Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2014, 01:36 AM   #1

Towing 5th wheel level

Hi Everyone,

Is it critical to tow a 5th wheel so it is level? With my truck and 5th wheel parked on level pavement the 5th wheel is sitting high to the front by about a quarter of a bubble. The hitch cannot be lowered any further. Will towing with the front a bit high put extra weight and stress on the rear tires or does the suspension equalizer take care of distributing weight evenly to front and rear tires?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 AM   #2

The equalizer will tend to that fine. My only concern would be max height but odds are you're not that high.

I went under a very honest looking 14' bridge trellis this weekend, that was a stressful moment but it was ok.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Ideally you want to distribute the load equally on all 4 RV tires and axles but being off by only a 1/4 of a bubble, IMO...your ok

Old 04-15-2014, 07:56 AM   #4
Always Learning

Agreed on the above. If you're really concerned, take the camper to a weight scale and split 2 scales between the axles (you may need a spotter). You can get individual axle weights that way.

SKnight, sounds like you (like me!) really need to measure the height of your camper when it's hitched up. This is one that I keep meaning to do, just haven't yet. On level ground, all you need is a straight 2x4, a tape measure and a helper.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

SKnight, sounds like you (like me!) really need to measure the height of your camper when it's hitched up. This is one that I keep meaning to do, just haven't yet. On level ground, all you need is a straight 2x4, a tape measure and a helper.
Exact same boat. I've thought about it, more than once. But this weekend, as I approached that bridge with it's 14' sign and it looked short I just closed my eyes. It's 13'2" by spec, it's every slightly nose up when hitched. But now I have a fresh drive to measure it!

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Agreed on the above. If you're really concerned, take the camper to a weight scale and split 2 scales between the axles (you may need a spotter). You can get individual axle weights that way.

A level on the 2x4 is needed also, that way you know you're getting a proper read on the tape for right height of trailer.
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingriders View Post
A level on the 2x4 is needed also, that way you know you're getting a proper read on the tape for right height of trailer.

Great point! Thanks for correcting that. You're right- the level is needed to make the measurement is accurate.

Tags
5th wheel, towing, wheel