminum inner skin... Im afraid that over time it will rot out the door but Roger from Prime Time says its suppose to do that.. I say come on I know better then that. Im very upset with them, I paid a lot of money to have something that leaks and I cant get anyone from Prime Time to Step up and make it right.

Also I found out that 3 LaCrosses at Northside on the lot are leaking just like mine and someone is going to buy a problem that Prime Time wont fix that's SAD!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 PM   #10

I have had someone email me that said they believe that the door manufacture Lippert and Prime Time knew the door leaking was going to be a issue and that's why they have a different style striker plate for the latch where its mounted on the trim so water wouldn't leak into the trailer itself.... If that's the truth that's sad to know they placed a bandaid over a problem they couldn't fix before production.... (wanting fast money over quality and customers )
Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #11

I am getting some water in my door and this weekend I am removing the slam latch handle and I am going to seal it with butyl tape. There is no sealant between the handle and the door skin. I am pretty sure that will take care of it.
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #12

hmmm....weird...what year is this trailer? my 2012 has seen EXTENSIVE west texas rain and wind, and i have never had an issue with the door. Honestly other than a few complaints about a top drip rail so water runs off while the door is open, i have never seen an issue on any forum. Im not saying your problem does not exist at all, im just trying to understand what is different or could be differnt between your model and mine? any ideas as to possible difference?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #13

First weekend of Spring break this year we had some heavy rains in Central Texas. I don't remember seeing any water in the doorway when I got up that morning. Probably because I wasn't looking for it. I will be looking out for it the next time out if we get rain, which doesn't happen much in central Texas.

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #14

Ours is a 2013 Lacrosse 319 water pools in the door itself and also in the rear cup where the latch holds the door closed our dealer has resealed the 1st and 2nd door on the request of PT.

The only saving grace for us is my dealer NORTHSIDE RV in Lexington KY says this is not normal and is going the extra mile trying to figure it out, without the help from PT. SHAME ON PT!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #15

Joe,
I understand that you're upset, but let's look at one potential view of this reality. (Note that this is speculation only.)

I imagine the door is plastic & aluminum so it's probably not going to rot. PrimeTime doesn't make the door. If we assume there is a design leak in the door, all they could do is to replace it with the same door, which is going to have the same problem. Maybe we can assume that the door maker is working on a fix for this, but that's not going to help you (at least for a while).

I think the best that can be hoped for is to have someone with some handyman skills:
1) Figure out where it's leaking and try to seal that (as another poster has suggested).
2) Drill a small drain hole in an appropriate place to let any water out that does get in.

Perhaps the door maker could tell someone where/how to do those things once they figure it out, but it's probably something a tech at your dealer could do pretty easily.

In the near term, I doubt there's anything that PrimeTime can really do (so perhaps your post is a little unfair).

These RV manufacturers have to have a partnership with a relatively small set of suppliers. They can't do everything themselves. You could just as likely be having this same problem with another manufacturer (who almost certainly uses the same door maker).

It's not a perfect world in RV land (the customer base is too small compared to the auto industry).
It's largely a matter of selecting the "better" builder because you're not going to find a perfect one.

PrimeTime does have a good reputation for taking care of us. Once you get past this door problem, I suspect you'll be the beneficiary of some of that good customer care.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #16

Hope they figure out a fix. I will be looking next time. Thanks for the heads-up

My first
kho6658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #17

is the door on the 319 identical to the 318? im assuming so....?...i agree with barry above.....i mean its not like prime has been absent and ambivilent to your situation....I totally understand your frustration with something new that has a minor issue...you want to pay for something and have it all be perfect....but with these trailers, that rarely if EVER happens unfortunantly..

i understand you didnt ask our opinion, but by posting on this forum you kinda did, so im gonna throw my 2 cents in.....

If i were in your situation, and dealing with something that is pretty much as simple as finding where the water is getting in and sealing it up, i would just fix it myself......i mean honestly you bought the thing to enjoy it and getting things done through the dealer is usually a beauracratic and time consuming process no matter how helpful the dealer is. At the end of the day that will not only frustrate you, but cut into your enjoyment of your investment.

anyway, im always sad when someone has a problem with thier trailer, as prime and my dealer have BOTH been beyond exceptional with any small issues i have had. And its not just me.....overall it seems that the vast majority of people love thier prime product. I hope your issue is solved to your satisfaction, and please let us know as to what the final fix is.......weather it is yours, the dealers, or primes.....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #18

I understand that PT did not make the door, But please don't tell me that its made to leak and the door mfg Lippert says its normal, Of course they are going to pass the buck they cant make a door that does not leak, (at least two of them for me!) and PT wont put in writing that the stand behind this finding, I told Roger with PT I'll except this finding if PT puts in writing that if water damages this door they would replace it and Roger said they couldn't COME ON! stand behind what you sell! Im the poor sap that bought this.... SAD VERY SAD!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky joe View Post
Thanks for your replies, the water comes into the door and then stands in the interior of the door until you open it up then out pours the water from the bottom of the door.. water is in the door itself between the outer fiberglass and the aluminum inner skin... Im afraid that over time it will rot out the door but Roger from Prime Time says its suppose to do that.. I say come on I know better then that. Im very upset with them, I paid a lot of money to have something that leaks and I cant get anyone from Prime Time to Step up and make it right.

Also I found out that 3 LaCrosses at Northside on the lot are leaking just like mine and someone is going to buy a problem that Prime Time wont fix that's SAD!
I still can not believe that they were telling you that, I know that there is a lot of this model out there in use. If this is normal then all the units should have the same problem not just yours. I agree that if you are collecting water then their is a problem. I know that I do not want a leak anywhere inside it will cause a problem later down the road. Stay on them and tell them that their answer is plain BS. I just watched a video on Y-tube. NO DOOR SHOULD LEAK PERIOD. Don't give up, that's what they want you to do. Makes you wounder about people !!!!! The Video showed a rubber gasket around the door, so why have that?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #20

Things are not constant. All units probably don't have the problem because of a design change somewhere along the road. It sounds like newer ones do.

Did they design it to leak? Of course not! All of us make mistakes.

I'm not surprised that they don't want to sign any agreements that "legal" hasn't approved. That could be a quagmire.

The water is not going into the coach...only into the door.

The one thing I fault PTM for, if in fact it happened, is not agreeing that it's a design problem. It makes people look a lite crazy to say that a leak is "normal". Crazy not good.