Old 06-16-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Tire Pressure - Prime time Crusader

OK...so I am aware that this subject gets re-visited several times, and I have looked through many responses, but I am still unsure of exactly what to do. I have the Crusader 351 REQ 5th wheel, and am currently running the original Power Max tires, inflated to 67psi. this is based on the recommendations of the service techs.

I am about to embark on a trip to Canada and am worrying myself sick about tire pressure. I'd really like to hear from other Crusader 5th wheel or other large 5th wheel units what their real life experience is.

I am tempted to up the pressure up to around 70, but am hesitant to go up to 80. I have made several 4-6 hour trips without any issues, and am actually quite comfortable with the current pressure. I keep my speed between 60-65 at the most.

At this point I just can't replace the tires, nor purchase/install a monitoring system, although I understand both will be in my future...the type of tire will open another whole can of worms for me.

Feedback appreciated!!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47
2017: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=2, Apr=3, May=6, June=6, July=6, Aug=6,Sept=3,
Running Total:190
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I run the sidewall pressure.

Answer's will be all over the place.
Do what makes you happy.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "9 nights"

Old 06-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
clr

I also run the sidwall max air pressure on the tire, in my case it is 80psi. I maintain that pressure in the tires all the time and have for years with no real tire problems. If you look at the tire sites the carrying capacity of the tire is less when the pressure is less. Large 5th wheels are very close to being overloaded on the tires so the max pressure is required IMO. If you want to run less pressure I would say that you should weigh the trailer when in travel condition and air the tires for that load range for your trip.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #4

It has always been suggested to me, by tire stores to inflate tires, to the yellow sticker on the vehicle.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
clr

That is true the tire stores will tell you to inflate tires to the pressure on the yellow sticker on the vehicle. But that info is for cars and light trucks that run with the tires lightly loaded for the tire type. Ask in a heavy truck tire place and you will get a somewhat different answer and will depend upon the weight being carried as I stated. Cars and light trucks run empty most of the time so ride comfort is the primary issue. RV's run loaded most of the time very near their max carry capacity. You can put your truck tires to the yellow sticker when you are not towing or carrying a load. Just remember to air the tires up in pressure when you are towing. RV never run lightly loaded so just leave them at max pressure or the pressure required for your weight.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Run max cold pressure and you will be much better off. Forget the yellow stickers, those are for ride comfort, not tire life.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #7

Thanks everybody for your opinions, I feel more confident now.

I am heading out this weekend to the storage facility to pre-load the truck and trailer. I'm going to bump the pressure up to 80 (and I believe that the sticker says 80 and the tires say 80) and give it a go.

I have always 'hand checked' the tires for excessive heat and visually inspected at each stop, and will continue that practice. I am slowly understanding the difference in tire types and what they are built to handle, so I think following the manufacturers instructions trumps the service guy that applies general tire knowledge to my specific situation.

thanks again!!

2014 Crusader 351 REQ Touring Edition (the Cottage)
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD SLT (Allison B)
Nights in the Cottage: 2014: 27, 2015: 80 2016: 47
2017: Jan= 2, Feb=2, Mar=2, Apr=3, May=6, June=6, July=6, Aug=6,Sept=3,
Running Total:190
Rigpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #8

In over 40 years, with everything from pop ups to a Class A Motorhome, I have always run the COLD pressure on the side of the tires.
The manufacture of the tire put that pressure on their tires for one reason. Safety.
Just keep your tires at the pressure marked on the side of the tires and fear not any longer.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:10 PM   #9

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
I agree with Old Coot.....pump them up to the sidewall pressure. Tire life and safety are the most important considerations. Also,,,consider this: Spin Balance you tires, and don't let any rv salesman tell you it's not necessary,,,,,,use a Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring System,,,,,,keep them comvered when you aren't travelling,,,,,keep them off of concrete and tarmac,,,,,,,put them up on plywood or something else,,,,,and if you have access to it,,,,,use Nitrogen,,,,,,tires wear out from the inside first and oxygen is a powerful oxidizer that will affect vulcanization. I have easy access to Nitrogen so it's easy for me to say this. You'll find many arguments for and against Nitrogen,,,,,I was a chemistry major, so I err of the side of caution,,,,,, especially after I had a tire separate in Ft Worth once that cost me $5153.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Ready to Go

I just replaced all 5 GY Marathon tires on my Sanibel 5th wheel with XPS Rib Michelin's . I was told by my tire dealer to inflate to the max cold PSI and I also inflated them with Nitro for cooler running. Enjoy your trip.. very jealous :-)

2001 F250 SD 7.3 Turbo
2013 Sanibel 39' 5th wheel.
JeffLynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crusader, pressure, prime time, tire