Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #1

Thinking of buying Avenger 27bbs "scared"

New to forums and RV'ing in general. Wife and I are looking to get a new 2016 Avenger 27 bbs. We have been searching forums left and right for info and to be honest we are very scared right now.

It seems like the overall quality of construction on most TT's is very poor. We have read more posts about leaks and equipment malfunctions on NEW campers.

This just blows my mind that there are so many issues.

Would love some advice to easy my nerves. This is a big investment. And to be honest, I am not getting the warm and fuzzy from the dealer. They seem more interested in making a buck then making the experience enjoyable.

Also, as for financing. We agreed with dealer for 800$ down... we put 400 down yesterday and agreed to the other 400 at signing. The dealer said it should take a couple hours to hear back from bank and they would call us.

That was at 2:30pm yesterday. They closed at 6pm and they did not call us at all. It is 1:30 today and still no word from them.... is this normal? I do not mind waiting, but a call from the dealer would be great to let us know they are still working it... feel like they are leaving us hanging. Thanks
ItsPH8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #2

First of all, we have an Avenger 27BBS and we are enjoying it. We have had it for close to a year and have added a lot of mods to it. Sorry for your trouble, but sad to say but this type attitude seems to be not that uncommon with travel trailer dealers and their service. My advice would be to pick up your deposit and go find a dealer who cares.
EYEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #3

EYEMAN... Thanks for your feedback. I am glad that your enjoying your Avenger!!

Still have not heard back from the dealer... Does it normally take 2-3 days to get approved? I know with car dealers, they can have an answer in 1-2 hours.

This is the 1st time I have tried to purchase a TT, so I am not sure how long the financing process takes.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #4

You are right to assume that they are not built very well. If you can't laugh when things break, don't buy a trailer.

It's been an immensely rewarding hobby for my family, regardless of this. But only you know you.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #5

If you think the selling process is bad wait for warranty service with all RV dealers. Car dealers are wonderful compared RV dealers. We have dealt with three different Rv dealers on three different trailers and have not been happy yet. If you still buy check for financing with credit union or insurance company for better rate. Do not let dealer sell aftermarket warranty as they are rip off. FR has a second year warranty on most units for $150. Just my 2 cents good luck.
67cudafb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 08:02 PM   #6

Thanks all for the feedback... much appreciated.

Just a little overwhelming for a first time TT buyer.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #7

When went bought our tracer last month, we had approval in less than 30 minutes. This was through our credit union but should be no different elsewhere. Do to the volume of business the dealer sells, they were able to get us a rate below the lowest advertised rate by our credit union. We did buy the 5 year warranty only because we had bad bad luck with our previous used trailer. The warranty can be cancelled at any time for refund, and only added 10 bucks per month to my payment. It also provides roadside assistance, towing, tire coverage for trailer and tow vehicle, and more importantly, covers the slide and stabilizer Jacks. You are on your own for water damage though, which still scares me with fiberglass sided rvs and all the delamination horror stories you read about.
coolzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

Most trailers are built to be inexpensive and the manufacturers are largely competing on price, not quality.

If I were doing it again, I would look hard at Northwood Manufacturing (Arctic Fox, etc). Their reputation is a step up from others.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #9

Thank you all for your posts and advice.

We are going to hold off on getting a TT at this time...

again, thank you.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:10 AM   #10

Just keep in mind it is usually only the people with problems that post about it on the forums. I think this gives an unclear picture as to the quality overall of most trailers. Yes, they are not built like cars but then again they are not built by robots either so there will be differences in quality even between two identical models on the lot. You have to expect some problems during the first year as these minor issues are found and addressed but if you are vigilant on maintenence, a trailer will last for many years to come.

Don't discount the feeling of waking up in your mobile cabin in the woods, looking outside and admiring the river you are camped next to and opening the door to the smells of nature and camp fires. That sort of experience is worth it to me, and why I've been through 5 campers. Despite issues with all of them I just keep coming back. Building memories with my family and getting to take my cabin (trailer) anywhere that suits my fancy is priceless in my book. Hope you reconsider and don't get too discouraged by any negative comments in the forums, take it all with two grains of salt and learn from the horror stories so they don't become your own.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #11

You have to remember one thing about forums. That thing is happy people are out enjoying their travel trailer and the unhappy ones are on here posting. Due to this it leads one to believe that there are many more unhappy ones then happy ones. The truth is usually the opposite.

The best thing you can do is research the dealer to make sure they are ok in the form of customer service then do a thorough PDI. This is where problems are often caught and corrected. PDI PDI PDI I can't say it enough. Just know you will most likely have some sort of problem down the road. That's just the nature of the game! Owning a TT is great.

What was the reason you didn't get one if you don't mind me asking? Still scared, bad dealer, or just waiting?

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:28 AM   #12

I could post that I have had my trailer for 5 years, traveled 17,000 miles and have spent about 750 nights in it and it has never been back to the dealer for anything, but it wouldn't make for entertaining reading. Nothing has broke, nada.

It is overwhelming at first. If you choose to buy in the future best of luck to you.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:10 PM   #13
Dr Travel

I'd echo what coolzzy just posted. No need to back off from fear… Just find a better dealer. Financing - unless your credit is suspect - takes no longer than a couple of hours if your dealer is tech savvy. I used to sell RVs so am well aware of the quality of construction issues. Still, you are buying a house on wheels, and then subjecting it to hurricane winds every time you travel. Things will go wrong. FR does indeed offer a second year warranty for a mere $150. But you have about 30 days I think to send in the paperwork from time of delivery. So be quick!! Nothing like being on the road, freedom and in the middle of nature. The memories - both good and bad (which one day you will laugh at) are well worth it. If you need a good reliable trustworthy dealer, with aggressive pricing, let me know.
robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:20 PM   #14

we had a 2-014 Avenger 27rlss and loved it and loved the service from Forrest River. we traded it this year for a Forest River SUrveyor 5th wheel and love it as wehll. Forest River is great to work with so far, and our dealer os ok, but we always talk to Forest river on any issues we have. (currently have issue with oven which requires replacing the oven. our dealer told us they would call and get the oven in only to find out that they didn't so we are stll waiting. (found out they didn't by calling forest River) I sent FR the serial number nad the model number and all the emails from our dealer and now they are on top of it, had to order the oven from the manufacturer so waiting for it to arrive at the dealership) I highly recommend always being in contact with the manufacturer of the rv. We have never ordered one, never put a deposit down , and I never would. we look for what we want that is available on the lots and buy from that. just like I would never order a car and pay a deposit on it. If I give them any money up front they better have the unit there for me to pull off the lot. just the way I am. If I was to order one I would do it thru the manufacture, go to their shop and get it from them and buy the extended warranty. then check with your auto insurance as to what they will over and use that
as well
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsshots View Post
I'd echo what coolzzy just posted. No need to back off from fear… Just find a better dealer. Financing - unless your credit is suspect - takes no longer than a couple of hours if your dealer is tech savvy. I used to sell RVs so am well aware of the quality of construction issues. Still, you are buying a house on wheels, and then subjecting it to hurricane winds every time you travel. Things will go wrong. FR does indeed offer a second year warranty for a mere $150. But you have about 30 days I think to send in the paperwork from time of delivery. So be quick!! Nothing like being on the road, freedom and in the middle of nature. The memories - both good and bad (which one day you will laugh at) are well worth it. If you need a good reliable trustworthy dealer, with aggressive pricing, let me know.
I don't think FR offers the 2nd year warranty on the Crusader brand (Prime Time). I wish they did, I would have bought it for $150.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #16

I hope I didn't play any part in your decision. That wasn't my intention.

tragusa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #17

The 2nd year warranty is not available on prime time trailers, and for me the difference between a 3 year warranty and a 5 was like 200 bucks, so I left with the 5 year. If my trailer did not have a slide out and inaccessible enclosed underbelly, I would have passed on the extended warranty altogether. But those two things are not easily or inexpensively worked on. Don't forget most people will only own a trailer for 3 to 4 years before upgrading or going a different path. Extended warranties are transferable to the new owner which could be a big selling point for resale in the future. I'm only gonna own mine for 4 before I'll need to downsize when the kids lose interest.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #18
AvengerBob

Relax and enjoy

My wife and I bought an Avenger 27 RLS two months ago and could not be happier. We love the leather furniture and the layout of the trailer. We have been camping twice already with no issues at all. As another reader said - people that have had problems are more likely to post than those that have had no issues.
As far as your dealer - we were approved in 20 minutes - had exact interest rate (in the 4 something range) and exact amount of monthly payment. We were putting $5k down and have excellent credit so that may have helped.
Just to let you know dealers will really come down on rv prices. The so called MSRP of our unit was $32k or more. I offered 20,500 out the door (all taxes and other fees included) plus a weight distribution hitch included. Iwound up setteling on $21 out the door with everything including the hitch package.
If your dealer doesn't treat you right just look for another Prime Time dealer. Look on line and you can even make offers on line for the model you want.
Once you deal goes through - go on youtube and learn everything about RVing. Just do some searchs for things like towing tips, tips on things you will need etc and you will really learn.
On your first trip you will learn that everyone at the rv park is more than willing to help you learn anything and everything. I didn't even get mine parked before a neighbor came over and helped me park just right and set everything up.
To sum it up - don't worry - you will love the PT avenger. I highly recommend it.
bob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #19

Sorry to hear you have decided to back out for now. We bought a 2014 Avenger 27BBS new and have loved it. We did have some MINOR warranty issues that had to be fixed and it took forever, but we love it.We had a pop-up prior and some of our best vacations (we do still go on non-camping vacations) have been the camping ones. As for the dealers, they are hit and miss. We had a great salesman and finance guy when we bought ours and walked out the door with approval the same day we looked. Buying a TT was one of the best decisions we ever made. I personally have a addiction to modifications (as do many on here I believe). I strongly suggest you reconsider.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #20

thetanu539, I am seeking counciling now for TTMA(travel trailer modification addiction) Our Avenger ATI 27BBS has taken on a whole new appearance. From an electric fireplace to Ground Control remote leveling system. My wife says that I am enjoying the things I do to the trailer more than I do the basic use of it. Enjoy it, we have loved ours for the year that we have had it.
EYEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote