Old 05-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #1

Tires again

I'm done with Goodyear Marathons! I just had my 3rd ST235/80R15 Load Range E blowout. Good tread, no visible sidewall cracking. two insurance claims 1st for $4k+ and second for $2k+. I'm looking to upgrade to Load Range G (14 ply). My rims are 110 PSI and the pressure for Load Range G is 110 PSI. Will I be challenging my rims with LR G @ 110 PSI or should I buy Load Range F @ 95 PSI? I considering RubberMaster Country Wide RM86 AllSteel ST235/80R16 Trailer with Ultimate Advantage Lifetime Warranty. Yes I know they are made in China.
Or should I purchase/upgrade my rims/wheels to 145 PSI and purchase Load Range G tires.
I'm pulling a Prime Time Manufacturing 2014 Sanibel 3501 (tandem 7,500 axils) 12,750 empty with a 2011 Ford F350 SRW 6.7 diesel. Haven't weighed my trailer but each storage area is utilized fully.

Southampton2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:23 PM   #2

I think you also need to look into the reason for the blowouts. with good tread and no sidewall checking the tire must have been overloaded or under inflated and generated enough heat to cause the blowout. I wold invest in a good TPMS so you can see what the tires are doing. i don't put much stock in where tires are made it more on how they are maintained and treated by the owner.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I think you also need to look into the reason for the blowouts. with good tread and no sidewall checking the tire must have been overloaded or under inflated and generated enough heat to cause the blowout. I wold invest in a good TPMS so you can see what the tires are doing. i don't put much stock in where tires are made it more on how they are maintained and treated by the owner.
Ditto
Old 05-29-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
clr

I have a very similar arrangement a 2015 Sanibel 3601 pulled by a 2010 Ford F350 diesel. But my unit has tandem 7K axles by dexter. I had my camper weighted by RVSEF and all weights were within specifications. My Sanibel at camping weight fully loaded was 15,125 pounds and placed 3,625 pounds pin weight on to my truck. Since the Dexter axles were rated for 7K pounds, thus 3,500 pounds per tire. The Goodyear Marthons were only rated for a maximum load rating of 3,420 as I remember. So Prime Time derated the cargo capacity of the Sanibel by 2 x 80 = 160 pounds times the 2 axles = 320 pounds. Still at my camping weight I had a tire weight safety margin of between 420 to 670 pounds per tire.
I blew 2 marathons on one trip home from the south in the spring.

My solution was to replace all of the Marathons with Sailun tires. My wheels were 16 inch T3 but were only rated for 80 PSI so I also had to change my wheels also. So I purchased new Sailun 215/75R17.5 tires mounted on new 17.5 x 6.75 wheels from Tredit tire the tire suppler for Prime Time. This combination results in a load rating of H at 125psi but I only run the tires at 110 psi since I do not need the H load rating for the unit. I have ran this arrangement now for about 2 years and love the combination and the security that comes with this. I also purchased a TST 507 tire monitor system and love the sense of security.
With this arrangement I now have a safety margin on the tires and I feel that all RV's should come with a 10 to 20 percent safety margin on the tires. By the way with this arrangement I could if need be get a new tire at the major truck stops because these tires are the same as used on 18 wheels low boy trailers.
PM me if you have any questions.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:47 PM   #5

3 years ago, after a Marathon blowout at just under 6,000 miles, I had 4 Goodyear LT G614 tires mounted (& balanced w/steel stems) on my existing wheels (110 psi rated). I also went with a TPMS for added piece of mind. Now 16,800 miles later and no more tire issues!.....now, where's that block of wood to knock on.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #6

Marathons are junk

Our 2012 Sanibel (no. 19) came with Goodyear Marathons. In 2015 we towed the trailer to New York and back, from Utah, without issue. However, upon returning from the trip I noticed that two of the tires had out of alignment wear patterns (numerous potholes on I-80 and on the East Coast) so I arranged to have the trailer axles aligned. Enroute to the alignment appointment the right rear tire blew which happened to be one of the tires that was actually wearing normally. After getting the axles aligned I had a brand new set of Goodyear Marathons that Prime Time had given me for wear and tear (it's a long story) installed and balanced. Since then we haven't put 1.5K miles on the trailer/tires. My Trailer is kept in a heated RV garage so there was no tire rot or checking and the tread was like brand new. Last month we decided to make the Utah to New York trip again. I cleaned, inspected packed and adjusted the wheel bearings. Made sure all the tires were aired up to 80lbs and we were off. The third day of the trip the left rear tire blew and blew off the small side panel directly behind the tire. The fourth day of the trip, 30 miles east of Des Moines, the left front tire blew or I should say grenanded. Not only did it rip off the fender flare and trash the kitchen slide side panel, the tread grabbed and ripped out all the kitchen slide electrical harness and the refrigerator flexible gas line. We limped back to Des Moines into a Discount Tire and I told him to give me four new trailer tires and a new spare. Unfortunately all he had were Good Years but they were the Evolutions and according to the salesman made in the USA and a much improved/design over the Marathons. As much as I hated putting Goodyears back on again I didn't have a lot of choice so I had him install the Evolutions, bought the no questions asked road hazard guarantee, and fortunately we didn't have any further tire issues for the rest of the trip. BTW, I did stop at a truck stop and weighed the trailer and it wasn't even close to the max. load capacity for the trailer, axles or tires. And like I said, I aired up the tires to 80 lbs before we left as I fully realize that most trailer tire failures are due to the tires being underinflated and therefore overheating. I have since talked to numerous others who also had nothing but problems with the Marathons. Even the Discount tire salesman said they were pretty much garbage. Currently waiting for the insurance adjuster to inspect the trailer and determine how much the repairs are going to cost. I never checked, but I'm assuming the second set of Marathons were also made around 2012 so lesson learned. No matter how good the tread and sidewalls are, I'm buying new trailer tires every 5 years regardless.
usraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #7

We had a blow out with the TowMax's (stock PT tires) and then one year later with the Maxxies. We are now on to the Goodyear Endurance tiers have about 5K on them now along with TPM's system. So far I would say the Goodyear Endurance (USA Made) tires seem to be the best trailer tire on the market. Not the case with the Goodyear Marathon's (China made) tires they have always had issues. The spare tire is a Marathon we purchased last year new but I may just pull it off and put on an Endurance for piece of mind.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #8

Go with Carlisle they are awesome tires but as others have said check your weights to make sure your not over weight capacity
Old 12-16-2018, 01:14 PM   #9

So far the Goodyear Endurance tires seem to be the best USA made ST tire in the market hands down have yet to see any issues our set now has over 10Kmiles now we are super impressed with these tires.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #10

I run Michelin XPS LT's. Steel tread, steel sidewall. Durable and expensive, but worth it. Be sure to check load ratings as different sizes have different load ratings. Casings are rated to be capped three times, (not that I ever would) but means they're tough.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires