Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #1

Towing nose high? Need sanity check.

I have a new 2015 GMC 2500HD and a new 2014 Crusader 296bhs. I just got both of them. I'm really surprised that my stock setup has a nose high problem. I would think that Prime Time would be manufacturing for heights of the current stock trucks.

I measured the trailer frame at the front (below the battery compartment) to the ground and then measured the frame at the back of the trailer to the ground. It's about a 6" difference.

The clearance from the bed rails to the bottom of the bedroom area is currently 7". While the Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection does have one lower setting for the hitch, it would put me under 6" clearance. I'm already concerned about the pinbox potentially hitting the side bed rails on turns (I need to get out and test whether this is a real concern or not.)

So, for my sanity check, is this the correct way to measure how out of whack the level is currently?

Picture attached.
kohai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:20 PM   #2

Sorry, here's the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	not level.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	51018  
Old 04-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

You might have to put a riser kit on the suspension.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #4

Dealer did a 2" lift on my rear of 5th wheel. I was slightly nose high but not as bad as yours. My lift was actually part if a recall from crusader but it certainly leveled me out. This may be your option or some have the axles flipped in the rig. This raises it to.
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #5

I'm slightly nose-high with my Crusader, but it tows so well that I am hesitant to make any change to my setup.
Have you had a chance to tow any distance yet?

2014 Crusader 330MKS Touring Edition
2006 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
Firestone Ride-Rite air springs
SuperGlide hitch
Tbonnett65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonnett65 View Post
I'm slightly nose-high with my Crusader, but it tows so well that I am hesitant to make any change to my setup.
Have you had a chance to tow any distance yet?
I have only driven from the dealer to my house which is about 30 miles. I noticed some pushing and pulling (front to back) on bumps. It was fairly windy as well but the wind wasn't much of an issue side to side.

I've never towed a 5th wheel, so I don't have anything to compare it to.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #7

You had better talk to the Dealer about getting this leveled out. You do not want to void any warranties this early in the purchase.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #8

I would not want it to be nose high either. It is harder on the rear tires of the 5er if it is high in the front. Same for any trailer with 2 axle's.

I would not worry about the bed rail to trailer clearance unless you will be boon docking often. I have about 5" of clearance between mine and everything is level.

Also as OC said a riser on the trailer suspension may be the solution.

What is the pin weight of your 5er?
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynkage View Post
I would not want it to be nose high either. It is harder on the rear tires of the 5er if it is high in the front. Same for any trailer with 2 axle's.

I would not worry about the bed rail to trailer clearance unless you will be boon docking often. I have about 5" of clearance between mine and everything is level.

Also as OC said a riser on the trailer suspension may be the solution.

What is the pin weight of your 5er?
The primetimerv.com website lists the dry pin weight at 1350 lbs.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Lippert's Correct Track system raise the camper about 2" and provide adjustments for axle alignment. Sounds like a fix for your set-up. Here's a link... Correct Track - Alignment & Safety

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
Oklahoma Proud

I would measure the frame right in front of the front spring hanger and right at the rear of the rear axle hanger to the ground for both.
I venture a guess that there isnt going to be much more than 1"-1.5" difference. If thats the case I personally would worry about it, the equilizer will easily compensate for that much difference.

I always run nose high on all the trailers I pull. I am running about 6" higher than stock on my truck, and have never had an issue with any trailers, and all my longer trailers (30'+ and 1 is tripple axle) are probably the same 4-6"+ higher in the front than rear.
Well, Other than one state cg my tail almost drug going up an incline to our spot.

After measuring suspension points I would call lippert and ask what the tolerances on suspension variation are, before I spent to much time and money on it.
Just my 2 pennys....and of course that and a dollar thirty five might get u a cup of coffee ; )

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

Oh, btw nice settup!!

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #13

I like Dave's idea of the correct track. New trucks are getting very high and the manufacturer can't possibly change ride hight to match every year (we don't all tow with new trucks).
Old 04-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #14

I've had the same issues with the 5th wheels I've towed over the years. Prior to getting my new truck, I had the dealership put a lift on the trailer to level it out. Relatively inexpensive.
JSolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolomon View Post
I've had the same issues with the 5th wheels I've towed over the years. Prior to getting my new truck, I had the dealership put a lift on the trailer to level it out. Relatively inexpensive.
The dealer today said the trailer already has the axles flipped. They said I would need to get blocks added by a welder and they gave me a reference. I lowered my hitch down one level and it has helped -- I didn't lose much space at all between the bed rails and the 5th wheel bottom. I still need to do something but looks like it won't be through the dealer.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #16
Site Team

Nice rig. Both TV and fiver. My current fiver sits level but my bed clearance was only 5-6" on previous fiver. I have small dimples in each bedside from fiver contacting the truck in uneven diagonal RR crossing near my house. A test drive thru uneven areas and some maneuvering around in a large parking lot will let you know if you have a contact issue. Good luck.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #17
Explorer

Measurement locations could be a little off. I pick a horizontal plane to measure from the bottom of the frame is a good one. Be sure the second plane(the ground) is level, no pot-holes or drop-offs. I measured off the frame’s plane down from between axles(B) and down from tongue(A), with a 5th-er you have to project the plane out to where the pin is. The difference in the two heights (A-B) should get you darn close to how far off and how much you'll have to raise or lower or combination.

Not to complicate things but Instead of projecting forward to pin and trying to guess down from the frame’s plane. If you know the distance from pin to between the axles(plum bob and tape) you could measure that distance and down from any where on the frame. Your frame should have the same angle to the ground everywhere. The difference (A-B) will be the same
Am I explaining this right?
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

You might try driving up on stacked blocks until the trailer is level and see how much riser you will have to have on the suspension.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:41 PM   #19

These 2500HDs are pretty tall for sure. My Sandpiper was about that unlevel and I had it weighed.....WHOA. "Nearly" dry weight of both axles was 9800lbs. Rear axle was dying with 6200lbs on it and 3600 on the front. I lowered the head of my B&W Companion 2 holes (around 2") and the load changed to 5220 on the front axle and 4580 on the rear. This put me at a very short 6" between the bedrails and the FW. Thinking about moving back up 1 hole since most of the stuff we load in the FW is forward of the front axle. Fortunately I did not have to mess with my FW suspension. OC and the guys will help you figure this one out for sure.
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #20

I have the same problem with my 8280WS and 2013 F350 SWR. Unfortunately, I have Alko torsion axles and there is no adjustment available. I weighed the axles separately and found around 300 lbs. more weight on the rear axle, but still less than the axle or tire rating. Since the 8280WS is a rear kitchen, some of the weight difference could be just the floorplan. I towed it around 1300 miles and noticed no adverse effects. I also had Tire Minders, and saw no significant difference in either pressure or temperature readings, front to rear, albeit in January. As to the chucking, I was previously towing with a Silverado 1500, and had chucking that was very annoying. I changed out the pin box for a Reese Airborne, and it made a big difference.
MikeInRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing